• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

So they were better at Ajax, worse for Belgium.

As a headline writer for the Sun would say ..... "Spurs defenders only average"

Poor old Jan. He's unfortunately becoming the new anderton. Taking bad knocks every season. It'll be like having a quality new signing in a few months:)

Whilst it is a blow, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm not worried about who can step up.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Bad news, but at least it's a spot where we have good cover. Could be back for September then, that's no crisis.

Not too bad, we only play 3 league games before the first international break. Should be in contention for when the CL matches kick-in

I think Jan's roll in the team has been marginalised by tactics and this seasons new rules.

When he first joined he was a ball playing, ball carrying centre-half that could carry himself into areas where he was a goal threat. Well the ball carrying element (what was a site to behold) has been eradicated as the tactic is to stay rigidly at the back with toby with the only movement being the size of the gap between them across the pitch.

Secondly, the new rules has vastly impaired Jan's ability to defend from corners and free-kicks as he very much relied on the grappling and impeding technique to gain an edge. I don't think Jan is very physical or dominant as centre-halfs go and the new rules make him vunerable/weak link. In fact now i think of it i can never remember Jan leaping or producing a commanding header.

His other main weakness is he is not good at coping when he is being attacked and is backing off.

When considering these points i just think Wimmer may be a better option all round. He can certainly pass and his run in the team last year proved he is up to it.

I think Jan's roll in the team has been marginalised by tactics and this seasons new rules.

When he first joined he was a ball playing, ball carrying centre-half that could carry himself into areas where he was a goal threat. Well the ball carrying element (what was a site to behold) has been eradicated as the tactic is to stay rigidly at the back with toby with the only movement being the size of the gap between them across the pitch.

Secondly, the new rules has vastly impaired Jan's ability to defend from corners and free-kicks as he very much relied on the grappling and impeding technique to gain an edge. I don't think Jan is very physical or dominant as centre-halfs go and the new rules make him vunerable/weak link. In fact now i think of it i can never remember Jan leaping or producing a commanding header.

His other main weakness is he is not good at coping when he is being attacked and is backing off.

When considering these points i just think Wimmer may be a better option all round. He can certainly pass and his run in the team last year proved he is up to it.

Or,

He just had a bad game the other night.....

Or,

He just had a bad game the other night.....

I don't know how to use the like button, he and Jan are our best CB partnership and it should not be forgotten how good they were together last season. It amazes me that he is getting the blame for the first goal from some fans and now some are saying he should be left out for Wimmer, he has been far more consistent then Kane for example but for some reason Kane is getting a free pass from many.

Back