• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Personally I thought Wimmer/Alderweireld showed potential as a partnership and the team suffered when Wimmer was dropped for the run in.

I don't know how to use the like button, he and Jan are our best CB partnership and it should not be forgotten how good they were together last season. It amazes me that he is getting the blame for the first goal from some fans and now some are saying he should be left out for Wimmer, he has been far more consistent then Kane for example but for some reason Kane is getting a free pass from many.
I don't blame Jan for the goal but I expect our CBs to do far better in those situations than he did - it was very poor

Personally I thought Wimmer/Alderweireld showed potential as a partnership and the team suffered when Wimmer was dropped for the run in.

I don't blame Jan for the goal but I expect our CBs to do far better in those situations than he did - it was very poor

The last thing our CB's expected was for Lamela to showboat in that part of the pitch, he was in no danger of losing the ball but decided to take the risky option. If i was critical i could accuse our CB of not being teady for Lamela to make such a mess, but unlike some i do not blame them.

I don't know how to use the like button, he and Jan are our best CB partnership and it should not be forgotten how good they were together last season. It amazes me that he is getting the blame for the first goal from some fans and now some are saying he should be left out for Wimmer, he has been far more consistent then Kane for example but for some reason Kane is getting a free pass from many.

Another symptom of modern 24 hour social media football expertise (not aimed at you @ricky, just a general comment).

Player has a bad game or run of bad games there haaaaaaaaas to be some kind of complex, social, physical, mental or pathological reason behind it. Otherwise what would Charlie Nicholas, Matt Le Tissier and the boys talk about all day on a Saturday eh?

The last thing our CB's expected was for Lamela to showboat in that part of the pitch, he was in no danger of losing the ball but decided to take the risky option. If i was critical i could accuse our CB of not being teady for Lamela to make such a mess, but unlike some i do not blame them.

Im not talking about who should be blamed for the goal I'm just saying I expect our CBs to do better in those situations.

Im not talking about who should be blamed for the goal I'm just saying I expect our CBs to do better in those situations.

I know you are, and as i said if i was hyper critical i would blame our CB's for not being ready for Lamela to make a kids mistake in a dangerous part of the pitch, but i'm not unlike some who are.

I know you are, and as i said if i was hyper critical i would blame our CB's for not being ready for Lamela to make a kids mistake in a dangerous part of the pitch, but i'm not unlike some who are.

However the ball arrives in thier defensive area it is 'their' responciblily to defend it! once again this has been hijacked to apportion 'Blame'.

i dont think it's hyper critical to say Vertonghen should have done better in that situation, nor do i think it's hyper critical to say Lamela fudged up by giving the ball away.

personally i think blaming the goal on either individual is a case of being too critical in this case - imho rarely is there a goal conceded where blame can be apportioned to a single player, but pointing out where our players have made mistakes or not been good enough is fair game

i dont think it's hyper critical to say Vertonghen should have done better in that situation, nor do i think it's hyper critical to say Lamela fudgeed up by giving the ball away.

personally i think blaming the goal on either individual is a case of being too critical in this case - imho rarely is there a goal conceded where blame can be apportioned to a single player, but pointing out where our players have made mistakes or not been good enough is fair game

Well that is true, all players make mistakes and most goals come from mistakes made by players. Lamela's was much more then a mistake though he was ( or trying to and failing) to showboat, a kids mistake and i am sure Poch will have had a word because that's what good managers do when your player tries to be clever.

Deary me, my initial 2 points were factual observations of two things, both actually out of jans control I may add, that have taken away from or been detrimental to his game.

Nothing to do with the other night.(wtf) If those two points didn't exist then Jan would play every time. But they do, so Wimmer comes into the picture by virtue of as good a skill set or maybe better. (as things stand).

Some of you are touchier than J.Saville.;)

http://talksport.com/football/totte...tino-drops-hint-jan-vertonghen-will-sign-new?

Mauricio Pochettino has hinted that defender Jan Vertonghen will be the next Tottenham player to sign a new contract.

Vertonghen's current deal expires in the summer of 2018 and the Belgian has been negotiating fresh terms since early this year.

Spurs have already tied seven players down to new contracts since the transfer window closed and Pochettino suggested another is soon to follow.

"In the next few days maybe one more will appear and then we will see what happens," Pochettino said.

Asked if Vertonghen would be that player, he added: "I cannot give names but maybe yes it is a centre-back.

http://talksport.com/football/totte...tino-drops-hint-jan-vertonghen-will-sign-new?

Mauricio Pochettino has hinted that defender Jan Vertonghen will be the next Tottenham player to sign a new contract.

Vertonghen's current deal expires in the summer of 2018 and the Belgian has been negotiating fresh terms since early this year.

Spurs have already tied seven players down to new contracts since the transfer window closed and Pochettino suggested another is soon to follow.

"In the next few days maybe one more will appear and then we will see what happens," Pochettino said.

Asked if Vertonghen would be that player, he added: "I cannot give names but maybe yes it is a centre-back.

Cue CCV signing an extended contract...

Song For Jan

Jan Vertonghen
He's the right one not the wrong 'un!!!
Jan Vertonghen
Jan Vertonghen

etc.

I already have my coat on.....

When ever i see this thread bumped, i think it's for a new contract announcement.

:(

Come on Jan, just say yes!

Jan Vertonghen is expected to sign a new Tottenham deal despite recent “tension” between the defender and boss Mauricio Pochettino.

The Belgium central defender has been the mainstay of Spurs’ rearguard again this season, with only three goals conceded in the Premier League and non from open play. However, Pochettino was understood to be unhappy with Vertonghen’s display in the Champions League defeat to Monaco.

The Evening Standard claims Pochettino was particularly upset the way Bernardo Silva “breezed past him to score the opening goal” at Wembley and there has been “tension” between the pair.

Still, talks between player and club had been progressing well, though nothing has yet been signed, according to the report.

The 29-year-old defender’s current deal, worth around £40,000 per week, runs out at the end of next season, and he will be expecting to double that after a host of first-team stars recently extended their deals at White Hart Lane.

Christian Eriksen, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker and Danny Rose have all penned contract extensions since the start of the season, with Eriksen’s new four-year deal believed to be worth around £70,000 a week, while Ali, 20, received a 600% raise taking his earnings to £25,0000 a week.

Vertonghen recently liked a tweet posted by Ladbrokes after Spurs’ 2-0 win over Emirates Marketing Project on October 3, noting that while he and Alderweireld had cost a combined £24million, City pair John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi commanded aggregate fees of £85million.

ESPN claim Vertonghen had agreed a new contract in principle, but the disagreement with Pochettino had delayed him from signing up.

Vertonghen has two years remaining on the four-plus-two deal he signed when he joined Spurs from Ajax in 2012 and he is expected to extend his deal and continue his partnership at the heart of Tottenham’s rearguard with Toby Alderweireld.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/vertonghen-set-to-sign-spurs-deal-despite-pochettino-tension

Back