• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

Hudd has done well recently however, as always, as soon as someone spends some time out of hte team or out injured, people forget their limitations and then suddenly clamour for them to be brought back in and forget why the player was dropped in the first place!

Will be interesting though to see what AVB goes with for Wigan - perhaps 4-3-3 with Thudd, Parker and Dembele and then Bale, Defoe and Lennon (or Dempsey) up top? Tad harsh on Siggy and Dempsey but there you go

I wonder if maybe being brought on in the 60th minute or so doesn't suit Thudd best. By that point the other team is more tired and can't close us down as quickly, which gives him the time to look up and pick out passes. I think that if he starts, when the other team is fresh, he might not have the same impact.

I don't think it's all about tiredness. A player like Hudd changes the psychology of the opponent. When Parker's on the ball, the opponents know they can press and leave space - it's incredibly unlikely he'll punish them if they don't tackle him. Hudd on the other hand, is hard to muscle off the ball and has shown himself to be more than capable of putting in a dangerous ball even under pressure.

This leads the opposition to naturally sit deeper and press the recipient rather than the passer. Look what Scholes did for United against us as a good example.

I'm sorry Dubai, but I don't see how you've shown that what follows after your "ergo" is true.

Hudd has shown in the past that he can be effective playing the entire game, not sure what has now changed?

You could just as likely say that if Hudd starts the opposing team is likely to tire quicker because they will have to deal with a better passing team and so starting Hudd allows us to reap the benefits earlier. It might also allows us to create more chances in the opening hour instead of having to wait around for the opponents to tire. Unless we actually get several games of Hudd starting in a similar set-up to the one he looked very effective in yesterday where he consistently fails to impact the game in the first hour then I see no evidence to support your conclusion.

Also, it's not true that we will only have Parker to bring on from the bench, if Holtby isn't starting he could easily be brought on and if Holtby starts then we can have Tom Carroll on the bench to bring on if we need another passer later on in the game. AVB has already used Carroll from the bench to do exactly that with some success.

True, he has shown in the past he can be effective playing for ninety minutes. However, it has to be asked then why he hasn't been used more often this season. There have been many times we have been crying out for his creativity, but yet AVB has persisted in using him sparingly.

So if we need him, but don't use him, then obviously there must be something that precludes AVB from including him in his team setup. For me, that's fitness. Hudd's looked bulkier this season than he did the last time he was playing regularly (09-10), and his injury issues over the past two years have quite evidently reduced his mobility. Now, is it really that much of a jump to assume that a slower, bulkier Hudd would struggle when up against fully fit terriers hounding him ceaselessly, as has been the case with Parker and Dembele countless times this season? And is it also not logical to assume that he would tire quicker when trying to evade the attentions of these opposition players?

I'm quite downhearted about it, but I don't think yesterday's Hudd could have lasted ninety minutes. 09-10 Hudd, sure. But not yesterday's.

Now, I've hopefully established that. It follows, then, to examine what situations Hudd could potentially start in. I assumed that Hudd's relative immobility meant that operating in a two-man pivot with Dembele would expose us to unnecessary risk of quick break-aways, especially when paired with our lack of a genuine centre-back 'speedster' a la Kaboul or King, able to put on burst of acceleration to catch up to opposition counter-attacks. Therefore, I assume that if we start Hudd, it would be in a 3-man midfield with Holtby and Dembele, whose mobility would enable Hudd to perform at maximum effectiveness, at least theoretically. Therefore, Holtby wouldn't be available on the bench.

Sure, you could replace Hudd with Carroll if he's ineffective, but I've always seen Carroll as being more effective in the position Holtby played yesterday, as a link-man between the striker and the deep-lying midfielders. I don't think he could effectively cover a role alongside Dembele and Holtby without us sacrificing some of our defensive solidity, at least not yet. With a good loan next season, possibly. Not yet.

So that leaves Parker as the only option to replace Hudd directly, should he tire. And if we're still drawing or trailing when he comes off, we will have a problem.

For what it's worth, I think Hudd can still carve out a regular place for himself in the matchday squad next season. In fact, I'm rather hoping he does: I've always liked him. But that'll only happen if he regains some measure of mobility, which is crucial in AVB's system. And don't get me wrong, he's not completely immobile: indeed, I wager he'd do a great job for most PL sides. But AVB's tactics so far have seen us rely on strength, speed and movement over traditional 'creativity', and here's where Hudd falls a little bit short, in my estimation.

So, to reiterate; if he comes on late, he will more often than not be a game-changer. If he starts, I fear he won't make the impact we're all hoping he will.

Hudd has done well recently however, as always, as soon as someone spends some time out of hte team or out injured, people forget their limitations and then suddenly clamour for them to be brought back in and forget why the player was dropped in the first place!

Will be interesting though to see what AVB goes with for Wigan - perhaps 4-3-3 with Thudd, Parker and Dembele and then Bale, Defoe and Lennon (or Dempsey) up top? Tad harsh on Siggy and Dempsey but there you go

Doesn't follow that Thudd has become fit only for the scrap-heap either.

Thudd was dropped because his performances earlier this season were consistently way below what he is capable of. It is taking a ridiculous amount of time for him to recover from his long spell out through injury, weight issues and what-have-you. In particular he has been turning like a tanker that had run out of fuel. However it seems lfrom that you've concluded he will never again be good enough to play 90 minutes on a regular basis at top-four level. If so that's where I take issue with you.

So he will never be the quickest on the turn, we know that, but that doesn't mean he won't ever get back his pre-injury levels of competence defensively. He has always had a decent tackle on him and was once considered good enough to be a makeshift central defender. My take on it is that Thudd is still on a long slow journey to recover full match sharpness and mobility levels. He is not yet purring like the Rolls Royce we have seen in the past but he's getting there. Of course he is never going to be another Beckenbauer but yesterday he reminded us that he can pass a ball out of defence like few others in the Premiership today. That's what helps turn games and that's why we need him back.

Re: Huddlefro'

I would love to see us start with exactly the same team that ended the match the other day. I would even leave Lennon on the bench.

True, he has shown in the past he can be effective playing for ninety minutes. However, it has to be asked then why he hasn't been used more often this season. There have been many times we have been crying out for his creativity, but yet AVB has persisted in using him sparingly.

So if we need him, but don't use him, then obviously there must be something that precludes AVB from including him in his team setup. For me, that's fitness. Hudd's looked bulkier this season than he did the last time he was playing regularly (09-10), and his injury issues over the past two years have quite evidently reduced his mobility. Now, is it really that much of a jump to assume that a slower, bulkier Hudd would struggle when up against fully fit terriers hounding him ceaselessly, as has been the case with Parker and Dembele countless times this season? And is it also not logical to assume that he would tire quicker when trying to evade the attentions of these opposition players?

I'm quite downhearted about it, but I don't think yesterday's Hudd could have lasted ninety minutes. 09-10 Hudd, sure. But not yesterday's.

Now, I've hopefully established that. It follows, then, to examine what situations Hudd could potentially start in. I assumed that Hudd's relative immobility meant that operating in a two-man pivot with Dembele would expose us to unnecessary risk of quick break-aways, especially when paired with our lack of a genuine centre-back 'speedster' a la Kaboul or King, able to put on burst of acceleration to catch up to opposition counter-attacks. Therefore, I assume that if we start Hudd, it would be in a 3-man midfield with Holtby and Dembele, whose mobility would enable Hudd to perform at maximum effectiveness, at least theoretically. Therefore, Holtby wouldn't be available on the bench.

Sure, you could replace Hudd with Carroll if he's ineffective, but I've always seen Carroll as being more effective in the position Holtby played yesterday, as a link-man between the striker and the deep-lying midfielders. I don't think he could effectively cover a role alongside Dembele and Holtby without us sacrificing some of our defensive solidity, at least not yet. With a good loan next season, possibly. Not yet.

So that leaves Parker as the only option to replace Hudd directly, should he tire. And if we're still drawing or trailing when he comes off, we will have a problem.

For what it's worth, I think Hudd can still carve out a regular place for himself in the matchday squad next season. In fact, I'm rather hoping he does: I've always liked him. But that'll only happen if he regains some measure of mobility, which is crucial in AVB's system. And don't get me wrong, he's not completely immobile: indeed, I wager he'd do a great job for most PL sides. But AVB's tactics so far have seen us rely on strength, speed and movement over traditional 'creativity', and here's where Hudd falls a little bit short, in my estimation.

So, to reiterate; if he comes on late, he will more often than not be a game-changer. If he starts, I fear he won't make the impact we're all hoping he will.

We cannot know what AVB thinks of course. I don't know why he hasn't been used more frequently, I think he's shown his value lately and I'm encouraged to see him brought on earlier than before and on for Parker instead of Dembele. I hope he's shown enough to warrant a start because I think we need him. If he isn't fit enough to start then he's obviously not going to start, that's fair enough, but I don't see how we could possibly know that either way.

He doesn't seem any less mobile now than he was before his injury to me at least.

I would like to see us start the Hudd - Dembele - Holtby central trio against Wigan.

Carroll played for about 40 minutes or so (extra time + the end of the second half) away against Basel, most of that he played alongside Holtby when we were 10 against 11. I thought they did quite well together. You might argue that Wigan are much better than Basel, I'm not sure. The entire point was about an option from the bench, if we need a passer to come on then I would assume it's because we need a goal and then I would guess that Carroll would come on to play a similar role to what he's done most of his games for us. A role that he showed himself at least fairly competent in defensively too against Basel.

As long as the option is Parker I don't see any argument against Hudd based on attacking qualities, talk about speed and movement all you want, but whatever Hudd is lacking going forward he more than compensates for with his passing and vision when compared to someone like Parker.

We cannot know what AVB thinks of course. I don't know why he hasn't been used more frequently, I think he's shown his value lately and I'm encouraged to see him brought on earlier than before and on for Parker instead of Dembele. I hope he's shown enough to warrant a start because I think we need him. If he isn't fit enough to start then he's obviously not going to start, that's fair enough, but I don't see how we could possibly know that either way.

He doesn't seem any less mobile now than he was before his injury to me at least.

I would like to see us start the Hudd - Dembele - Holtby central trio against Wigan.

Carroll played for about 40 minutes or so (extra time + the end of the second half) away against Basel, most of that he played alongside Holtby when we were 10 against 11. I thought they did quite well together. You might argue that Wigan are much better than Basel, I'm not sure. The entire point was about an option from the bench, if we need a passer to come on then I would assume it's because we need a goal and then I would guess that Carroll would come on to play a similar role to what he's done most of his games for us. A role that he showed himself at least fairly competent in defensively too against Basel.

As long as the option is Parker I don't see any argument against Hudd based on attacking qualities, talk about speed and movement all you want, but whatever Hudd is lacking going forward he more than compensates for with his passing and vision when compared to someone like Parker.

Good post. RE: Carroll's defensive ability, I was very impressed with how he played away to Basel bearing in mind the circumstances. I'm looking forward to his development because irrespective of Hudd's ability, players of his physique in the modern game have to almost be shoehorned in (by playing two athletic pressers in front).

It was a massive breath of fresh air when Thudd came on yesterday though, I had forgotten what a 25+ yard pass looked like. I think he'll have an important role for the rest of the season and possibly even in coming seasons depending on where we finish/who we can sign over the summer.

That pass to Bale was delicious. Perfection. Running away from Bale with such a narrow gap to aim for and straight into Bale's path. Pure Hoddlestone.

Huddlestone wants more game-time

Tom Huddlestone admits his eight-year spell at Tottenham may have to end this summer if he does not start playing more first-team football.

Huddlestone enjoyed a rapid rise to stardom when he joined Spurs in 2005, quickly winning himself a first-team place - and comparisons with Glenn Hoddle - thanks to his superb passing ability.

The midfielder was instrumental in helping Tottenham qualify for the Champions League three seasons ago, but since then his progress has been severely hampered by an ankle injury.

Huddlestone has started just six Barclays Premier League games over the last two seasons and he has struggled to break in to Andre Villas-Boas' side, with most of his appearances this term coming from the substitutes' bench.

He came close to joining Stoke last summer and an injury to rival Sandro scuppered hopes of a transfer to Fulham in January, but the 26-year-old concedes he may have to look elsewhere if he does not get more game-time.

"I am 26 now. I missed a year to 18 months through injury," he said. "You just want to play every game and if that opportunity is not at Tottenham then I will have to look elsewhere."

There was an air of sadness in Huddlestone's voice as he talked about the possibility of leaving White Hart Lane, where he has developed a strong bond with the home fans thanks to a number of impressive displays and thumping strikes.

Having been included in the England squad that took on Sweden in November, however, he knows that with a run of first-team action he could come into Roy Hodgson's thinking for next summer's World Cup.

Huddlestone has come off the bench for Tottenham's last three games, but that may not be enough to make him stay at the club.

"I can't really judge it over the last five games or whatever," he said.

"You've got to see the bigger picture throughout the whole season and speak to the manager and see if I am in his plans or not.

"You speak to the manager every day and if you are not playing for a sustained period then you do wonder what's going on, but the manager has reassured me that I am in his plans even though time-wise on the pitch it hasn't always been shown that way.

"I'm not sure what happened (regarding Fulham). I just read about it and saw it on the TV."

Huddlestone showed signs that his form is returning on Sunday as he came off the bench to play a big part in Tottenham's stunning 3-1 win over Emirates Marketing Project.

The England international commanded a reshaped three-man midfield and sliced open the City back four to allow Gareth Bale to seal a vital win which gave Spurs' Champions League dreams a huge boost.

Huddlestone now hopes his disappointing spell on the fringes will come to an end.

He added: "It has been a frustrating few months. Scotty (Parker) has been back and fit. He has played a few games.

"Mousa (Dembele) has been excellent since he has come in so it's just a case of biding your time and, if you are given a slight opportunity towards the end of games like I was against City, you to have to try to prove to the manager that you should be in the starting XI."

An extended run in the team would also give Huddlestone a better chance of cutting the huge afro which has been growing at a rapid rate for over a year.

As part of a bet to raise money for charity, the midfielder has vowed to keep the scissors away from his hair until he scores his next Premier League goal.

"I could do with it being cut before the summer, but I would rather us finish in the top four than see the barbers," said Huddlestone, who has so far raised over £11,000 for Cancer Research.

"If I had known it would go on for this long, I wouldn't have made the bet."

http://www.football365.com/tottenham-hotspur/8666582/Huddlestone-wants-more-game-time

Anyone else notice the similarity in how The Hudd has become the 'go-to-guy' for both AVB and Ramos back in the day?:-k

There were countless times when Ramos brought on Hudd in the second half of games, especially if we were a goal or two down and it would almost instantly lead to a change in our fortunes. Such a shame Hudd doesn't seem to have the physival qualities in a team set-up like ours to last a whole game. It's good that AVB seems to have a plan of when to use him and when not to.

For me, it wasn't necessarily his fitness earlier in the season but his passing. It was quite poor, not up to what it could be. His set pieces were decent, but his passing wasn't consistent. Lately he has looked more like the player he can be. So I wouldn't mind him getting a run.

AVB has said Hudd would be useful next year if we play 4-3-3. He's shown he can work in that formation so we should be hopeful.

I've always been a fan. Of course I'd like to see us move on a level, but wouldn't like seeing Tommy in another team's jersey. I think the guy just needs games. We know how good he can be, and I think he can get better.

Huddlestone is so different from the rest of modern day footballers. It's like going 20-30 years back in time and watch the likes of Socrates, Beckenbauer, Valderrama etc.. Just a joy to watch! Sadly this goes for his tempo and movement as well. He's so slow.

Perhaps it's a difference in perspective. Hudd looks slower now than he did in 09-10 to me, though whether that's just because the players around him are faster now or because he's gotten slower himself is open to debate. Carroll's defensive qualities are not up to par for me as well: he seems eager, but unaware of the intricacies of positioning and physical play, vital for an ostensibly semi-defensive role. He'll probably pick them up as his career progresses, but right now he can't carry out that deep-lying role. After all, despite our efforts, we were basically getting hammered for the entire period of extra time against Basel, though again, the reasons for that are open to debate.

Finally, I agree with you, Hudd's passing abilities and vision are unparalleled.It's just worth thinking about whether those qualities alone are enough to win him a place in this new hard-running Spurs side.

At least he's honest about his intentions.

The situation all depends on how AVB rates or doesn't rate him. He is a decent bench option at the worst, I think playing in a 4-3-3 would cover him defensively better than a two man midfield would. Dembele + Sandro + Hudd would work well against the more challenging teams and Dembele + Hudd + Holtby would be good to break down teams that sit back more.

Though none of the players in those two incarnations seem likely to get double figures for the season, would put a lot of pressure on the front three to perform.

But if AVB has his eye on a new CM starter then i would not be surprised if Thudd was 'let go' during the summer.

People want him to play against Wigan yet when he played against Wigan when we lost 1-0 at home he was one of the bad performers.

stick with what works imo, let Parker be busy for an hour then when Wigan are (hopefully) worn down bring him on to exploit the space

Back