• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

I would like to see Bergvall start in front of him, may give him the jolt he needs.
i think he deserves to start to prove himself - his epl experience still counts for something even if he is a meh player. but i hope that ange will be more ruthless with the subs and give younger players seeking to prove themselves much more playing time than last season. Also, it'd be wise to avoid a disastrous start for any youngster.

I’m not bothered at all if that he’s been rubbish in pre-season. I’ll be concerned if his form from Jan 2024 carries over into the coming season. I wouldn’t care if he scored 50 goals in pre-season either. It’s completely meaningless and is only useful for getting the squad familiar with tactics and each other and for general fitness.

I’m not bothered at all if that he’s been rubbish in pre-season. I’ll be concerned if his form from Jan 2024 carries over into the coming season. I wouldn’t care if he scored 50 goals in pre-season either. It’s completely meaningless and is only useful for getting the squad familiar with tactics and each other and for general fitness.
I know it's only pre season but you kind of want them showing some sort of form or at least familiarity with the tactics 2 weeks before the season. Maddison has not shown any sort of form and our first half performance against Bayern was exactly the same as it was after the first 10 games of last season.

I know it's only pre season but you kind of want them showing some sort of form or at least familiarity with the tactics 2 weeks before the season. Maddison has not shown any sort of form and our first half performance against Bayern was exactly the same as it was after the first 10 games of last season.

I've seen very little of pre-season, but to be fair to the players, based on how we defended most of last season, I'm not that sure there are any tactics to get familiar with :p

What happened to Maddison in that second half? First half he seemed to be working on the left a lot more than he did in the second, where he was a bit more central. He just disappeared and absolutely nothing came off. Poor passing, poor touches, hiding.

What happened to Maddison in that second half? First half he seemed to be working on the left a lot more than he did in the second, where he was a bit more central. He just disappeared and absolutely nothing came off. Poor passing, poor touches, hiding.
Surely Ange must drop him from the starting line up next game.

In the first half he was operating on the left with great interplay with Son, he was playing well. The second half for whatever reason he operated on the right and centre and he wasn’t great.

If it’s working don’t change it. I can only assume it was an instruction, maybe to get Johnson (who was anonymous first half) and Solanke more into the game. Second half attacks definitely went more through Johnson but he was ineffective

What's wrong with maddison, doesn't seem to have a spark in his layout anymore. No passion no hunger. Falls down a lot
I see it quite differently. Thought he was brilliant in the first half against Leicester. Good or very good in the first half against Everton too.

One of their corners. He was fighting for every ball, won a couple of headers, got stuck in. Really good stuff.

Think he just needs his game time managed a bit. But he's getting there.

What's wrong with maddison, doesn't seem to have a spark in his layout anymore. No passion no hunger. Falls down a lot

I thought he looked more like his best yesterday, however i have said before that Maddison has always been a hit and miss player at his previous clubs and he was here last season. The guy has a LOT of talent but he goes through periods where he can look like a player who is going through the motions.

As i said he has all the talent but for whatever reasons he has these games when he drifts through games.

In fairness to him, he looked a lot better and more interested yesterday. Especially with the interplay and his defensive work on that corner.

Brilliant talent but not an elite player due to his lack of consistency. Could easily have better numbers but just can't do it for some reason.

Thrice yesterday someone (Romero I believe) pinged a long ball over the defence for Maddison to be 1-on-1 with Pickford.
Great play.
I forget precisely, but perhaps twice he controlled it well and Pickford was on him and smothered.
One time, he failed to get the right touch and it slipped past him.
But this is a big deal, this is exactly what we need. Sometimes short passes, sometimes an accurate pass like that to completely jump over the midfield and defence.
I also remember Bissouma playing a backspin pass to Deki in behind, and Romero spraying it around, switching play, really great play that isn't just short passing.

Back