• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Firstly Van Gaal was clearly courted and then turned us down. Benitez? Do you seriously think he would have a) left a cushty job guaranteed CL qualifier every year for us where his spending ability would have been greatly reduced compared to what he's been traditionally used to?

If you'd brought up other names and given details as to how they would have played, trained our players etc i would have found it more interesting. As it is it sounds like you are crying over spilt milk because as i say we DID try t get one of those names but HE turned us down whilst the other would likely have not come anyway especially with the period of austerity we are about to enter (if we haven't already).

I do agree that winners breed winners though

But even that is not a given especially at Spurs. After all Ramos was a double Europa League winner who crashed and burnt at Spurs, AVB a treble winner. Rodgers though has won nothing but looks like he will do well at Liverpool.

But even that is not a given especially at Spurs. After all Ramos was a double Europa League winner who crashed and burnt at Spurs, AVB a treble winner. Rodgers though has won nothing but looks like he will do well at Liverpool.

There is a big difference with consistent winners over many many years and the latest "flavour of the month" like Ramos and AVB. Flash in the pans.

No you're right. But winners are MORE LIKELY to breed winners and a winning mentality in a team and a club. I am happy with Poch on the whole but he is learning about how to be a winning manager as much as our players. We as a club have to hope the two learning processes lead to success for the club in the near future.

There is a big difference with consistent winners over many many years and the latest "flavour of the month" like Ramos and AVB. Flash in the pans.

That may be so, but those who have years of success tend to go to those above us in the pecking order. Even Van Gaal turned us down for a faltering Manure.

No you're right. But winners are MORE LIKELY to breed winners and a winning mentality in a team and a club. I am happy with Poch on the whole but he is learning about how to be a winning manager as much as our players. We as a club have to hope the two learning processes lead to success for the club in the near future.
Isn't it a given that every manager who goes into football wants to be a winner? But in most cases managers are not given the resources to be "winners." Take Mourinho, the ultimate "winner" won nothing last season because he did not have the players at his disposal to play how he wanted. If Poch is to succeed IMO, he needs to be given backing by the board or forget it. If he fails IMO it will not be because of a lack of desire to win. It would be interesting to see how well he would do if he was backed as well as redknapp and AVB. This is why I fundamentally disagree with Shaney's assessment of Poch this season or that another more experienced manager would have come in and necessarily done better. Blimey we have been the graveyard of a number of good managers over the years.

Isn't it a given that every manager who goes into football wants to be a winner? But in most cases managers are not given the resources at their to be "winners." Take Mourinho, the ultimate "winner" won nothing last season because he did not have the players at his disposal to play how he wanted. If Poch is to succeed IMO, he needs to be given backing by the board or forget it. It would be interesting to see how well he would do if he was backed as well as redknapp and AVB. This is why I fundamentally disagree with Shaney's assessment of Poch this season or that another more experienced manager would have come in and necessarily done better.
Agreed.

Blimey we have been the graveyard of a number of good managers over the years.

And strikers!

That may be so, but those who have years of success tend to go to those above us in the pecking order. Even Van Gaal turned us down for a faltering Manure.

To be fair, that was because it was clear towards the end of the season that Moyes would get the boot and the Man Utd job was going to be available.

AVB was sacked in Dec and we could and should gave tied up the deal there and then, with an agreement to start after the world cup as LVG didnt want to split jobs.

To be fair, that was because it was clear towards the end of the season that Moyes would get the boot and the Man Utd job was going to be available.

AVB was sacked in Dec and we could and should gave tied up the deal there and then, with an agreement to start after the world cup as LVG didnt want to split jobs.

You talk as if you ACTUALLY think we didn't try this?!

Isn't it a given that every manager who goes into football wants to be a winner? But in most cases managers are not given the resources to be "winners." Take Mourinho, the ultimate "winner" won nothing last season because he did not have the players at his disposal to play how he wanted. If Poch is to succeed IMO, he needs to be given backing by the board or forget it. If he fails IMO it will not be because of a lack of desire to win. It would be interesting to see how well he would do if he was backed as well as redknapp and AVB. This is why I fundamentally disagree with Shaney's assessment of Poch this season or that another more experienced manager would have come in and necessarily done better. Blimey we have been the graveyard of a number of good managers over the years.

was redknapp backed? if he was it was because he got players on a budged that levy could not say no to.

how well was avb backed? I see eerie similarities between avb and poch right now both on and off the pitch. recall avb wanted 2-3 world class talents but we gave him the magnificent 7 :)

the structural difficulty we face is that we are a non-champions league funded club trying to afford champions league quality players, and hence our wage structure is going to be a challenge until we find new revenue sources to balance the books (i.e. bigger stadium gate, new larger endorsement deals).

the big screw up for levy to me was not to strengthen during the year we made it to champions league. who knows what a second season of CL might do for a club in our position.

for now, we make do with poch, and he has got to do better than AVB than clamour for new and better players only. there will be a time where he needs to show an understanding of football tactics and awareness of the competitive big picture, to demonstrate that he can get more out of the squad than on paper. that may require him to be less dogmatic about his philosophy and start making gambles on sticking with a strong starting eleven to keep the momentum and spirit going.

was redknapp backed?

Yes in his first transfer window he got Wilson palacios, then jermaine Defoe and Robbie Keane, all high quality, expensive players . He then over subsequent transfer windows got niko kranjcar, Peter crouch, Steven pienaar, Adebayor Vdv and Scott Parker (even though levy had Doubts). Also levy stopped the sale of Modric giving Redknapp another year with him. I believe redknapp was very well backed. The myth that he wasn't comes from his last Christmas window when he allegedly wanted tevez and Remy but got Saha and Ryan Nelson. But as many posters say no manager is ever given all the players they want.

how well was avb backed? I see eerie similarities between avb and poch right now both on and off the pitch. recall avb wanted 2-3 world class talents but we gave him the magnificent 7 :)

If only Poch could sit on a transfer committee which has 100 million to spend.

for now, we make do with poch, and he has got to do better than AVB than clamour for new and better players only. there will be a time where he needs to show an understanding of football tactics and awareness of the competitive big picture, to demonstrate that he can get more out of the squad than on paper. that may require him to be less dogmatic about his philosophy and start making gambles on sticking with a strong starting eleven to keep the momentum and spirit going.

I don't think that Poch is anything like AVB. Allegedly when AVB did not get Moutinho he went ballistic and failed to identify alternatives. Poch did not get any of his first choice players but I have not heard that he threw a strop or that he has been clamouring for new players. In fact he has done everything that you have said he should. But here's a thing, his success will be built on a system which he is working to implement. Rodgers has done the same at liverpool. If we want Poch to be anywhere near as successful then he needs to be given backing similar to what Rodgers has been given. He has already surpassed what Rodgers achieved in his first season and he had suarez and Sturridge.

/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The truth is we're not good enough and can't match our rivals on and off the pitch.

The only we way can over come this is the academy or at least youth, infact as things stand the only we can get a team to string together more than 3 passes and not look disjointed is the academy.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have no patience, if you think that only money or bringing in someone who can walk on water can fulfill this club's ambitions then you need a re-think. The year is 2015, not 1961 or even 1991 for that matter, we haven't won a trophy in 7 years and we haven't got the financial or fanbase capacity that our rivals have. Take Arsenal for example, their matchday revenue equates to 78% of Ligue 1's entire gate receipts (L'Equipe, Feb 2015), we don't have that, let alone the financial clout of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

It's very easy to get angry or even jealous when looking at our rivals' records over the past 20 years when comparing it with ours but to channel all the anger from that into a manager who is trying his best to not only install his own philosopy but also a winning mentality into one of the most challenging clubs in the Prem is not the way to go about it. We have to look at the positives because if we don't then we'll spiral down into the same old stagnation and infighting that nearly destroyed this club.

The positives are as follows;

- We have reached our first cup final in 6 years.
- We have the youngest team in the Premier League.
- We have one of the best strikers in the league, of whom is still only 21.
- We had 5 academy graduates in the line up.
- We have one of the best goalkeepers in the World.

The thing that amazes about your posts is that we have a new manager, with new ideas, new methods and to an extent a new spine with Dier (21), Mason (23), kane (21) and above all else a very small budget and yet due to your frustrations built up over the years, of which we all share, you see him to be a failure because of today's defeat.

It is so easy to wish your life away, to wish that we had instead got Van Gaal, to wish that we sack Poch and bring in somone like Jurgen Klopp or Diego Simeone, but the reality is you have to accept the cards you're dealt with. Yes, we lost today, yes we don't have that experianced world class coach and yes we don't spend all the money in the World, but what we do have is a manager with the same belief and self drive than the one that we missed out on, he may not be able to spalsh the cash but he has one of the best academies in Europe and one of the best training facilities in the World.

Whilst your points have been taken into consideration by some, especially the Mourinho and Fergie praiseing us whilst basking in Victory, you're anger filled views are an example of what this club should avoid, over ambition as a result of bitterness from past failures or the success of rivals. It is time we concentrate on ourselves, nobody else, do something new or different, not copy everybody else just because 'it works'.

was redknapp backed? if he was it was because he got players on a budged that levy could not say no to.

the structural difficulty we face is that we are a non-champions league funded club trying to afford champions league quality players, and hence our wage structure is going to be a challenge until we find new revenue sources to balance the books (i.e. bigger stadium gate, new larger endorsement deals).

the big screw up for levy to me was not to strengthen during the year we made it to champions league. who knows what a second season of CL might do for a club in our position.

He will need to adapt and change during a game as well. Today, there was a case at 2-0'down to go for a 4-4-2 system and load the ball into the box, preferably taking advantage of the wet slippery conditions by keeping it low. Maybe give the disappointing Chadli and Townsend 1o mins to play as conventional wingers. The sight of Soldado delivering crosses from the right to one man in the middle was, probably a cry for the kind of delivery he thrives on. But we really did not show much flexibility.
For the moment we need to tighten up defensively, then have a plan B for teams parking the bus.
Hopefully, in the summer Levy will give him players he really wants and not third choice, third rate water-carriers. However, Levy will have to accept some losses to trim the squad, which Levy doesn't like to do.

He will need to adapt and change during a game as well. Today, there was a case at 2-0'down to go for a 4-4-2 system and load the ball into the box, preferably taking advantage of the wet slippery conditions by keeping it low. Maybe give the disappointing Chadli and Townsend 1o mins to play as conventional wingers. The sight of Soldado delivering crosses from the right to one man in the middle was, probably a cry for the kind of delivery he thrives on. But we really did not show much flexibility.
For the moment we need to tighten up defensively, then have a plan B for teams parking the bus.
Hopefully, in the summer Levy will give him players he really wants and not third choice, third rate water-carriers. However, Levy will have to accept some losses to trim the squad, which Levy doesn't like to do.

It was no more 442.
It was the same formation we always use.

that last season - probably hurt us the most though, i mean saha and nelsen... not sure if it was levy or redknapp but we were in a good position for a final push.

furthermore backing an inexperience manager like poch could be a dangerous thing. i'm sure poch would say we needed fitter faster players in depth, but i wonder if such a workmanlike team while looks good to challenge for top four, would have enough guile to win us honours.

in any case the recruitment by committe has been strengthened with paul mitchell helming player performance analytics. to be polically correct, "backing the manager" is the same as "backing the committee". poch can't get who he wants unless mitchell, baldini and levy agrees.

At least one upside to losing yesterday is that Spurs avoid becoming the latest club to fall victim of the League Cup managerial curse!

Thus Pochettino should have a few more seasons with us to build upon the foundations of what what many of us have already seen these past few months.

Out of all the cups, particularly the Europa. Gives him generally a full week with the players on the training pitch to prepare for the games. Let's hope we kick on now and give it a real good go in the league, finish the season on a high then he can go to the committee and work with them to get his team how he wants in the summer.

Any reason to think that this was possible at that time?

Or is this just you claiming that we could do it?

LvG is and was a huge name, was it really unreasonable for him to wait until the summer to assess his options instead of just signing for us?

that last season - probably hurt us the most though, i mean saha and nelsen... not sure if it was levy or redknapp but we were in a good position for a final push.

furthermore backing an inexperience manager like poch could be a dangerous thing. i'm sure poch would say we needed fitter faster players in depth, but i wonder if such a workmanlike team while looks good to challenge for top four, would have enough guile to win us honours.

in any case the recruitment by committe has been strengthened with paul mitchell helming player performance analytics. to be polically correct, "backing the manager" is the same as "backing the committee". poch can't get who he wants unless mitchell, baldini and levy agrees.

We're clearly wanting hard work along with quality on the ball. It's not an either or situation.

Yes there's a committee, I think that's a good thing.

Back