• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Theres another team on the pitch when we play and we have to get the ball back.
I know everyone on here completely ignores the opposition and focuses solely on our players. Why are Mason and Benteleb suddenly struggling? They must be tired nothing to do with the 4 opposition players they are competing with in central midfield.

Again, his end product is not good enough at the moment. If Eriksen and Kane's goals are covering some cracks, Lamela's overall play being one of them. Are people really saying that if he gets only 2-3 league goals this season then that will be satisfactory as long as he works hard?

Again, his end product is not good enough at the moment. If Eriksen and Kane's goals are covering some cracks, Lamela's overall play being one of them. Are people really saying that if he gets only 2-3 league goals this season then that will be satisfactory as long as he works hard?

Don't you trust that Poch sees that Lamela makes an important contribution to his team? We'd all love him to be scoring 10+ goals and while he's not his work rate will be cited as a positive aspect of his game. Until recently Townsend gave us even less - in his last few appearances he has improved greatly, especially in the defensive aspect. Many of us see the potential in him and think that as this is effectively his first season he'd doing decently.

Don't you trust that Poch sees that Lamela makes an important contribution to his team? We'd all love him to be scoring 10+ goals and while he's not his work rate will be cited as a positive aspect of his game. Until recently Townsend gave us even less - in his last few appearances he has improved greatly, especially in the defensive aspect. Many of us see the potential in him and think that as this is effectively his first season he'd doing decently.

Yes, but he still needs to contribute more. It's great that he's working hard every game, he just needs the end product to go with it. All I'm trying to say is, whilst Chadli for example may not work as hard, we wouldn't fall apart if Lamela was given a rest for a few games. In fact, didn't we actually do quite well when he was out of the side? Beat Chelsea I recall and won a few other games.

I also said he is just about justifying his place in the side, I didn't say bench this brick clam now he's costing us.

winning the ball back high up the pitch and making interceptions are vital to the way the manager wants us to play, im sure we can all see that - it may not be as glamourous as scoring goals but it's important all the same and Lamela seems to be doing that as well as anyone in our front four - Obviously he needs to start scoring goals, but he's quite clearly doing well in other areas of the role the manager is asking him to play (hence his inclusion the majority of games which he is match fit for)

He created 3 chances and got an assist last night, made 6 tackles and covered the most ground out of any player in the pitch (as v Arsenal) - people will remember the poor decision though and say he had a bad game.

Last edited:
Yes, but he still needs to contribute more. It's great that he's working hard every game, he just needs the end product to go with it. All I'm trying to say is, whilst Chadli for example may not work as hard, we wouldn't fall apart if Lamela was given a rest for a few games. In fact, didn't we actually do quite well when he was out of the side? Beat Chelsea I recall and won a few other games.

I also said he is just about justifying his place in the side, I didn't say bench this crud clam now he's costing us.

Fair do. I think he definitely needs to up his end product and decision making. And we did do well when he had his recent injury. Townsend stepped up and scored those important penalties (the Chel$ki one especially). It seems like the hefty price tag suggests he should be the finished article, which he most definitely isn't (I think we got stung heavily on that one).

I also said he is just about justifying his place in the side, I didn't say bench this crud clam now he's costing us.

I am not sure that Chadli on the fight is a viable option unless we are really short. We are not playing to his strengths putting him there and it will really disrupt the way that we play. I suppose that we could play Dembele on the right, Chadli on the left and move Eriksen back to #10.

I think that Lamela's strongest games for us have been the last few. Unless there is something specific that Poch wants to work with him on the training pitch on or he thinks that it would be beneficial to remove him from the spotlight, I am not sure what would be gained from dropping him now.

Lamella had his best game for us yesterday IMO

He does work his socks off but he has too as he doesn't create or score enough in comparison to the player he is currently keeping out to warrant a place otherwise. I think it's great to have the competition for places again

His side is the one I'd like a more viable alternative too for next season but you can't fault him for yesterday

it looks like he has changed his game slightly - to focus on possession and keeping the ball moving, more than looking for the killer pass. hope he is able to keep this up.

Lamela is now our joint most creative player. With his assist for Kane against Liverpool, Lamela now has 5 assists in the league, the same as Chadli. Funny thing is, Lamela has more assists in the league than almost our entire midfield of Eriksen(1)+Dembele(1)+Townsend(1)+Bentaleb(1)+ Paulinho(0)+ Capoue(0)+Stambouli(0) combined ! In fact Chadli(5), Kane(3), Mason(3) and Rose(3) are our only other players with more than 1 assist in the league.

Like most of the team, odd game from him

- effort/tempo was there
Lamela is now our joint most creative player. With his assist for Kane against Liverpool, Lamela now has 5 assists in the league, the same as Chadli. Funny thing is, Lamela has more assists in the league than almost our entire midfield of Eriksen(1)+Dembele(1)+Townsend(1)+Bentaleb(1)+ Paulinho(0)+ Capoue(0)+Stambouli(0) combined ! In fact Chadli(5), Kane(3), Mason(3) and Rose(3) are our only other players with more than 1 assist in the league.

Fair, but at least 3 of Lamela's assists are from corners (not a bad thing), something to keep in mind

Anyone know how many assists our FBs have contributed?

No, no but he's a rubbish, lightweight, over-hyped waste of money! He hasn't even played a full season yet, but he's awful! No end product whatsoever! Townsend should definitely be ahead of him on the team-sheet, it's a travesty that he's not.

*cough* ahem *cough*

:rolleyes:

.. But in all seriousness, I love Lamela. He has a winners attitude that cannot be questioned, phenomenal raw attributes and will be a super-star in seasons to come. He just needs to put it all together consistently and without injury interruption (he is technically still growing into his body)

Hopefully the end of this season is the beginning of that process and next season is his time to truly start shining for us, even more than he already has.

Like most of the team, odd game from him

- effort/tempo was there

Fair, but at least 3 of Lamela's assists are from corners (not a bad thing), something to keep in mind

Anyone know how many assists our FBs have contributed?

Rose =3
Davies = 1

Lamella had his best game for us yesterday IMO

He does work his socks off but he has too as he doesn't create or score enough in comparison to the player he is currently keeping out to warrant a place otherwise. I think it's great to have the competition for places again

His side is the one I'd like a more viable alternative too for next season but you can't fault him for yesterday

But the player that he is keeping out does not play in Lamela's position. Unless we are talking about shunting Eriksen and Dembele across to for Chadli in on the left, we are looking at a choice between Lamela and Townsend and Lamela is comfortably ahead of Townsend on pretty much every count this season.

Maybe if he wasn't chasing back and making tackles he would in better position to score more. Look across the pitch to chadli, doesn't chase back but is up the pitch to capitalise on on turn overs.

If his end product is so bad, what does that say of the rest of the team considering he is one of our best performers for assists? He always looks to play positive whether it be a dribble of forward thinking pass, which naturally means his success rate is going to be lower than others who play it safer more. His end product can and will with time improve, but isn't really as bad as is made out by some....

Is that because we have seen Eriksen pushed out on the left side of the pitch to make room fro Dembele??

I doubt it. Eriksen has been very effective on the left earlier this season.

Eriksen has had plenty of games earlier this season where his impact overall all has been similar to his last couple of games, but he's popped up with a tremendous amount of goals even when not being great overall in play. In his last couple of games he hasn't managed to find the net so hasn't stood out as much. Whilst Lamela has been improving a bit.

Back