• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Absolutely. I think he's been alright for quite a while, I've certainly not been of the belief that he's been poor. But this was different level. Fantastic performance.

Whatever is the difference, form, fitness, confidence, long may it last.
He looks match fit
Well did yesterday
It’s got to be hard to get that fitness mid season

As Murphy pointed out on MOTD, he’s played his part in us being the better team in all games so far except maybe Arsenal. Yesterday it clicked. Hopefully gives him a confidence boost to take forward.

Playing a bit deeper aswell with Kulu playing 10 so to be around the goals is good going.

As Murphy pointed out on MOTD, he’s played his part in us being the better team in all games so far except maybe Arsenal. Yesterday it clicked. Hopefully gives him a confidence boost to take forward.

Playing a bit deeper aswell with Kulu playing 10 so to be around the goals is good going.
Yesterday he passed quickly
He hasn’t done that in any other games
his work rate has been there
But holding onto the ball has been poor

From football.london

The key to Tottenham's victory was to be found in their midfield on Saturday afternoon. For Brentford's man-to-man marking was only going to be successful if they hassled their hosts' playmakers into submission.

The strategy had one big flaw though and that was if the Tottenham players could skip away from their attentions it unlocked them completely. So it proved to be with nobody doing it better than James Maddison.

This might just have been the 27-year-old's best display in a Tottenham shirt for he brought everything needed to the game.

His pressing and energy resulted in both of the first two goals for the team and then he wrapped up his performance with a perfect bow in the shape of a delightful chip over Flekken and into the Brentford net in the 85th minute.

He was the fulcrum for everything good Spurs did and this is the Maddison that is crucial to the Postecoglou way, when he takes a firm grip of games and won't let go.

The midfielder's busy display in the engine room brought three shots, two on target, three key passes, three dribbles, three tackles, two clearances and one interception.

"The team is always the most important thing. I would have been happy with my performance and how I played regardless of whether I got the goal at the end or not," said Maddison after the game.

"It obviously helped us in the game because we got that little cushion. It kind of shuts up a few people in the background who think the goals and assists do matter more than what they probably do.

"I am an attacking player who has scored goals and always got assists, that's my job. So, when you are not doing that and even if you feel like you are playing well personally, helping the team and the gaffer is happy with what I'm doing for the team. For some games you have it where I feel like I play really well in the build-up and help the team progress but you don't get a goal or assist to show for that.

"And then people start questioning the numbers, so sometimes you have to take the outside noise with a pinch of salt, but on the other hand I love scoring goals and it was a nice feeling. I think I had to blow the dust off the old darts celebration because it has been a little while, but it felt so good in front of the south stand to score so I'm really happy."

He added: "[The pre-passes get lost] amongst people who look at the numbers and compare numbers, but my team-mates, my manager and the coaches know that the build-up phase is just as important as the person who lays it off for the person who scores. Within our unit we are not naïve to that."

What helped Spurs so much during the game was that every time Guglielmo Vicario or Destiny Udogie would pass to Maddison, so he would turn and wriggle away from a couple of Brentford players, thus leaving a huge channel behind for his team-mates to operate in.

"That's what I like doing. I do like helping with the build-up deeper because - without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet - I'm good in the tight areas especially," admitted the midfielder.

"We've worked on it since the Coventry game, Brentford pressing man-to-man, so when you're stood there in the build-up phase you have your man and he's going to follow you everywhere.

"So sometimes all it takes is one player to have a good touch, drop a shoulder just to separate half a yard from your man and that's where you can get the better of man-to-man because if one player gets the better of their man then you're away, because everyone else is marking and not coming towards you."

Alongside Maddison, Rodrigo Bentancur was starting his third game in six days, having played the full 95 minutes or so at Coventry in midweek.

The Uruguayan would have had every right to look jaded, yet he dominated the midfield, covering for team-mates, racing back and making three interceptions and two tackles. Like Maddison he excelled in turning and beating the Brentford press and providing a platform for his team-mates.

Tottenham are currently waiting to hear from the FA on what happens next for Bentancur following his charge amid a potential six to 12 game ban.

A domestic ban would at least allow him to continue to play in the club's Europa League matches in the weeks ahead in order to keep him ticking over and maintaining the rhythm he is starting to find again after that long injury absence last year. It was always expected among the club's medical staff to be this season that Bentancur would regain his stride following his cruciate ligament injury.

The third member of the midfield trio is Tottenham's player of the season so far - Dejan Kulusevski.

The Swede is revelling in the role he's been asking to play in for years. He told football.london two summers ago that it was his favourite and it's clear to see why, because Kulusevski is a force of nature in a deeper position.

He encourages good football and movement around him. One opportunity in the second half came after a clever one-two between Maddison and Udogie before Kulusevski ran on to the former's pass and forced Flekken into a good save.

Kulusevski managed four shots, three passes, one dribble and one interception and Maddison explained how it's a different experience for him to play alongside the Sweden international in the midfield three.

"It is a little bit different purely because of relationships. Deki is a very attacking, forward-thinking, driving forward type of player. So when I play with Pape, for example, I know that he's going to be a little bit deeper in the build-up so I can stay high and keep my discipline in a position between the lines," he said.

"Whereas Kulu almost likes to do what I do, so sometimes I have to be a bit deeper, which maybe you get less shots on goal or chances in the final third, but I'll help in the build-up and Kulu can be the one. It's just about getting that balance. The gaffer says it constantly that we're a team and it's not about whoever scores the goal.

"He used an analogy the other day which I thought was brilliant at Coventry. It's like he makes changes but it's just handing on the baton and they go on or we come on and have an impact like the subs did today.

"I think it's important that people realise it's not just about the goals, it's sometimes for the team and hopefully the fans enjoyed today and watched what we did and that's all because of the structure that comes from the gaffer."

Bissouma also came on and did his job despite an early yellow card with a crucial tackle to set Spurs away for their final goal and Sarr also delivered a solid showing from the bench. Lucas Bergvall and Archie Gray, albeit at right-back, got to come on for the final minutes and Postecoglou's strength in midfield options was shown with everyone fit.

It's down to Maddison as vice-captain to lead the midfield and if he can continue to put in performances like this to make Postecoglou's system tick then Spurs are going to win games aplenty.

From football.london

The key to Tottenham's victory was to be found in their midfield on Saturday afternoon. For Brentford's man-to-man marking was only going to be successful if they hassled their hosts' playmakers into submission.

The strategy had one big flaw though and that was if the Tottenham players could skip away from their attentions it unlocked them completely. So it proved to be with nobody doing it better than James Maddison.

This might just have been the 27-year-old's best display in a Tottenham shirt for he brought everything needed to the game.

His pressing and energy resulted in both of the first two goals for the team and then he wrapped up his performance with a perfect bow in the shape of a delightful chip over Flekken and into the Brentford net in the 85th minute.

He was the fulcrum for everything good Spurs did and this is the Maddison that is crucial to the Postecoglou way, when he takes a firm grip of games and won't let go.

The midfielder's busy display in the engine room brought three shots, two on target, three key passes, three dribbles, three tackles, two clearances and one interception.

"The team is always the most important thing. I would have been happy with my performance and how I played regardless of whether I got the goal at the end or not," said Maddison after the game.

"It obviously helped us in the game because we got that little cushion. It kind of shuts up a few people in the background who think the goals and assists do matter more than what they probably do.

"I am an attacking player who has scored goals and always got assists, that's my job. So, when you are not doing that and even if you feel like you are playing well personally, helping the team and the gaffer is happy with what I'm doing for the team. For some games you have it where I feel like I play really well in the build-up and help the team progress but you don't get a goal or assist to show for that.

"And then people start questioning the numbers, so sometimes you have to take the outside noise with a pinch of salt, but on the other hand I love scoring goals and it was a nice feeling. I think I had to blow the dust off the old darts celebration because it has been a little while, but it felt so good in front of the south stand to score so I'm really happy."

He added: "[The pre-passes get lost] amongst people who look at the numbers and compare numbers, but my team-mates, my manager and the coaches know that the build-up phase is just as important as the person who lays it off for the person who scores. Within our unit we are not naïve to that."

What helped Spurs so much during the game was that every time Guglielmo Vicario or Destiny Udogie would pass to Maddison, so he would turn and wriggle away from a couple of Brentford players, thus leaving a huge channel behind for his team-mates to operate in.

"That's what I like doing. I do like helping with the build-up deeper because - without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet - I'm good in the tight areas especially," admitted the midfielder.

"We've worked on it since the Coventry game, Brentford pressing man-to-man, so when you're stood there in the build-up phase you have your man and he's going to follow you everywhere.

"So sometimes all it takes is one player to have a good touch, drop a shoulder just to separate half a yard from your man and that's where you can get the better of man-to-man because if one player gets the better of their man then you're away, because everyone else is marking and not coming towards you."

Alongside Maddison, Rodrigo Bentancur was starting his third game in six days, having played the full 95 minutes or so at Coventry in midweek.

The Uruguayan would have had every right to look jaded, yet he dominated the midfield, covering for team-mates, racing back and making three interceptions and two tackles. Like Maddison he excelled in turning and beating the Brentford press and providing a platform for his team-mates.

Tottenham are currently waiting to hear from the FA on what happens next for Bentancur following his charge amid a potential six to 12 game ban.

A domestic ban would at least allow him to continue to play in the club's Europa League matches in the weeks ahead in order to keep him ticking over and maintaining the rhythm he is starting to find again after that long injury absence last year. It was always expected among the club's medical staff to be this season that Bentancur would regain his stride following his cruciate ligament injury.

The third member of the midfield trio is Tottenham's player of the season so far - Dejan Kulusevski.

The Swede is revelling in the role he's been asking to play in for years. He told football.london two summers ago that it was his favourite and it's clear to see why, because Kulusevski is a force of nature in a deeper position.

He encourages good football and movement around him. One opportunity in the second half came after a clever one-two between Maddison and Udogie before Kulusevski ran on to the former's pass and forced Flekken into a good save.

Kulusevski managed four shots, three passes, one dribble and one interception and Maddison explained how it's a different experience for him to play alongside the Sweden international in the midfield three.

"It is a little bit different purely because of relationships. Deki is a very attacking, forward-thinking, driving forward type of player. So when I play with Pape, for example, I know that he's going to be a little bit deeper in the build-up so I can stay high and keep my discipline in a position between the lines," he said.

"Whereas Kulu almost likes to do what I do, so sometimes I have to be a bit deeper, which maybe you get less shots on goal or chances in the final third, but I'll help in the build-up and Kulu can be the one. It's just about getting that balance. The gaffer says it constantly that we're a team and it's not about whoever scores the goal.

"He used an analogy the other day which I thought was brilliant at Coventry. It's like he makes changes but it's just handing on the baton and they go on or we come on and have an impact like the subs did today.

"I think it's important that people realise it's not just about the goals, it's sometimes for the team and hopefully the fans enjoyed today and watched what we did and that's all because of the structure that comes from the gaffer."

Bissouma also came on and did his job despite an early yellow card with a crucial tackle to set Spurs away for their final goal and Sarr also delivered a solid showing from the bench. Lucas Bergvall and Archie Gray, albeit at right-back, got to come on for the final minutes and Postecoglou's strength in midfield options was shown with everyone fit.

It's down to Maddison as vice-captain to lead the midfield and if he can continue to put in performances like this to make Postecoglou's system tick then Spurs are going to win games aplenty.
Interesting that maddison and ange both talking about shutting out the outside noise and focusing.

Yes; it aligns with Ange saying "don't look at the score, don't look at the clock, just play every second of every game with full commitment to go and score"
Likewise, "don't listen to the positive praise nor the negative criticism, just carry on doing exactly the right thing without deviating"

I thought Bentancur was great.
yeah me too. he covered ground well when maddison moved up. he reads the game well, covers for udogie and even vdv or romero. but gets stifled when maddison drops back and receives the ball within arm's length in front of him. maddison is fortunate that someone like bentancur is there to cover for him so that he can attack without fear

From football.london

Does bring up the point Milo brought up in the pod. How much of this was us and Maddison being able to do their best work because of how Brentford played and how much of it was us playing better.

Hopefully we'll find ways to get similarly impressive performances out of Maddison also when teams defend more passively.

Yesterday he passed quickly
He hasn’t done that in any other games
his work rate has been there
But holding onto the ball has been poor
I think that point too dovetails with the comments by Maddison and as was brought up by Milo on the pod.

When the opposition man marks and presses harder (not a high press, but getting close instead of focusing on blocking passing opportunities), when a player like Maddison then gets away from his man there's space to attack quickly.

When he receives the ball and the opposition is mostly focused on blocking space there's less space, less opportunity to pass quickly with purpose.

For me at least quick passing is sometimes overrated. The purposefullness of what's being done is more important. Quick passing with little purpose helps no one.

In instances where there is less space on the ball Maddison it's exactly the player who should try to take responsibility even if that includes taking more touches, looking for movement, looking for gaps, looking for opportunities to go past his man.

I think that point too dovetails with the comments by Maddison and as was brought up by Milo on the pod.

When the opposition man marks and presses harder (not a high press, but getting close instead of focusing on blocking passing opportunities), when a player like Maddison then gets away from his man there's space to attack quickly.

When he receives the ball and the opposition is mostly focused on blocking space there's less space, less opportunity to pass quickly with purpose.

For me at least quick passing is sometimes overrated. The purposefullness of what's being done is more important. Quick passing with little purpose helps no one.

In instances where there is less space on the ball Maddison it's exactly the player who should try to take responsibility even if that includes taking more touches, looking for movement, looking for gaps, looking for opportunities to go past his man.

Yes. He should absolutely take responsibility and try to draw fouls if nothing else is on. He has not done that with conviction for some time. I am hopeful this performance gives him that sense of conviction. The elite find ways. Grealish looked all across the last third for City today, found his moments and took them. I believe this game will have fortified Maddison. And Ange's style requires quick incisive passing/progression.

Does bring up the point Milo brought up in the pod. How much of this was us and Maddison being able to do their best work because of how Brentford played and how much of it was us playing better.

Hopefully we'll find ways to get similarly impressive performances out of Maddison also when teams defend more passively.

It wasn't necessarily about playing 'better' it was playing with greater conviction and belief in what we do...

yeah me too. he covered ground well when maddison moved up. he reads the game well, covers for udogie and even vdv or romero. but gets stifled when maddison drops back and receives the ball within arm's length in front of him. maddison is fortunate that someone like bentancur is there to cover for him so that he can attack without fear

I think Bentancur's job is clear when he plays alongside Madds and Kulu. He has to be the number 6 because the other 2 won't, even if he finds himself in the other 18 yard box.

That is so different from when we've seen 2 out of Bents, Biss and Sarr on the pitch together. It almost makes it confusing with both forgetting to take in turns to stay whilst the other goes. Ange seems to be fine with both pressing high and then the one pass from the opposition leaves them both the wrong side.

I'm hoping yesterday's game is a turning point for Bents. The guy has had a tough period since that first injury. I'm not sure I've seen him this match fit in a long time.

On the extra inch pod, they discussed how different Maddison's position was because he played from the left much more; they said Son came inside a lot and Maddison was wider and Udogie did not go inside so much... I didn't notice that, will have to watch it back, wondered what you guys thought about that.

I've been calling for Udogie to sh*t or get off the pot i.e. if you are going to come inside and clag up the #10 slots, you need to drive into the box [[like Djed]] or drag someone to the ground or charge about and cause some reaction, not just clag us up.

Back