• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

This summer mate. Not last summer - we were apparently chasing Eze this summer.

Ended up balking at the release clause and not signing anyone there, because we apparently felt a kid from the Swedish Sunday league was enough cover.

How did you think I was referring to 2023 when I mentioned that any new midfielder would have started *alongside* Maddison to begin with? Difficult to do that if he isn't here, no? ;)
When you said 'cheaping out on him' I assumed you meant ending up with Madders, but I stand corrected :D....

I was kind of worried that our performances from pre-season would carry on into the season, and it turns out that they were indeed quite indicative.

The thing about Ange is that I like him a lot, but I really ponder his selection and substitutions sometimes. He is nowhere near as ruthless as he should be despite talking about how starting spots must be earned. I'm not saying the kids would do better, but I always talk about how he needs to send a message to the senior players. Not trying to single out Maddison, but his responsibility is large and he's not fulfilling it. I'd say our whole midfield has been extremely underwhelming this season. I'd much rather see Moore playing than Maddison at the moment.

One thing I can say for Maddison is that no one is making runs when he has the ball. We always look so stagnant in attack, like we're not trying to open up passing lanes or shifting our shape to confound the opposition's press/defensive structure.

I was kind of worried that our performances from pre-season would carry on into the season, and it turns out that they were indeed quite indicative.

The thing about Ange is that I like him a lot, but I really ponder his selection and substitutions sometimes. He is nowhere near as ruthless as he should be despite talking about how starting spots must be earned. I'm not saying the kids would do better, but I always talk about how he needs to send a message to the senior players. Not trying to single out Maddison, but his responsibility is large and he's not fulfilling it. I'd say our whole midfield has been extremely underwhelming this season. I'd much rather see Moore playing than Maddison at the moment.

One thing I can say for Maddison is that no one is making runs when he has the ball. We always look so stagnant in attack, like we're not trying to open up passing lanes or shifting our shape to confound the opposition's press/defensive structure.

It is true that we have become very static in our movement and in given those on the ball options to pass to people in space.
But i can see how that comes about when people make a run and are in space but the ball takes too long to get passed to them: Maddison, Romero, Son and even sometimes Porro are very guilty of this. Plus Maddison walks around very slowly and often i see him and other crowdin the spaces and often seemingly gettin so close to our own players that they are almost stepping on each others toes!!

So frustrating on so many levels. Maddison atm is the biggest culprit though

He is a player who has never really impressed me before we signed him, i am sure i posted on here about his in and out form for his previous clubs. Well he seems to be doing the same here for us, there is no doubt he has talent but his attitude/play in some games is poor to say the least. Sad to see such talent go to waste.

I've seen Maddison be a real threat, bursting into the box and scoring goals.
Right now he seems to be playing a slow sideways quarterback role; would rather see him breaking forwards and trying to confuse the opposition with darting runs.
Currently everything is in front of a set defence, very easy for them. Someone has to make runs, beat a man, cause panic.

Sending Romero up top to play in a 2 with Solanke seems raaaather rudimentary; I guess we don't have Richie/Lankshear/Veliz to do that role though.

Another pod I listened to talked about starters and finishers rather than subs i.e. don't see it as a bad thing to be a sub, see it as a positive i.e. we get the starters to run around a lot and tire people out e.g. Werner, Sarr and then bring on the finishers who have that extra bit of skill or pace or guile to finish them off.

Right now he seems to be playing a slow sideways quarterback role; would rather see him breaking forwards and trying to confuse the opposition with darting runs.
Currently everything is in front of a set defence, very easy for them. Someone has to make runs, beat a man, cause panic.

Sending Romero up top to play in a 2 with Solanke seems raaaather rudimentary; I guess we don't have Richie/Lankshear/Veliz to do that role though.

Another pod I listened to talked about starters and finishers rather than subs i.e. don't see it as a bad thing to be a sub, see it as a positive i.e. we get the starters to run around a lot and tire people out e.g. Werner, Sarr and then bring on the finishers who have that extra bit of skill or pace or guile to finish them off.
We don't have the players who have the extra bit of guile or skill to bring on. 😅

Don't forget the important role the fluffers play.

He is showing the same performances that he has shown at his previous clubs over the years, a few good games and then he resorts to doing not much. Been the same everywhere he has been, i must admit i was not over the moon when we first signed him as at his previous clubs he dissapeard in many games, sadly he is doing the same here.

He has ability and talent but he has spells when he is more of a passenger then a force.

Back