• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Knee jerk thread,

This place sometimes . . .

We won a tricky away fixture (much like any other away fixture in the PL) at a ground where we had lost all 4 previously and didn't manage a single goal

We are 4th in the PL a few points behind teams who turn over 3-4 times our wage budget.

We scored 2 good goals

We were under pressure in the last 30 minutes from a team who's fighting for their survival at home and had nothing to lose

Give the manager a break

I really didn't want AVB but i like him more then i ever thought i would. He's done quite a few things that has helped me take to him more and with a few more tweaks i'm quietly confident.

That being said we need 1 or 2 signings come Jan.

We won a tricky away fixture (much like any other away fixture in the PL) at a ground where we had lost all 4 previously and didn't manage a single goal

We are 4th in the PL a few points behind teams who turn over 3-4 times our wage budget.

We scored 2 good goals

We were under pressure in the last 30 minutes from a team who's fighting for their survival at home and had nothing to lose

Give the manager a break

So no concerns can be discussed as long as we're winning and getting results?

So no concerns can be discussed as long as we're winning and getting results?

A kneejerk thread is hardly the place where you would find 'concerns' being raised - just more of the 'same' agenda-driven moaning from alias accounts, etc. Having gone through the last 5 pages simply confirms that.

I understand if we lost or worse - drew after leading but we won an away fixture in the PL which is never an easy feat irrespective of the opponent.

Tell me - how many 'positive' threads are on here currently after this away win compared to the 'negative ones'?

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't want to speak for the man, but

'Do you know why so many fans are critical of avb? because it is obvious from watching him that he is sslow to see things that every spurs fan can see, that we cant pass the ball to each other so he brings on a workhorsse like livermore instead of someone like carroll who can pass the ball, tells you all you need to know about avb and his idea of football.

You want to be a fan boy of avb go for it, i will give him to the end of the season before i make up my mind, but if you can not see what is infront of your eyes then your deluded. A lot of fans seem to think that sticking by someone makes them more of a fan this sort of blind faith that people also show to political parties is pathetic. I called out on redknapp one of the first on here to do that.

Im not ssaying avb is ready to go or anything like that, but he at the moment is not learning from some very big mistakes and we are not looking very good, from a coach who is meant to be so good and highly rated i find this very worrying.

Worst game i have seen us play in recent seasons is against chelsea in the semi last year because redknapp seemed so lost in that match, avb is doing similar this year, i do not know how we just hung on for 3 point today.'

There's a lot of harsh criticism in there that could conceivably be uncalled for.

A kneejerk thread is hardly the place where you would find 'concerns' being raised - just more of the 'same' agenda-driven moaning from alias accounts, etc. Having gone through the last 5 pages simply confirms that.

I understand if we lost or worse - drew after leading but we won an away fixture in the PL which is never an easy feat irrespective of the opponent.

Tell me - how many 'positive' threads are on here currently after this away win compared to the 'negative ones'?

I think there have been plenty of serious discussing with "concerns being raised" in this thread. I took the thread title tongue in cheek as most knee jerk reactions are based on results anyway...

Plenty of the threads on here are positive at the moment and some positives being raised in this thread too. And plenty of perspective of the kind you raise here about the opposition, this being an away game etc.

There are normally knee jerk negative threads when we lose, I generally stay clear of them at least for a while after the loss. There are sometimes knee jerk positives after strong wins against quality opposition or impressive displays where we win, I quite enjoy those even though I normally don't agree with everything being said. After an average display where we did win against fairly poor opposition I would expect what is happening, a mix of positives and negatives.

Well, I wouldn't want to speak for the man, but

'Do you know why so many fans are critical of avb? because it is obvious from watching him that he is sslow to see things that every spurs fan can see, that we cant pass the ball to each other so he brings on a workhorsse like livermore instead of someone like carroll who can pass the ball, tells you all you need to know about avb and his idea of football.

You want to be a fan boy of avb go for it, i will give him to the end of the season before i make up my mind, but if you can not see what is infront of your eyes then your deluded. A lot of fans seem to think that sticking by someone makes them more of a fan this sort of blind faith that people also show to political parties is pathetic. I called out on redknapp one of the first on here to do that.

Im not ssaying avb is ready to go or anything like that, but he at the moment is not learning from some very big mistakes and we are not looking very good, from a coach who is meant to be so good and highly rated i find this very worrying.

Worst game i have seen us play in recent seasons is against chelsea in the semi last year because redknapp seemed so lost in that match, avb is doing similar this year, i do not know how we just hung on for 3 point today.'

There's a lot of harsh criticism in there that could conceivably be uncalled for.

There is criticism in there that could conceivably be uncalled for, but in that case I think people should call out those that they think are being unfair towards the manager directly, not just dismiss the entire thread, discussion (or place). If someone does something out of line I have no problems on people calling them out on it, I think it's a good thing. I called someone out on what I thought was uncalled for harsh criticism against Levy yesterday.

I really didn't want AVB but i like him more then i ever thought i would. He's done quite a few things that has helped me take to him more and with a few more tweaks i'm quietly confident.

That being said we need 1 or 2 signings come Jan.

Agree with this. I was very critical of what I saw over the first 3 games but since then we've made steady progress.
I don't agree with everything he does e.g. sidelining Dawson.
However the pros are outweighing the cons at this stage.

We aren't going to play as well as we did last season because we have lost the two main men who kept possession for us - Modric and VDV. Its made the biggest difference in home gomes. Away we are setup to counter attack and have played well in all of our away games so far. The squad is also much smaller than last season, look at the bench. Certainly injuries aren't helping at this stage.

As for yesterday, no knee-jerk from me. We were on top in the 1st half, you have to score when you're on top and we did. It was vital to get that 2nd goal as it gave us a cushion. Many times under Redknapp we had similar performances away from home. You've no divine right to dominate a team for 90 mins, they were always going to have a spell. First 20 mins of the 2nd half was their best period but I thought we got more of a grip of the game after that and had periods of possession without particularly threatening. Their main avenue for chance creation was set-pieces which was mainly down to Livermore whose only contribution was persistent fouling. Can't really blame AVB for that and I'm sure that will be in his thoughts when he considers bringing him on in future matches when we're leading.

One from the SSN.com comments section

sal says October 28, 2012 1:16pm

have doubts over AVB......How the hell can friedel still be picked ahead of Lloris.... and Ade being kept out by Defoe. The man is a clown.....Carry on AVB and it won't be long before you hand the job straight back to Harry. Well done.

lol @ those who want AVB out

we are currently 4th and massively over achieving. We are pretty thin on paper and have been very unlucky with injuries but still we are fourth, with some massive away points

fickle fickle people

We scored 2 good goals

Give the manager a break

I think we put Man Utd at home under pressure for about 30 mins too. That must mean Whiskey nose out, and that they are brick.

So, 4th in the league, second best ever start to a Prem season, sold VDV & Modric, got Dembele, Kaboul, Parker, Ade, BAE either out or out recently with injuries & people are still whining.

In the words of the immortal Chas & Dave... 'aint no pleasing you'

You really think so? We've played some weak teams and been made to look very ordinary too often. Today was another example. We were outplayed by QPR, Norwich and Reading. I don't really think we've played at all well yet.

Southampton were beating both Man utd and City at home up until last minute goals. They are not a pushover team at home. Away.... possibly. We have never scored at St Marys, and going by Spurs standards, we dont work well with jinxes or voodoos or whatever so to come away from St Mary's with 3 points and scoring 2 goals is amazing. No need for this thread at all.

I was at the game yesterday and it amazing how different it all seems live then on tv. i was quite close to avb and was watching him. he sat for about the first five mins but after that was on his feet continually shouting instructions. i saw him pull hudd to one side at one point and give him specific instructions. he was also getting frustrated with certain things that went wrong. however, first half we played ok and there were a couple of good moments. especially down the wings.

the livermore substitution was strange but it was obvious what he was trying to do. he was trying to close the game out and livermore was supposed to break up the play. unfortunately for livermore he didnt do a very good job! scott parker will be a far better option when fit.

our big problem at the moment is the fall out with adebayor and basically having no strikers. when it was dempsey up top with siggurdson behind it was desperate stuff. if we actually start a game like that we will not win.

I was at the game yesterday and it amazing how different it all seems live then on tv. i was quite close to avb and was watching him. he sat for about the first five mins but after that was on his feet continually shouting instructions. i saw him pull hudd to one side at one point and give him specific instructions. he was also getting frustrated with certain things that went wrong. however, first half we played ok and there were a couple of good moments. especially down the wings.

the livermore substitution was strange but it was obvious what he was trying to do. he was trying to close the game out and livermore was supposed to break up the play. unfortunately for livermore he didnt do a very good job! scott parker will be a far better option when fit.

our big problem at the moment is the fall out with adebayor and basically having no strikers. when it was dempsey up top with siggurdson behind it was desperate stuff. if we actually start a game like that we will not win.

There is ? Could you leave proof of that ?

Our only decent 2nd half performances so far this season was Reading (who hadn't played a game for about 3 weeks!) and Chelsea at home. I can't put my finger on why we are so poor in the 2nd half.

It's worrying that we are always hanging on at the end of games after fast starts in the first half. But at least we've stopped conceding late goals which were costing us points in the first 3 games.

All the good teams have to win when they're not at their best, we've been doing this for a couple of years at least. United do it more than anybody. But we don't have the mentality of United to sustain it.

Back