• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

We enquired early, but the clubs were miles apart in their valuations. We weren't interested any more, but they came back to us with a lowered asking price late in the window. We were happy to stick with the keepers we had, but in the end Lloris was too good to turn down.

yeah, he is a brilliant number two8-[

didn't catch their goals - he was putting in a confident performance up until then - can he shoulder some blame for them ?

didn't catch their goals - he was putting in a confident performance up until then - can he shoulder some blame for them ?

The first one is a deflection, the second one, a lot of keepers would struggle to make the initial save from Holt. A lot like Southampton's goal, a difficult save from a good strike, just that we didn't react quick enough to clear it.

He was excellent I thought. He's like a cheetah off the line, they went through 1v1 at one point and before their striker decided what he was going to do with his life out comes Lloris to block it. Came and punched half a dozen dangerous crosses away too, along with one pretty good save in the 2nd half.

I always chuckle a bit when someone complains about him flapping. Hope none of you ever said anything about Friedel staying on his line.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas refused to criticise Hugo Lloris after the goalkeeper's blunder in the 2-1 defeat by Norwich.

The Frenchman produced a number of impressive saves in the Capital One Cup clash at Carrow Road but failed to deal with Grant Holt's header near the end of the match, allowing Simoen Jackson to score the winner.

Norwich had drawn level just moments earlier through Jan Vertonghen's own goal, with Spurs earlier taking the lead thanks to Gareth Bale.

Villas-Boas admitted it was a concern to see his defence again crumble in the dying minutes under pressure, saying: "It is obviously something that is in our mind at the moment.

"It is obviously difficult but the further you train these situations sometimes the worse it becomes.

"You cannot match the emotion and concentration players face during the game. We obviously have to do better and try to improve things for the next game.

"It's a pity to see the game slip from our hands. We had a good performance."

Asked about Lloris, Villas-Boas said: "He did extremely well in the game. He had a good solid performance. It is difficult for goalkeepers in situations like these."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8216291/Andre-Villas-Boas-not-blaming-Hugo-Lloris-after-Tottenham-s-Capital-One-Cup-exit

WTF? What's he supposed to be criticising him for?

I don't think so. Some may say he was at fault for the second goal, but people get fixated on slow motion replays and judge people on them. These things happen in a split second and when he made the initial very good save he wouldn't have had the time to alter his body shape or think to himself I bette push this ball into space.

I think that was likely to happen regardless of the result or his performance tonight

That doesn't make much sense assuming AVB's ethos so far (on this particular situation) has been 'fight for your place and earn it'

I sincerely doubt he picks players regardless of their repsective performances and if this wasn't enough to earn Hugo a start, not sure what to say really.

Last edited:
I'm not asking you to repeat your reasons for thinking Lloris should start, you are right, you have made them very clear. I think that it is interesting to discuss why AVB is making the selection decisions that he is and what his reasons might be. The guy is clearly no idiot and his detailed and thorough approach to each game is well documented. Unlike Harry, AVB spends a lot of time on the training pitch and is very involved in training.

The premise of your post suggested myself and other vocal supporters of AVB's appointment shouldn't (or at the very least - attempt to) criticise 'our man' since he was the no.1 choice prior to this. Or in other words - this is the guy you wanted - now stop moaning if he's not picking Lloris to start. At least that is how it came across - speaking under correction so feel free to tell me otherwise if I've misunderstood something. I simply outlined you can support the manager and still raise valid conerns occasionally about some of his decision - the two aren't mutually exclusive per se.

Last edited:
I thought he was strong tonight, though must admit on first viewing, I'd have liked better handling of the header from Holt. There again, at least he got down to it in the first place...

I think he needs to stick with Lloris now. Dropping him after that might ruin his confidence.

It would most certainly do that and send out a poor message to the rest of the team, imv - 'perform as best as you can to earn a spot = means fudge all - I'll stick with the regulars'. I don't think AVB would do that personally so here's hoping.

The premise of your post suggested myself and other vocal supporters of AVB's appointment shouldn't (or at the very least - attempt to) criticise 'our man' since he was the no.1 choice prior to this. Or in other words - this is the guy you wanted - now stop moaning if he's not picking Lloris to start. At least that is how it came across - speaking under correction so feel free to tell me otherwise if I've misunderstood something. I simply outlined you can support the manager and still raise valid conerns occasionally about some of his decision - the two aren't mutually exclusive per se.

That wasn't what I was trying to say. Anyone should be able to criticise or question a manager. I just think that discussing what AVB's reasons might be is more interesting than page after page of "x player is better and must start the next game" or "y player is rubbish and should only play in Europe".

The reasons, unfortunately - we can only speculate on

However, as far as opinion is concerned - I think most fans would be in agreement he has earn a start on Saturday based on last night, if nothing else

On MOTD 3 - Lawro and Savage have done a XI of the season so far, Brad is in goal. So perhaps we are being overly critical because of some Lloris love. Or maybe it's just a twunt and big girl's blouse being idiots.

Back