• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Corluka is a very good rightback, but not a very good centerback.

When it comes to who is better between Walker and Corluka, I guess it comes down to personal preference. They're both good but very different players.

Corluka is a very good rightback, but not a very good centerback.

When it comes to who is better between Walker and Corluka, I guess it comes down to personal preference. They're both good but very different players.

stop with your reason! I demand anyway another sixty page circular debate

I like Corluka at right back. He is big, strong, excellent positioning and off the ball movement and for a full back he is very composed and rarely gives the ball away cheaply. He also rarely gets beat one on one even by the paciest of wingers.

At centre back? He was bloody awful everytime he played for us there! He is very flat footed and not got a decent leap on him at all (which is also why even as a full back he was poor defending set pieces IMO) and his defending style at right back is one thing but he is so easily turned and got behind when playing centrally. Was very surprised to see him play there for Croatia, especially on the left side where he looks even worse!

I personally thought they'd play Srna at right midfield, but as much as I like Corluka there is no way he is getting that right back spot in front of Srna. Srna is a class player, or at least has been everytime I've seen him.

I think the main difference is speed... Corluka is s----l----o----w.... but experience CAN compensate to an extent... which it has for him... at times.

Walker is fastaslightening, but his youthful exuberance sometimes means he's caught out of position, or IN possession...

Given the choice, I'd go with Walker, only 'cos Corluka is probably as good as he's going to get... Walker still has room (and time) for improvement.

Mind you, we haven't see walker play CB yet... THEN maybe we can form a more well-rounded opinion!

Kyle Walker relishes new chapter at Tottenham under André Villas-Boas

Tottenham right-back is aiming to stay the course this season after suffering injury heartbreak at the end of last season

It is just as well that Kyle Walker draws strength from the setbacks. The Tottenham Hotspur right-back endured a tumultuous finale to last season, when it might have felt as if the preceding eight months of achievement had seen the shine dulled from them.

The PFA's young player of the year broke the little toe of his left foot in the third last match at Bolton Wanderers, yet he gritted his teeth and played on.

The injury would worsen in the final game of his breakthrough campaign – against Fulham – and, rather abruptly, he was taking a phone-call from Roy Hodgson and hearing that he would not be included in the England squad for Euro 2012.

Walker had an x-ray on the toe two weeks ago and the bone was still broken. There will be no problem for the start of next season, he says, but the chance to compete with Team GB at the London Olympics had also gone.

On top of the international blows was the cruel cut when Chelsea's Champions League triumph deprived fourth-placed Tottenham of a spot in next season's competition and then Harry Redknapp, the manager who had bought him from Sheffield United and given him his Tottenham debut, was sacked. "It was mixed feelings for me," Walker said. "We were 13 points clear of Arsenal [in third in late February] and I thought we should have been third. You have to get on with it, deal with it and put it right this year."

Walker is known for his level head as much as for his surging runs and the capacity to strike spectacularly; his goals against Arsenal and Blackburn Rovers were highlight-reel material last term. But he cannot suppress the excitement he feels ahead of next season.

Everything is smart and new, from the manager, André Villas-Boas, to the training ground at Bulls Cross and the first-team kit from Under Armour. Walker is now itching to help put Tottenham back at Europe's top table.

"The new season is a fresh start and we want to finish where we should be finishing and that's a Champions League position," Walker said. "That's got to be the minimum requirement for Tottenham. When I signed [in 2009], that's what the club was searching for. They got it and they won't settle for anything less now.

"I won the PFA young player [2012 award] but that's driving me to show that I can win it again this season. I'm very hard on myself and I don't settle for second best. I want to be the best player I can be and if that means staying behind and doing extra training, I'm prepared to do that. I want to win things and so do the rest of the players. We're hungry for it."

It is not unusual to hear a player talk up a new manager but Walker can have high hopes of Villas-Boas, who likes his full-backs to get forward. The Portuguese's double training sessions so far have been meticulously structured, with an emphasis on ball work.

"As an attacking full-back, I'm excited to work with him," Walker said. "He's going to give another dimension to my game. We've seen in training that you have to be on it 24:7. That's what the team needs to go further. If he does play 4-3-3, it will benefit me, showing what I can do further up the field and letting the winger worry about me.

"We're a totally different team to Chelsea [Villas-Boas's last club] and you don't judge someone by previous things that have happened. We need to take him in. It's a good bunch of lads here. There's no egos, nobody who is going to disturb the camp. He's going to give us a chance; we're going to give him a chance. Hopefully we'll gel and win trophies."

Walker has fond memories from last season, not least off the field, when his son Roman was born 24 hours after his man-of-the-match display against Sweden on his full England debut.

His winner against Arsenal also sent his Twitter feed into meltdown. Walker and Tottenham intend to stay the course this time out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/12/kyle-walker-tottenham-andre-villas-boas

"We're a totally different team to Chelsea [Villas-Boas's last club] and you don't judge someone by previous things that have happened. We need to take him in. It's a good bunch of lads here. There's no egos, nobody who is going to disturb the camp. He's going to give us a chance; we're going to give him a chance. Hopefully we'll gel and win trophies."

Take that, you doubters!

I'm not referring to wins/his quality as manager - this is a comment about the alleged player revolt / coup d'etat / stab in the back which was meant to take place at the training ground on his first day as coach. In addition to the fact a few vocals ones have claimed with factual certainty numerous times our players spoke to the chavs and chose to judge him on that

Last edited:
Walker...

I am pretty sure there is a Walker thread but been searching and cant find it SO here is another - if there is one then merge.

Has he regressed a bit in terms of his overall play? both attacking and defensive duties He isnt defending that well, his crossing is a bit brick, and he doesnt really take on players that well. He has great recovery though and does have immense pace but if we were after a sprinter I hear Usain Bolt wants to play football.

I dont really like slating players but im concerned with Walker and he may well cost us goals, as he has done this season already. He does this thing where he seems to be jumping under the ball did it against Noocastle, did it against QPR and did it against Manure.

Yeah yeah he is young and will learn etc but we do need someone who can be reliable and solid to even help him develop. Corluka wouldnt have been too bad actually haha

Discuss

Back