• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Its the typical Spurs loser mentality to say we are over achieving and should just be happy to be there today. The likes of Birmingham, Wigan and Swansea have WON tropheys since we last won one, yet we should be grateful to just get to the final.

As I said before, when Poch was appointed did he convince Levy he could improve and get the best out of this current squad or was he told "you can buy whatever players you want, money no object". I dont think so somehow.

The general consensus is that its not Poch's fault and that a majority of our players just arent good enough, and not to worry, as everything will be hunky dory when Poch gets rid of the (many) players he does'nt want and brings in the (many) players he does want. The flaw in that plan is that anyone expecting us to ship out over 10 players in the summer and bring in 10 new signings is living in a dream world. We will bring in a couple of new signings for sure and ship out a few but the ugly truth is that a lot of the current squad will be here next season, although probably even weaker as (GHod forbid) the likes of Loris and Eriksen could be gone.

My point is that if Poch has'nt improved certain players to work in his system so far, what evidence is there to suggest he will be able to do it next year, because make no mistake, whatever dream world some may be living in, a LOT of this current squad will be the same next year. Individual moments of brilliance by the likes of Kane and Eriksen this season have'nt clouded my judgment to how poor we have been overall in a majority of our games.
So what's the answer? Sack Poch? Can I say it was not just been individual moments of brilliance that beat Chelsea and arsenal, but the team pressing their opponents into mistakes. If we fail to back Poch then it is the club's fault if we don't progress. That will be the same whoever the manager is.

were Birmingham, Wigan and Swansea not overachieving Shaney?

and do you think another manager would be doing better after 8/9 months with this group?

But thats my point. All Im hearing is excuses that Chelsea have better players and more money etc so we basically we should be happy just to be there. But recent history shows that you dont have to be the richer, better, more experienced team to win - other teams have over achieved and won. Your calling losing over achieving.

Do I think another manager could be doing better with this squad ? Yes.

But thats my point. All Im hearing is excuses that Chelsea have better players and more money etc so we basically we should be happy just to be there. But recent history shows that you dont have to be the richer, better, more experienced team to win - other teams have over achieved and won. Your calling losing over achieving.

F@cking hell some fans are never happy.

Look how gutted and frustrated Poch looked today, and people are whinging about small club mentality. Get fecking real, look at our record over the past 24 years, hardly says big club to me.

For years we failed miserably in the league constantly finishing mid table, then we lowered our expectations and have improved since with 7 Top 6 finishes in 9 years. The hope is that the same can happen with the cups, take it step by step, if you expect the youngest and least experianced team in the league to destroy the most experianced team in the league, which btw started with goalkeeper of whom has literally won the lot (13 major trophies before today), then you desperately need a reality check.

Chelsea won today because they had a little luck and did EVERYTHING they could to stop us playing, nothing else.

Fair enough. Who and how?

Shaney, I was watching some tottenham games from our recent past and was struck at the tremendous balance there was in those teams. Even Before the peak of Vdv, modric, bale and Ade, we had palacios, king Corluka, modric, bale, and lennon with Huddlestone playing holding alongside palacios with Defoe and Crouch up front. Redknapp was heavily backed by Levy and we had an embarrassment of riches compared to what Poch has had this season. AVB was also heavily backed (disastrously in hindsight. Despite this Poch has still got us to a cup final and smashed both Chelsea and Arsenal at home. This season, our midfield has had bentaleb and Mason, with Kane up front on his own because our 2 main strikers have misfired. We are using Academy players and are inconsistent. In my opinion we will need to back Poch in the transfer market to succeed look at mourinho's team last season before he had a chance to bring in his own players this season.

fair enough

my opinion is that most of the time, most of the titles are won by the teams with the better players, thats the order of the universe, it's only when you are truly the best that there is nothing to celebrate

Pochettino said in a previous interview that we don't have any money. I'm not sure that we'll be able to provide him the backing that he deserves.

I'd imagine that we'll only be able to spend the money that we make through player sales. Chances are we'll buy any players in late July/start of August, so they won't have the pre season that they'll need to reach optimal levels.

I hope that I'm wrong, just basing this on Poch saying that there is no money & our lack of activity in January which would support Poch's statement.

Redknapp mate with Jordan, bond and a whole host of useless coaches.

mate do you seriously think "fair enough?"

Fair enough as in he has his view; now i'd like him to explain who would get better out of the squad right now and how they would do it. I'm interested to hear what Shaney has to say.

For all the Poch haters you should go and listen to what Mourinho had to say regarding Poch after the game. He knows the guy is special. Most people in the game think so. A lot of us fans can see it. I am happy today. He is the right man. I hope the club invest in him fully.

fair enough

my opinion is that most of the time, most of the titles are won by the teams with the better players, thats the order of the universe, it's only when you are truly the best that there is nothing to celebrate

I do agree that happens most of the time, but my point is im frustrated that losing is being celebrated when its a game we could have won.

Contary to what some may think I like Poch, he seems like a very decent bloke. Its not his fault he's not experienced enough in managment. But thats exactly why I didnt think he was the right man. What we needed was exactly the opposite - an experienced manager who has worked with a lot of different clubs and loads of different players, who had the experience to "know" how to get the best out of a squad which clearly isnt the best. We pinned our hopes on the latest "bright young manager" (again) when experience was what was needed to get us back to the top 4 where we had been so recently before. Poch may turn out to be a brilliant manager, but personally I did'nt want my club to be a training course for him to learn.

Just back from Wembley (not bad going tonight)

Despite fearing the worst, I am still extremely gutted with today's result, but it just wasn't our day today. We are never to going know, but just what if Eriksen had not hit the bar, small margins. Going down to two deflected goals as well.

Dont know how it looked on the box, but I could have sworn Chelsea had signed Tom Daley I have never seen so many professional footballers fall down with so little contact. If that's the way they have to win a football match, then you keep it. I feel Mourinho's pre-match mindgames worked, not a good performance from the ref. he fell for every trick in the book, rose-tinted specs possibly...

Just back from Wembley (not bad going tonight)

Despite fearing the worst, I am still extremely gutted with today's result, but it just wasn't our day today. We are never to going know, but just what if Eriksen had not hit the bar, small margins. Going down to two deflected goals as well.

Dont know how it looked on the box, but I could have sworn Chelsea had signed Tom Daley I have never seen so many professional footballers fall down with so little contact. If that's the way they have to win a football match, then you keep it. I feel Mourinho's pre-match mindgames worked, not a good performance from the ref. he fell for every trick in the book, rose-tinted specs possibly...
Costa was vile, the rest of them were as bad as any premiership side would be. Sadly.

I do agree that happens most of the time, but my point is im frustrated that losing is being celebrated when its a game we could have won.

Contary to what some may think I like Poch, he seems like a very decent bloke. Its not his fault he's not experienced enough in managment. But thats exactly why I didnt think he was the right man. What we needed was exactly the opposite - an experienced manager who has worked with a lot of different clubs and loads of different players, who had the experience to "know" how to get the best out of a squad which clearly isnt the best. We pinned our hopes on the latest "bright young manager" (again) when experience was what was needed to get us back to the top 4 where we had been so recently before. Poch may turn out to be a brilliant manager, but personally I did'nt want my club to be a training course for him to learn.

Ok, but as i asked earlier WHO should that manager have been?

P.S. - Agree with you about celebrating a loss, but tbf i think whilst some are thinking in a pie-in-the-sky fashion, most are trying to be positive and realistic about where we are as club and the job being done by Poch. As long as we finish in the top 6 i'll be happy

For all the Poch haters you should go and listen to what Mourinho had to say regarding Poch after the game. He knows the guy is special. Most people in the game think so. A lot of us fans can see it. I am happy today. He is the right man. I hope the club invest in him fully.

Happy that the smug manager who beat us is praising our losing manager, bit like Fergie praising us for years while beating us year in and year out.

Ok, but as i asked earlier WHO should that manager have been?

P.S. - Agree with you about celebrating a loss, but tbf i think whilst some are thinking in a pie-in-the-sky fashion, most are trying to be positive and realistic about where we are as club and the job being done by Poch. As long as we finish in the top 6 i'll be happy

Fair enough as in he has his view; now i'd like him to explain who would get better out of the squad right now and how they would do it. I'm interested to hear what Shaney has to say.

As I said before, I would'nt have appointed Poch in the first place, but
before his appointment I said that Van Gaal or Benitez would have been better suited to the job. That may fill some with horror but winners breed winners, it knocks on to others and it becomes a cycle. Would it have been champagne football lovely on the eye every week, no of course not, but would we now be sitting in the top 4, yes I think so considering the other contendors. We are not exactly playing the beautiful game under Poch as it is. I just think that given that it is obvious (to some anyway) that we will not be shelling out £100 million on new players anytime soon, we needed someone vastly experienced to get the best out of what we DO have.

Of course, there are no guarantees in football. It could have been a disaster, but I'd rather be a Man Utd fan moaning about LVG while playing Champions League football next year then us scrapping in the Europa league (at best). Considering the contendors were a very mediocre Arsenal, a Liverpool side who lost their best player (like we did the year before) and a Man Utd side in dissarray after the Moyes shambles, we did'nt actually have to be "that" good to get top 4 this season. I think experience would have got us there.

before his appointment I said that Van Gaal or Benitez would have been better suited to the job. That may fill some with horror but winners breed winners, it knocks on to others and it becomes a cycle. Would it have been champagne football lovely on the eye every week, no of course not, but would we now be sitting in the top 4, yes I think so considering the other contendors. We are not exactly playing the beautiful game under Poch as it is. I just think that given that it is obvious (to some anyway) that we will not be shelling out £100 million on new players anytime soon, we needed someone vastly experienced to get the best out of what we DO have.

Of course, there are no guarantees in football. It could have been a disaster, but I'd rather be a Man Utd fan moaning about LVG while playing Champions League football next year then us scrapping in the Europa league (at best). Considering the contendors were a very mediocre Arsenal, a Liverpool side who lost their best player (like we did the year before) and a Man Utd side in dissarray after the Moyes shambles, we did'nt actually have to be "that" good to get top 4 this season. I think experience would have got us there.

How do you think that they would have done on our budget? And do you think that they would have been as willing as Poch to promote players from the youth set up?

Firstly Van Gaal was clearly courted and then turned us down. Benitez? Do you seriously think he would have a) left a cushty job guaranteed CL qualifier every year for us where his spending ability would have been greatly reduced compared to what he's been traditionally used to?

If you'd brought up other names and given details as to how they would have played, trained our players etc i would have found it more interesting. As it is it sounds like you are crying over spilt milk because as i say we DID try t get one of those names but HE turned us down whilst the other would likely have not come anyway especially with the period of austerity we are about to enter (if we haven't already).

I do agree that winners breed winners though

How do you think that they would have done on our budget? And do you think that they would have been as willing as Poch to promote players from the youth set up?
Might I also add that LVG has spent millions at Utd and yet it looks like Rodgers will beat him to 4th. Also under Benitez liverpool ended up on their path to mediocrity which has only just been arrested last season by Rodgers.

Back