• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

I saw that

He is still far from the first team squad. It looks like he is having to work doubly hard to prove Poch wrong.

It's a clickbait article, I'm not sure it's worth reading much into. There is a lot of padding around a single quote. Going by what Poch actually said, is there anything to disagree with here:

"Sometimes I wonder whether it was wise to liken him (Edwards) to Messi. He's only 17. At that age, Messi was making his debut for a Barcelona side featuring Ronaldinho,"

Reading the latest parts from the book, I really think the lad will have a hard job to convince Poch he is worthy of a spot in the squad. Seems the are serious behavioural issues with him.

Reading the latest parts from the book, I really think the lad will have a hard job to convince Poch he is worthy of a spot in the squad. Seems the are serious behavioural issues with him.

Well, the hope is that as those quotes were made 12 months ago, things might have changed.
He did sign a new contract in the summer so that seems positive (leaving to one side any cynicism about securing a return should we sell him).

It's extremely difficult to judge these things from the outside. We have almost none of the information available to Pochettino and a mere snapshot into part of his reasoning a year ago to go on.

Who could see Winks coming through the way he did when he did. He wasn't talked about as much as Edwards or Onomah so no one complained about him not breaking through yet. But when he did break through he did so brilliantly.

Edwards could be on the verge of a similar breakthrough, or Pochettino could think that he's far from the first team and others will be prioritized. We can guess and speculate on those two extremes, but at more nuanced points on the spectrum between them we have essentially no idea.

What we do know is that what's happening with Edwards isn't dissimilar to what's happened with other players. And that Pochettino is excellent at developing young players and giving them game time when ready for it. Both point towards patience from the fans, for both Pochettino and Edwards.

It's extremely difficult to judge these things from the outside. We have almost none of the information available to Pochettino and a mere snapshot into part of his reasoning a year ago to go on.

Who could see Winks coming through the way he did when he did. He wasn't talked about as much as Edwards or Onomah so no one complained about him not breaking through yet. But when he did break through he did so brilliantly.

Edwards could be on the verge of a similar breakthrough, or Pochettino could think that he's far from the first team and others will be prioritized. We can guess and speculate on those two extremes, but at more nuanced points on the spectrum between them we have essentially no idea.

What we do know is that what's happening with Edwards isn't dissimilar to what's happened with other players. And that Pochettino is excellent at developing young players and giving them game time when ready for it. Both point towards patience from the fans, for both Pochettino and Edwards.
Eg Alex Pritchard.

A link followed by a statement like you posted really makes it look like the statement follows from what's in the link. Seems much more like a point of fact than "just an opinion".

I really don't see what's the problem. :confused:

Ok how about this. My opinion, based on what I've read, is that Edwards will leave the club in the next year or two. Not a fact, just an opinion. Ok with that?

I really don't see what's the problem. :confused:

Ok how about this. My opinion, based on what I've read, is that Edwards will leave the club in the next year or two. Not a fact, just an opinion. Ok with that?
That's much more clear. I'm guessing you understand why that's more clear.

I think Poch needs to give him some sub appearances. More tricky than GNK and probably just as talented.
I think it's quite likely that Pochettino is doing a similar thing to what he did with Kane.

Based on recent reports of Bellague's book. Setting clear targets for him to work towards in training (and perhaps u23 games), and Edwards will be rewarded with first team bench appearances and game time when he's done that for long enough.

I think it's quite likely that Pochettino is doing a similar thing to what he did with Kane.

Based on recent reports of Bellague's book. Setting clear targets for him to work towards in training (and perhaps u23 games), and Edwards will be rewarded with first team bench appearances and game time when he's done that for long enough.

Sounds like he's not even training with the first team anymore though? At least Kane wasn't too far away. Edwards seems to really need to prove his attitude has changed.

When you look at the fine group of top players out there as seen in all the England youth teams this summer. Edwards is one of many fine prospects. What IMHO will make or break him will be his attitude and drive to be better. The last couple of games I've been able to watch him, drifted out of games. His stand out ability is in his close control and he has won a fair few penalties using this skill. If he loses the ball a couple time though he looks almost disinterested. I thought he was the best young players I've seen in a long while a year or so ago. I hope he has the personality and drive to harness his obvious skills. With the likes of Foden and Sancho around he can't rest on his laurels. The bar is now extremely high for all young hopefuls.

Edwards seems to really need to prove his attitude has changed.

Is his question really in doubt? He captains our under 23s team I think when the normal captain (Pritchard) isn't playing which doesn't suggest that he's viewed as someone with a dodgy attitude

Jordan Sancho is now getting game time in the Bundesliga, weren't they meant to be on a par a year or so back?

Back