• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

He was more than he is currently. He has improved a lot since december, which is good news. If he keeps it up he might get that starting eleven spot on a permanent basis.

It is built on the past, however things change. Players get injured.

If he starts today i will not be particularly confident. Southampton's pressing game has improved immensely under Poch, and Huddlestone should be one of the two points that pressing us will hurt us. The other of course being Parker.

I actually think Parker excels when being pressed, as IMO one of his biggest strengths is making space for himself when under pressure. People mock his pirouettes, but they're normally very good at helping him to avoid being tackled. I think his passing might actually be worse when he's not being pressed...

Either way I don't want to see him in the team for the rest of the season.

I actually think Parker excels when being pressed, as IMO one of his biggest strengths is making space for himself when under pressure. People mock his pirouettes, but they're normally very good at helping him to avoid being tackled. I think his passing might actually be worse when he's not being pressed...

Either way I don't want to see him in the team for the rest of the season.

His pirouettes can be effective when he receives the ball under pressure, the problem is just that he plays himself and others into pressure by not being able to release the ball quickly and effectively.

Hudd can make a one (or two) touch pass to a player in space where Parker way too often ends up using a touch or two too many, getting into pressure and then either passing it to another player that is being closed down or being forced into a pirouette and then a pass to someone else being closed down.

In other words Parker is quite strong in those one on one's in isolation, but for the team he becomes almost completely ineffective and essentially a passenger for our attacking play when the other team puts us under pressure.

Had an average game today. Its obvious he is more suited to a 3 man midfield. Got beat several times by lallana, did have some decent first time passes though and made some good blocks aswell.

Hudd was the only one in the first half who actually tried to create - he was the only one capable of unlocking their defence and only one who tried to do something different.

He wasnt effective granted but the only one who tried. To be effective he needs players running and move - he didnt get that today

Im also bothered by the fact that he takes corners considering he is 6'3 wouldn't it be better if he was in the box to add extra height or atleast have him lurking outside the box to take a shot.

Hudd was the only one in the first half who actually tried to create - he was the only one capable of unlocking their defence and only one who tried to do something different.

He wasnt effective granted but the only one who tried. To be effective he needs players running and move - he didnt get that today

Fully agree. If dembele is out and Parker's ankle issue persists we should play Carroll --- Hudd---- Holtby to support him.

Im also bothered by the fact that he takes corners considering he is 6'3 wouldn't it be better if he was in the box to add extra height or atleast have him lurking outside the box to take a shot.

He's not great in the air and wouldn't score a lot from corners. Not uncommon for big players and goalscorers to take corners, see van Persie or Drogba as examples. A better struck corner for the rest of the team to fight for probably negates the slight loss of aerial power in the box in the views of the managers and I would think the same.

Fully agree. If dembele is out and Parker's ankle issue persists we should play Carroll --- Hudd---- Holtby to support him.

I really think we need a 4-3-3 against Chelsea, but I'm hoping that Parker is back. Just his kind of game.

Would be one hell of a time to give Carroll his first PL start, I can't see it happening. More likely that we see Sig centrally in a 4-3-3 or just our standard 4-2-3-1 with Holtby and Hudd in the centre should both Dembele and Parker be out. Hopefully at least one of them will be back.

He's not great in the air and wouldn't score a lot from corners. Not uncommon for big players and goalscorers to take corners, see van Persie or Drogba as examples. A better struck corner for the rest of the team to fight for probably negates the slight loss of aerial power in the box in the views of the managers and I would think the same.

I really think we need a 4-3-3 against Chelsea, but I'm hoping that Parker is back. Just his kind of game.

Would be one hell of a time to give Carroll his first PL start, I can't see it happening. More likely that we see Sig centrally in a 4-3-3 or just our standard 4-2-3-1 with Holtby and Hudd in the centre should both Dembele and Parker be out. Hopefully at least one of them will be back.

Yeah just watched AVB's after the game. Said Parker should be fit for Chelski. Hopefully he tells Parker to focus on the breaking up play and not trying to be a playmaker.

Had a poor game today. Lacked that precise passing he is known for. For all the talent in the world i think Hudd lacks that mental strength to perform when it matters.Hopefully he can recover and turn it around for Stoke.

I said it before the game tonight, he wasn't the right player to start the game.. He's a luxury player that gets bypassed when the game is at full tempo.. The painful thing was that when he was allowed some rare time on the ball, he wasted the opportunity.

Don't even get me started on his set piece delivery ](*,)

Siggy should have started in his place and Hudd should have been introduced for the last half hour in place of Parker, all hypotheticals though.

Think he might get a rest against Stoke.

I said it before the game tonight, he wasn't the right player to start the game.. He's a luxury player that gets bypassed when the game is at full tempo.. The painful thing was that when he was allowed some rare time on the ball, he wasted the opportunity.

Don't even get me started on his set piece delivery ](*,)

Siggy should have started in his place and Hudd should have been introduced for the last half hour in place of Parker, all hypotheticals though.

Think he might get a rest against Stoke.

Very harsh. Was posted in the ratings thread that he completed more passes than any other player on the pitch.

No surprise that we struggled up against Mate, Luiz and Ramires with both our first choice central midfielders out, an out of form Parker and Hudd who is still not at full match fitness. He wasn't great, but nowhere near as bad as you're saying.

Siggy is yet to start as a central/deep midfielder for us, I think there's a reason for that. Starting him there for the first time in this game would have gotten AVB (rightly) slated if it didn't work out.

Even if I accepted everything you said in your post the Stoke game will be a completely different game from the Chelsea one. Unless we plan to start Carroll we need Hudd for his passing against what will most likely be a well organized, hard working defensive Stoke team.

Yesterday Thudd was part of a Spurs midfield that largely held its own against one of the better midfields in Europe. Any midfield that gets a draw against Oscar/Mata/Hazard/Luiz and Ramires, is doing pretty well. Especially for a player who has not been part of the regular first team for most of the season.

Thudd is a deceptive player, he looks ponderous but actually covers the ground reasonably quickly over longer runs. It is also easy to underestimate the benefit of having someone who moves the ball on. If you watch him during the game, he rarely takes more than two or three touches. Since he has been back we have beaten Emirates Marketing Project and drawn away to Chelsea, and Hudd has played an influential part in both those games. As long as he is here, I'd like to see him start every game he's fit, that we play a three man midfield. (Siggy deserved more playing time this season too.)

Had an okay game today. Very reluctant to shoot from distance which is worrying, its as if he is a afraid to miss. Had a couple nice diagonal passes to Verts but seemed to dwell on the ball longer than he should have, maybe due to our lack of team movement. Set pieces again were awful.

Had an okay game today. Very reluctant to shoot from distance which is worrying, its as if he is a afraid to miss. Had a couple nice diagonal passes to Verts but seemed to dwell on the ball longer than he should have, maybe due to our lack of team movement. Set pieces again were awful.

As good as his passing technique he doesnt have the awareness of other players positions on the pitch that a top player has. He misses a lot of obvious passes and dwells on it.

As good as his passing technique he doesnt have the awareness of other players positions on the pitch that a top player has. He misses a lot of obvious passes and dwells on it.

Honestly i believe its a confidence thing with Hudd. He doesn't seem to have the mentality to brush off a bad pass or set piece. At times he plays within himself and shows in his decision making and execution of passes.

http://www.spashion.com/features/tom-huddlestone/

TOM HUDDLESTONE: FOOTBALLER
14/05/2013

Style:
Spashion

PHOTOGRAPHER: hAMISH bROWN
INTERVIEW: jESSICA mELLOR
Groomer: lANCE lOWE
Retouchers: PaperhatFTP

Tom Huddlestone talks to Spashion about settling in to Spurs, his love of hoodies and honing his skills so he can dazzle on the pitch.

Did you always want to play football?
Yeah, my granddad used to take me to watch my uncle play. He was a semi-pro. He used to take me to watch him when I was maybe 3 or 4 years old. And I remember having a kick about with the subs, and I discovered the game from there really.

What would you say was your big break?
I got spotted for Forest at a fairly young age, I think I was 8 years of age, playing for my school 5 a -side team. Representing England under 15s in the Victory Shield, it became more of a job, because of the organisation and professionalism. Working with England at such a young age was something to look forward to.

Do you feel now that you’ve settled in, that London is a bit more like your home?

Nottingham will always be my home in my heart but the first year was fairly difficult when I moved down, for various reasons – being away from my family and not playing as regular as I was used to and I would have liked. But once I got playing more regular that’s sort of your life really and I think things settled down based upon what I was doing on the pitch as well.

How do you mentally prepare when you play?

I’m not sure. I’m a fairly laid back person anyway. I think you’ve just got to be confident within yourself really.

What’s been the most memorable moment in your career?
Probably making my debut for England. It was in a friendly against Brazil and my mum was there and it was a proud moment for myself and for her.

Does the rivalry between Arsenal and Spurs still exist?

I think the rivalry is still there. I think more so the last few years it’s starting to even out. We’re giving them a good run for their money and it’s sort of in the balance of who’s going to finish higher in the league. When it’s like that, the closer the rivalry becomes and more exciting for everyone involved whether you’re playing or you’re supporting.

How did you feel walking on the pitch for your first big game for Spurs?

The first time I ever played was away from home and then the first time I started was away from home. My first start was away in Europe, which was a big game and we played well and I did fairly well myself. It’s just nice to get your debut out of the way, because if you haven’t played for a while it’s hanging over your head, so it’s just nice to get your debut out of the way and crack on with the rest of the games.

Do you still get the same buzz walking out on to the pitch and hearing the crowd?

I think that’s one of the things that has stayed game in and game out. Obviously some games have more significance and importance than others. But I think the excitement and adrenalin and slight nervousness are there for every game. Whether it’s a cup game or a league game that you have to win, or a relegation battle match.

This season you have come back after a few injuries last season. Are you feeling a lot happier and more positive?

The last few games I have done but the few months before were frustrating because I wasn’t hardly involved at all. But the last few I’ve started a couple and done fairly well. I’ve managed to come on in a couple of them and have a positive impact on the game and the results. Hopefully that will continue to the rest of the season.

So would you say you’re like a man on a mission…

Yeah, I’m 26, which isn’t that young but I’ve still got a large part of my career in front of me, so I’m still going to improve and be more consistent. There’s still a lot more to look forward to.

What does an average training day consist of?

I see the physio in the morning for a few manipulations, then go through a few different movements in the gym, before we go out and do the warm-up. Sometimes I go in the gym afterwards, depending how close or how far away from a game it is. Then go downstairs to the ice baths or do a few lengths in the swimming pool.

What do you do in the gym?

It’s a mixture of everything. Whether you’re not playing and you’re doing extra bit of cardio vascular work, or you are playing and you’re just doing a bit of stability work for your ankles and knees. Or you’re just doing weights ready for the beach in the summer.

What’s your diet when you’re training?

Usually quite a lot of fish and vegetables and potatoes and pasta, fairly boring stuff.

I’ve heard the England players are banned from eating butter?

They make us cut out a few bits but I think that was more the old England regime to be fair.

What do you think your main skill is, what comes naturally to you?

The things I work on are being a bit sharper and more reactive. But the more natural things are probably my ability on the ball – short passing, long passing or shooting.

Do you get the same rush setting up a goal as scoring?

I don’t score very often but yeah I do. If I get an assist I get a lot of pleasure in that as well.

Is there anyone in your career who’s given you really good advice?

Gary Bowyer ho is now the Blackburn [caretaker] manager was my coach on the under 13, 14s and 17s and he sort of let me express myself. When I went to Wolves on loan, Glenn Hoddle was manager and he gave me a lot of confidence, telling me the things I was good at. Sort of saying, if you make a couple of mistakes, don’t get your head down, don’t be afraid to try difficult passes again. If you get a couple wrong, you only need to get one right and you’ll score from it. Advice like that sticks with you and gives you confidence.

If you were manager, how would you improve on things next season?

We’ve had a good year to be fair and on the whole the season’s been good and it’s all to play for.

Do you have a strong interest in fashion?

Fairly strong. But I get told I buy too many clothes that I never wear. Ones I like but I just never wear!

How long does it take you to get ready for a night out?

I’m fairly sharp. Maybe an extra 10 or 15 minutes once I’ve showered.

Do you think it’s important for men to look good?

When people look smart and presentable, in any walk of life. Whether it’s a meeting or you’re on a date, it just gives off a good impression about yourself. It’s better than looking scruffy!

What’s your favourite outfit?

I’ve got a few baggy combats with my hoody that I wear for training, when the weather’s not good. But it varies – shorts and t-shirts today, But usually I like a hoody.

Who do you think has the best sense of style in Spurs and in football?

At Tottenham there’s a few but Scotty Parker is always looking sharp most days. In football I’d probably go David Beckham – he seems to look good in any outfit!

Spurs is obviously quite an international team does this make for interesting fashion choices in the dressing room?

Yeah, there’s a lot of unusual clobber that people come in each day. And with different cultures and nationalities it all makes for a better environment to have a bit of banter in.

Who are your favourite designers?

A lot of my stuff is Dolce & Gabanna.

Which is your favourite stadium you’ve played at?

Probably Wembley, I’d have to say.

What’s your favourite city?

Miami I reckon.

Where would you like to see yourself in 1 and 5 years time?

Hopefully being in the starting eleven position and in the England squad on a regular basis. In five years, maintain that and hopefully have won something at club level.

What’s the First thing you do when season ends?
Usually go on holiday. I think the club are taking us away at the end of season and then I’ll go on holiday straight from there I reckon.

How do you relax when you’re not playing?

In the summer I like to get away on holiday and just chill out really. Take my mind off football for a few weeks.

Name one thing you can’t live without?
Probably my phone.

To you sport is?
Everything. Every TV channel, every little kid plays it. Without it, the world would be a very boring place.

Fashion is…
A lot of it says a lot about the person and the way they are really. People who take a lot of pride in their3 appearance are usually fairly intelligent and like to represent themselves well.

Back