• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

Watching him now in the U-19 game vs Dortmund, and I must say I'm struggling to get the hype around him. He doesn't look significantly better than the others. He's not dominating at that level, and was just subbed with 20 minutes to go. Looks some way off being in the first team squad.

I can't agree. Yes there are times during the game where he's wasteful or not involved enough but that's often the case for attacking players, more importantly though he consistently shows that he's capable of making things happen. He set up the first goal with an excellent piece of play, won a penalty where he absolutely bamboozled the defender(unfortunately he then missed the resulting pen) and there was a spell in the 2nd half shortly before he was taken off where everything was going through him. There are still limitations to his game(mostly physical) and other things he still needs to improve on but his quality is clear.

I can't agree. Yes there are times during the game where he's wasteful or not involved enough but that's often the case for attacking players, more importantly though he consistently shows that he's capable of making things happen. He set up the first goal with an excellent piece of play, won a penalty where he absolutely bamboozled the defender(unfortunately he then missed the resulting pen) and there was a spell in the 2nd half shortly before he was taken off where everything was going through him. There are still limitations to his game(mostly physical) and other things he still needs to improve on but his quality is clear.
Agree, good analysis. Only saw the second half like you say most attacks were going through him, though Shashoua and Maghoma also contributed. Got the impression though that he (Edwards) needs to work a bit more on his end product / final ball but that is maybe being hypercritical.

I couldn't agree more. Our academy has developed tons of excellent footballers, but to my knowledge, we haven't ever been able to develop a real defense-breaking dribbler like Edwards (or possibly Shashoua, though I've seen him less). Those players tend to be the most valuable in the world, and from what I've read, the hardest to produce.

Sure, he can drift through games at times (though I think his work-rate has been decent in the UYL Games), but so can Ousmane Dembele, Salah, or Hazard, until those key moments when they find and opportunity and change a game at the drop of a hat. Obviously, ME is a loooong way from those guys, but he's the first Academy player that I've seen that has that kind of potential. You can't teach his close control, change of direction, or long-range finishing. Also, his ability to draw penalties is insane. I feel like he gets one every other game that I see.

I'd love to see what he'd be like in a really well functioning side like our first team, as I really think that could make a huge difference to his game.

Watching him now in the U-19 game vs Dortmund, and I must say I'm struggling to get the hype around him. He doesn't look significantly better than the others. He's not dominating at that level, and was just subbed with 20 minutes to go. Looks some way off being in the first team squad.
How much have you seen him play?

This wasn't his best game at all. But even so he was the best attacking player on the pitch. Dangerous every time he got the ball in good or even decent attacking positions.

Great close control, wonderful ability to go past players, creativity, very good finisher from 20 yards and in. Reasonable defensively in our youth setup these days. I really don't see what's not to like about him.

How much have you seen him play?

This wasn't his best game at all. But even so he was the best attacking player on the pitch. Dangerous every time he got the ball in good or even decent attacking positions.

Great close control, wonderful ability to go past players, creativity, very good finisher from 20 yards and in. Reasonable defensively in our youth setup these days. I really don't see what's not to like about him.
I've only seen him 5 or 6 times, and he hasn't really impressed me. He does have great ball control, but loses posession quite a lot too. He is clearly talented, but my point is that from what I have seen, there are other youth players that look very good, maybe not at Edward's technical level, but in my eyes still look more ready for the senior level.

Replace Alli with Edwards against APOEL and lets at let show him he'll get his chances if he stays with us longer term. Might need Big Vic and Dier behind him.

Replace Alli with Edwards against APOEL and lets at let show him he'll get his chances if he stays with us longer term. Might need Big Vic and Dier behind him.

Yep. I'd like to see one or two youngsters get an hour against Apoel, partly for development purposes and partly in case they're someone who takes to men's football as quickly as someone like Winks did.

Yep. I'd like to see one or two youngsters get an hour against Apoel, partly for development purposes and partly in case they're someone who takes to men's football as quickly as someone like Winks did.

I fully apprecite fans want to see him after all the hype, but he'll get his chance when he's proved to Poch he's ready, playing too soon can sometimes set a player back. It's my opinion that he's not shown enough improvement this season, he has ability but needs to use the ball better, Foden at City looks a much better player.

Exceptional balance and close control. Could be quicker to release the ball though, but that will come with experience. Very exciting prospect.

I think if he were to play with Eriksen, Alli, Kane etc then he'd pick and choose his moments better. Right now he plays both with and without responsibility and by that I mean he knows he can get away with doing too much because there's no real consequences if he loses the ball a few times but he also has the responsibility of being the main man so to speak. Although I don't necessarily think he's too good for youth football, I do think he's getting to the point where he needs to start learning what it takes to succeed at senior level. I don't know how much he's really in Pochettino's thoughts at the moment though, I wouldn't rule out him going on loan in January tbh if he pushes for it.

I fully apprecite fans want to see him after all the hype, but he'll get his chance when he's proved to Poch he's ready, playing too soon can sometimes set a player back. It's my opinion that he's not shown enough improvement this season, he has ability but needs to use the ball better, Foden at City looks a much better player.

My post didnt actually name Edwards, though he'd obviously be 1 of the 4 or 5 candidates. Would be good to see Sterling off the bench for a bit against them given we lack CFs for example in case, like Winks, he makes the transition quickly and easily.

He looked sharp in those games, good balance, touch, draws men in and skips past them with ease. As Robbo says, he does look like he holds onto it too long at times, but that doesn't overly bother me atm.

I'd like to see him get game time against Apoel.

He played against Gillingham last season and looked better than GKN
He's being kept out of the first team squad to make a point. Hopefully he now gets it and is knuckling down, but Poch is a hard task master for anyone who plays up.

Very much doubt he'll get a look in against APOEL, but if he keeps performing well into the New Year then maybe he'll get a few minutes in one of our FA cup games - if he doesn't go out on loan come the window.

Going mainly by his performance against BVB I fancy Shashoua is not far behind him either. Could even get a look in ahead of Edwards imo.

Back