• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Jan Vertonghen is expected to sign a new Tottenham deal despite recent “tension” between the defender and boss Mauricio Pochettino.

The Belgium central defender has been the mainstay of Spurs’ rearguard again this season, with only three goals conceded in the Premier League and non from open play. However, Pochettino was understood to be unhappy with Vertonghen’s display in the Champions League defeat to Monaco.

The Evening Standard claims Pochettino was particularly upset the way Bernardo Silva “breezed past him to score the opening goal” at Wembley and there has been “tension” between the pair.

Still, talks between player and club had been progressing well, though nothing has yet been signed, according to the report.

The 29-year-old defender’s current deal, worth around £40,000 per week, runs out at the end of next season, and he will be expecting to double that after a host of first-team stars recently extended their deals at White Hart Lane.

Christian Eriksen, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker and Danny Rose have all penned contract extensions since the start of the season, with Eriksen’s new four-year deal believed to be worth around £70,000 a week, while Ali, 20, received a 600% raise taking his earnings to £25,0000 a week.

Vertonghen recently liked a tweet posted by Ladbrokes after Spurs’ 2-0 win over Emirates Marketing Project on October 3, noting that while he and Alderweireld had cost a combined £24million, City pair John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi commanded aggregate fees of £85million.

ESPN claim Vertonghen had agreed a new contract in principle, but the disagreement with Pochettino had delayed him from signing up.

Vertonghen has two years remaining on the four-plus-two deal he signed when he joined Spurs from Ajax in 2012 and he is expected to extend his deal and continue his partnership at the heart of Tottenham’s rearguard with Toby Alderweireld.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/vertonghen-set-to-sign-spurs-deal-despite-pochettino-tension

Wow.....ive never known tension like it.

Jan Vertonghen is expected to sign a new Tottenham deal despite recent “tension” between the defender and boss Mauricio Pochettino.

Christian Eriksen, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker and Danny Rose have all penned contract extensions since the start of the season, with Eriksen’s new four-year deal believed to be worth around £70,000 a week, while Ali, 20, received a 600% raise taking his earnings to £25,0000 a week.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/vertonghen-set-to-sign-spurs-deal-despite-pochettino-tension

Holy Moly - Dele is on quarter of a mill a week....o_O

I think this report is as accurate as the typist!

Agree... he was also very good v West Brom. I've criticised him a lot before those games.

He missed all of the pre-season with injuries. Up to and including our final pre-season friendly iirc. Quite possibly he was rushed back a bit to get back to the start of the season, at the very least he was severely lacking in match fitness. Him taking some time getting up to his consistent best has to be expected I think.

I think everyone's reading that article wrong? They only said there was tension after the Monaco game because of the first goal, quite rightly to as his defending was worse than school boy there.

I'm actually glad there was tension after that, i was livid myself.

I think Jan's great by the way, just that one instance I wasn't happy with.

Indeed. I wouldn't swap Jan and Toby for any other pair in the PL, nor do I think I would swap either of them for any other single centre half in the PL.

Yep, i never understood all the body Language crap that quite a few fans were throwing at him a couple of seasons back. Its one thing to criticise a player who is making mistakes but to come up with all that body language crap was just flimflam.

Back