• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Oh well...what can we say...I won't apologize for him and I think he's a fine player who is soon to become an excellent one. Not even completed a 'proper' season here. Price tag was always cobblers. I like him.

Pray - please convince me (cause I really want to) how is he a fine player? He creates next to nothing, he dribbles himself into blind alleys time and time again and one goal by February is simply unacceptable.

And where do you see his game improving to make him an excellent player??

Sorry, not buying any more apologies. If he found pockets of space he sure as hell did nothing with them.

This guy competes with Rebrov for the worst waste of money - I was willing to give him time, especially as he started to show some glimpses of quality some weeks ago, but he's reverted back to mean.

Who's apologising?

If you don't call the predictable "but he a runs a lot and makes tackles" (often to retrieve balls lost in ridiculous dribble attempts) as apologies for justified criticism about his lack of creativity than we will need to agree to disagree.

If you don't call the predictable "but he a runs a lot and makes tackles" (often to retrieve balls lost in ridiculous dribble attempts) as apologies for justified criticism about his lack of creativity than we will need to agree to disagree.

How is that any more predictable than the criticism he receives?

How is that any more predictable than the criticism he receives?

His criticism is predictable because of his constantly underwhelming performances...

His apologists are predictable in trying to justify those performances by the repetitive "he works hard" when that "working hard" is giving us nothing in terms of output

His criticism is predictable because of his constantly underwhelming performances...

His apologists are predictable in trying to justify those performances by the repetitive "he works hard" when that "working hard" is giving us nothing in terms of output

Please stop using words like apologist, it is dismissive and unnecessary. People are entitled to hold different opinions to you and express them without being put down.

I don't see anyone claiming that Lamela is a world beater but people looking at the positives (and yes there are some) are just as likely to be right about his long term prospects as you.

Please stop using words like apologist, it is dismissive and unnecessary. People are entitled to hold different opinions to you and express them without being put down.

I don't see anyone claiming that Lamela is a world beater but people looking at the positives (and yes there are some) are just as likely to be right about his long term prospects as you.

The reason I say apologists is simply because we did not pay 30 mill for him to "run around and make tackles". He should be a (if not the) key creative force in our team and he absolutely isn't. He knew what he was expected to provide and, just as he accepted the signing on fee, also accepted the expectations that came with it.

Same thing with Soldado - he was bought to provide goals; end of story. No amount of running again can justify his failure to provide what was expected of him.

The last thing on my mind is to put fellow posters down - but I see the "positives" being rattled out for these two players as apologetic excuses. We can agree to disagree though...

I think people are still backing him because he looks the part. Slick hair cut, gloves, dribbling technique. He has the look of a continental superstar but i am afraid he does not have the quality to go with it.

I think he'd get a lot less stick if just went and shaved his hair off.
MIcheal Owen today couldnt believe he made a headed clearance in his own box.
This is based on his appearance.

The reason I say apologists is simply because we did not pay 30 mill for him to "run around and make tackles". He should be a (if not the) key creative force in our team and he absolutely isn't. He knew what he was expected to provide and, just as he accepted the signing on fee, also accepted the expectations that came with it.

Same thing with Soldado - he was bought to provide goals; end of story. No amount of running again can justify his failure to provide what was expected of him.

The last thing on my mind is to put fellow posters down - but I see the "positives" being rattled out for these two players as apologetic excuses. We can agree to disagree though...

We didn't pay £30m for him.

I want to reframe the question - not a black or white " he's brick vs he's good"

Is he easily replaceable ?
Or is he essential to the team?

I want to reframe the question - not a black or white " he's crud vs he's good"

Is he easily replaceable ?
Or is he essential to the team?

He's essential right now.
Chadli, Dembele and Townsend dont press enough in that position.
He's turning into our Dirk Kuyt.

Interesting comparison.

I was a big Kuyt fan.
I don't see much beyond good pressing and the odd good pass so far.
Kuyt also had effective dribbling, passing and crossing and popped up a magnitude of important goals.

I think with the current squad he is important for the team ( although chadli is also, in a different way ).
However, unless he starts adding to his game, he is replaceable in the summer and should be a squad player

Can I suggest that you address points that people make in posts rather than make generalised personal attacks on people who hold a different opinion to you

Didn't think I was apologising for him, especially as I went on to say that his lack of pace let him down once he got himself into those positions. I'm still willing to give him at least next season because I think he needs it, but he does need to show an up turn in his game to warrant a place in the starting 11. I have seen the footage from Italy, but everytime I have seen him play for us, he has looked best when getting the ball centrally (I know, I know, I'm a broken record). He had a bad game today, but the team as a whole was poor.

He's essential right now.
Chadli, Dembele and Townsend dont press enough in that position.
He's turning into our Dirk Kuyt.

Wtf kuyt scored 15 a season, brought others in to play and wasnt selfish in any way..... To compare Lamela to him because he runs around making tackles is a disgrace. As limited as kuyt was, he was in a different stratosphere to this guy!

I may start Lamela against Chelsea because we will probably be on the back foot a bit - but in terms of warranting a starting place - he has been woeful for 75% of this Season. Always defended him to the hilt but he is really starting to anger me with his horrific displays

Is Lamela not leading the way in assists this season? He should have a lot more as well with the chances he has created for others.

christ he is such an easy target for criticism because of the price tag.....Sky & BT pundits cant wait to tell us he is a flop.....oh a poor touch here and there sure, they never seem to elaborate the good stuff he does, and he really does do good stuff, very good stuff.

What many on here fail to grasp is that there are many who are desperate for him to fail, its just very sad for me that there are many spurs fans who feel this way also.

Look at it in a reasonable way please Mr Falcon, he is young comes to a foreign country, totally different lifestyle, and then finds a manager in AVB who didnt want him! + the injuries, we sack AVB and Sherwood rocks up and then the injuries again, this all = first season a write off! perhaps we can agree on that. The lad did not have the environment to suceed, he had the pressure of the price tag and homesick and two managers who would not give him the time of day.

This season he has a manager he can work with, but poch has had a long road and is only just starting to get us into the pressing game. I do not think his performances have been a disaster I feel he is taking time to adapt and showing us glimpses of quality.

feck me I would like to think we invested that 30m for our future, this player is the best dribbler on the ball in our squad, he can do things many players cant, if you cant see his potential then wow I guess. Fecking Patience is required and not an attitude of he cost x amount so should be scoring/assisting x amount per season.

If we count the players who really GET poch's way of playing then he is right up there! those players who really have adapted the best are Rose, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Kane and yes everyone's favourite Eric Lamela.

Why cant we have a bit of patience and give the lad the support and environment he needs to succeed??? I sure as sh** dont want us to wast 25-30m whatever the fee was so lets at least remain hopeful that he will succeed because I believe there is an amazing player in there who will come out if we do things the right way.

Or maybe I just think that because of his slick hair, his gloves and the tat on his neck ffs!

Judging him entirely by his price tag, basically. Which is actually relatively irrelevant.

I may start Lamela against Chelsea because we will probably be on the back foot a bit - but in terms of warranting a starting place - he has been woeful for 75% of this Season. Always defended him to the hilt but he is really starting to anger me with his horrific displays

"Horrific displays"??

Calm down.

Back