• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He just needs to calm down/relax a bit in his finishing. Sometimes it looks like he's trying a bit too hard and is a bit tense especially when finishing. The norwegian national team had a ski-jumping coach who made a now very famous and wise quote: Don't try too hard. Normal is enough!

I thought it was a typical Lamela performance personally. Did some good things, but chose the wrong option too many times and not effective enough. He's barely justifying his place in the side IMO.
I think his work rate and turning over of the ball is keeping him in at the moment. Also compare how much more protection he gives Walker compared to what Rose gets on the opposite side.

On another note was anybody else as tinkled off as I was with Chadli's complete lack of effort to track Lallana for Liverpool's winner? He saw Lallana start to make the run and half heatedly went with him and then stopped, only making another effort once Lallana was in behind us unmarked. I wonder whether that lack of effort will now result in a long spell out of the team for him as we saw with Lennon when he failed to track a run against Chelsea and we conceded?

He just needs to calm down/relax a bit in his finishing. Sometimes it looks like he's trying a bit too hard and is a bit tense especially when finishing. The norwegian national team had a ski-jumping coach who made a now very famous and wise quote: Don't try too hard. Normal is enough!
Hmmmm - has the Norwegian been coaching Chadli? ;)

I thought it was a typical Lamela performance personally. Did some good things, but chose the wrong option too many times and not effective enough. He's barely justifying his place in the side IMO.

I thought that he was one of our best players. He made a couple of mistakes, most notably picking the wrong option on the break but overall I think that he did very well.

I thought that he was one of our best players. He made a couple of mistakes, most notably picking the wrong option on the break but overall I think that he did very well.
Exactly this. I thought he ran his bloody socks off. Absolutely everywhere. He sprung so many counter attacks by winning the ball back. I think he genuinely surprised Liverpool.
His assist was lovely. He made the wrong choice a few times. But who didn't last night. The intensity of the game from both sides meant both sides made a lot of errors. We probably made more unforced ones unfortunately.

Its great to see that at the least Lamela has worked enough to be rated as something other than a fancy Dan by the fans. I particularly enjoy watching his reaction and celebrations when we score and that he is right in the middle of the pile on's and celebrations so he seems fully integrated and accepted by his team mates despite what appears to be some natural shyness he has.

That pass last night though, going outside rather than inside, i don't think i need to explain further which one, it almost gave me eye strain, the pass inside was so so so obvious that i thought he had seen something i hadn't. If i have one criticism of him its that sometimes he seems to not trust himself to make that final ball when he has a bit of time to think and it appears he abrogates responsibility to a team mate.

A slight increase in his assists and and 1 in 4 (1 in 3 is too much to hope for?) goal tally and he will be a superb player for us. Sort of Waddle to Eriksens Hoddle in a way.

One point i always meant to write here but never got around to is the fact that Lamela has been tracked, followed, reported on and hyped from an extremely young age and whilst we often hear of some super kid somewhere who either peters out or disappears Lamela has STEPPED UP at every single stage of his development so its highly unlikely (barring some awful injury) he won't achieve what is supposed to be his "potential" which is borderline world class+ in my opinion.

Whilst people may still point to players such as Bentley (does Jenas deserve to be in this category??) fading away, failure in a players early 20's seems to be from an incorrect attitude and i don't think Lamela's attitude can currently be questioned.

We would be silly to not persevere with lamela, and though i agree players should be in the team based solely on merit i'd almost be willing to make an exception for him and simply keep picking Lamela so long as his attitude and commitment is correct. He WILL come good, very good.

If Kane carries on like he is and Eriksen can become an influence in a slightly higher percentage of games + Lamela doing the business that is an incredibly potent attacking force in the best traditions of Tottenham Hotspur and with an average age of what? 21yrs old? Incredible.

Had his shot from 18m gone in, he would have been MoM.

Thought he played a very good game, as the stats suggest also.
Yup, he was unlucky not to score there to double his tally for the season.

Perhaps that was still playing on Lamela' mind when, only a minute or so later, he decided to play that reverse pass to Dembele rather than the obvious through ball to Mason.

I thought he was quite good first half and quite poor in the second half. At times, him, Eriksen and Kane linked up nicely.

Think he needs to improve his decision making.

Its great to see that at the least Lamela has worked enough to be rated as something other than a fancy Dan by the fans. I particularly enjoy watching his reaction and celebrations when we score and that he is right in the middle of the pile on's and celebrations so he seems fully integrated and accepted by his team mates despite what appears to be some natural shyness he has.

That pass last night though, going outside rather than inside, i don't think i need to explain further which one, it almost gave me eye strain, the pass inside was so so so obvious that i thought he had seen something i hadn't. If i have one criticism of him its that sometimes he seems to not trust himself to make that final ball when he has a bit of time to think and it appears he abrogates responsibility to a team mate.

A slight increase in his assists and and 1 in 4 (1 in 3 is too much to hope for?) goal tally and he will be a superb player for us. Sort of Waddle to Eriksens Hoddle in a way.

One point i always meant to write here but never got around to is the fact that Lamela has been tracked, followed, reported on and hyped from an extremely young age and whilst we often hear of some super kid somewhere who either peters out or disappears Lamela has STEPPED UP at every single stage of his development so its highly unlikely (barring some awful injury) he won't achieve what is supposed to be his "potential" which is borderline world class+ in my opinion.

Whilst people may still point to players such as Bentley (does Jenas deserve to be in this category??) fading away, failure in a players early 20's seems to be from an incorrect attitude and i don't think Lamela's attitude can currently be questioned.

We would be silly to not persevere with lamela, and though i agree players should be in the team based solely on merit i'd almost be willing to make an exception for him and simply keep picking Lamela so long as his attitude and commitment is correct. He WILL come good, very good.

If Kane carries on like he is and Eriksen can become an influence in a slightly higher percentage of games + Lamela doing the business that is an incredibly potent attacking force in the best traditions of Tottenham Hotspur and with an average age of what? 21yrs old? Incredible.

Good analysis. I think he's already shown this season that he has improved. Early on he was impressive when teams stood off him but when pressed he could be bullied off the ball. His decision making has been questionable at best. By December his work rate/press was in tandem with the rest of the team but was still a little wayward with his passing. Since his return from injury he's been bang on the money - putting in very impressive defensive shifts and using the ball intelligently. In fact he seems to have had a few opposition full backs on a string, backing them into the box and beating them. I really think its coming together for him now and I fancy goals and more assists will follow.

H'mmm not realy seeing it with Lamela, don't know what it is but he just has not lived up to the price tag.

This. People keep mentioning his work rate, that should be the minimum required from him. I realise that not all players do work hard but you get the point. He made one great pass for Kane's goal, but then he reverted back to giving it away and picking the wrong option rather than growing in confidence.

His price tag isn't really relevant. As it is, he more than justifies his inclusion in the team.

He feels (to me) like he's on the verge of making a dramatic leap in quality. I think we will really see what he's all about next season - after his first 'proper' year of playing for us. Clearly there are lots of things Poch likes about him, and in Poch we trust.

Just a few points with Eric...

It annoys me sometimes when I see comments like his high work rate & pressing is the minimum we expect! Its a Shay Given

did we expect high work rate from Berba all those years ago when we loved him???? erm no he was not that type of player but the things he could do on the ball made us fall head over heels for him.

What I am trying to say is there are certain players like Kane, Dirk Kuyt heck even Jonathan Walters who bust a gut each game and this is something that they should be rated for....Its a very important quality and a vital component for a successful team....Not all players have this in their locker so I feel it is justified when people highlight Lamela's efforts and it saddens me when people just poo poo them.

Eric Lamela has much to do to improve his game...from what I can see he is perhaps taking his sweet time....but in my humble opinion the boy has the ability & workrate to be different gravy.....perhaps he is an easy target for criticism as some cant get past the notion of the price tag.

For me I am feeling really optimistic at the moment watching our young team grow together...Lamela is a big part of that!

I know patience has gone out of fashion....everyone wants everything yesterday...people expect goals/assists in certain numbers in relation to the transfer fee.

We have such a talented player here and we just need to coax him along.

Keep believing! I do!

This. People keep mentioning his work rate, that should be the minimum required from him. I realise that not all players do work hard but you get the point. He made one great pass for Kane's goal, but then he reverted back to giving it away and picking the wrong option rather than growing in confidence.

Why dont Chadli or Dembele the other two alternatives to him do as much defensively as Lamela then if this is the minimum. Look at the tackling and interception stats from last night. Lamela did more than Eriksen, Dembele and Chadli put together.

Theres another team on the pitch when we play and we have to get the ball back.
I know everyone on here completely ignores the opposition and focuses solely on our players. Why are Mason and Benteleb suddenly struggling? They must be tired nothing to do with the 4 opposition players they are competing with in central midfield.

Why dont Chadli or Dembele the other two alternatives to him do as much defensively as Lamela then if this is the minimum. Look at the tackling and interception stats from last night. Lamela did more than Eriksen, Dembele and Chadli put together.

Except we are not going to win games purely from interceptions and working hard.

In theory it should bethe minimum, in practice we know it's not always the case. The point is, if he's not going to contribute in terms of goals, then working hard is the least he should be doing.

I think people are a bit over protective of him but that I don't expect everyone to agree.

Back