• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

To give him credit, his tackling has improved, earlier in season he couldn't tackle for brick, just ended up fouling opponents clumsily.

Poch obviously has worked on that part of his game, hence he does a bit more defensively and to Jurgen's point, is less of a liability

Photo: Tottenham’s Erik Lamela enjoys trip to Rome with friends

Erik Lamela is making the most of a rare weekend off for Tottenham

lamela5004.jpg

Tottenham did not have a game this weekend after they were dumped out of the FA Cup by Leicester City last month.

So Lamela jetted off to Rome to spend the weekend with his friends and enjoy a change of scene.

The Argentina playmaker, who joined Spurs from Roma back in the summer of 2013, posted the picture above on his Instagram account and wrote: “Dinner with my love and my friends in Rome enjoying the weekend and celebrating valentine’s day. Greetings to all. #cena #dinner #sanvalentino.”

The 22-year-old has been a regular fixture in Mauricio Pochettino’s first-team this season. He has made five assists and scored one goal in 22 Premier League games and has also netted twice in theEuropa League.

He played the full 90 minutes as Spurs were beaten 3-2 byLiverpool at Anfield last Tuesday and helped the north London side beat local rivals Arsenal at White Hart Lane last weekend.

------------------------------------

Lamela seems to be much happier now under Pochettino than he was before. He can be a key player for us If he can perform consistently on the field. He got decent number of assists but he should be scoring more goals.

Lamela seems to be much happier now under Pochettino than he was before. He can be a key player for us If he can perform consistently on the field. He got decent number of assists but he should be scoring more goals.

He has made the step up from liability -> member of the unit/team, he needs/has to make the next step to a key individual who changes games (e.g. Lloris/Eriksen/Kane).

Goals is only part of that equation, more assists, goals, threat to opponent, ability to lift team.

It make sense to support him (we have little other right side options), but he has to improve considerably if he is to have a starting place here next season.

As long as he continues displaying flashes of his potential ability and does not prove to be a burden to the side anytime soon then i'm all for him continuing in the first team this season if that means that we'll see a higher level of performance from him on a more consistent basis next season. For me, the little flashes of brilliance that we have seen of him thus far are reason alone to stand by him and be patient.

He is not be up to the level of some others in the side at the moment in terms of general play but that does not necessarily mean that he is a liability or not contributing to the side at the minute. His pressing, tracking back and general work rate in the side are probably only second to Harry Kane. All attributes that are key to Poch's system.

I still regard this season as his bedding in season, last year is a complete write-off as far as i am concerned when you take into account all that occurred in and around the club and his personal situation to boot too. We've all seen what a season can do for the likes of Eriksen and to a degree Chadli, let’s just hope the same pans out for Lamela too. Also worth remembering that even the best struggle at times in their debut seasons, just take a look at Surarez at Barca now, Falcao at Utd and even Modric a couple of years back in his debut season at Madrid.

Sorry to nitpick, but I thought Eriksen was the hardest working in terms of work rate?

Sorry to nitpick, but I thought Eriksen was the hardest working in terms of work rate?

The whole think is based on total distance ran stats which are hard to find and only the top ten appear on the official premier league website once a week.
Eriksen's total is higher because he played more minutes than Lamela and Kane etc.
There is not a proper breakdown of the stat out there.

Eriksen might run a lot, but his pressing leaves a lot to be desired. Lamela really attacks the ball. That's what I consider working harder.

Eriksen might run a lot, but his pressing leaves a lot to be desired. Lamela really attacks the ball. That's what I consider working harder.

Might really be a difference in style, I would agree Lamela seems to attack the "opponent" more, Eriksen likely tries to cut the route out.

Compared to how Mason/Bentaleb/Kane/Lamela play, Eriksen seems to be more averse to physical contact. Haven't noticed whether he tries to cut the route.

If a man beats Eriksen though, I don't usually see him put his head down and chase after. It's a bit like Paulinho, he kind of just strolls casually once he's beaten instead of sprinting back to keep pressure up. It seems like Eriksen is trying to avoid injury.

Lamela really gets stuck into his challenges though, but he does need to concede fewer fouls. He does get the ball back quite often though, although sometimes it is to make up for the fact that he lost possession.

I get what you are saying. Lamela does throw himself about, whilst Eriksen aims to put his body into a position (whilst closing down the player in possession of the ball) that leaves them with few good options. It's almost like the old Carrick vs Parker debate from years ago, when Parker was at Chelsea and Carrick with us. Parker was always running around putting out the fires whereas Carrick did the opposite and cleverly positioned himself to make sure an attack couldn't develop easily.

I think Poch wants to see a lot of both, but honestly so long as they make the opposition defenders panic on the ball, we should be happy.

Last edited:
The whole think is based on total distance ran stats which are hard to find and only the top ten appear on the official premier league website once a week.
Eriksen's total is higher because he played more minutes than Lamela and Kane etc.
There is not a proper breakdown of the stat out there.

In addition to this "total distance covered" isn't a perfect correlation with work rate.

There have been articles about how coaches and managers look at the number of high intensity runs for example. It's very different to cover a lot of ground when most of it is at a jogging pace compared to making many high intensity runs and still getting good distance covered numbers.

(Not saying that any of our current players are getting good numbers by mainly jogging, was more thinking about for example Peter Crouch whose work rate was very good - but perhaps not exceptional despite exceptional distance covered numbers).

Can I ask how long do we have to wait to see some consistent creativity from our most expensive player?

Another abject display today.

I am tired of apologists pointing out out his workrate, his tackling, his running. Well, unless he turns into Matic mark II, that's not what I want or what we bought him for!! Just watched Pritchard playing RM for Brentford and he took my breath away! The only time the Argentine did that was his one and only goal - which now seems very much a fluke!

Can I ask how long do we have to wait to see some consistent creativity from our most expensive player?

Another abject display today.

I am tired of apologists pointing out out his workrate, his tackling, his running. Well, unless he turns into Matic mark II, that's not what I want or what we bought him for!! Just watched Pritchard playing RM for Brentford and he took my breath away! The only time the Argentine did that was his one and only goal - which now seems very much a fluke!

I think people are still backing him because he looks the part. Slick hair cut, gloves, dribbling technique. He has the look of a continental superstar but i am afraid he does not have the quality to go with it.

I think people are still backing him because he looks the part. Slick hair cut, gloves, dribbling technique. He has the look of a continental superstar but i am afraid he does not have the quality to go with it.

I think that is a pretty disrespectful thing to say. Is there anyone on here who you think is particularly impressed by a hair cut and gloves?

He found those pockets of space well today, and looked better coming off the left flank than the right. Probably should've got an assist. He definately is not a speedy player, I don't think we can afford to have both Eriksen and him in the same starting 11.

He found those pockets of space well today, and looked better coming off the left flank than the right.

Sorry, not buying any more apologies. If he found pockets of space he sure as hell did nothing with them.

This guy competes with Rebrov for the worst waste of money - I was willing to give him time, especially as he started to show some glimpses of quality some weeks ago, but he's reverted back to mean.

Oh well...what can we say...I won't apologize for him and I think he's a fine player who is soon to become an excellent one. Not even completed a 'proper' season here. Price tag was always gonad*s. I like him.

Back