• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
As in the other thread, tell me who these wingers are that would have represented definite improvement, been willing to be part of a sqaud knowing he has to compete with Bale and Lennon, and would have been affordable.

You think Harry likes having to play Niko there? You think he likes our play looking rigid and unbalanced when Bale or Lennon is out? Not in a million years. But we are a club competing well beyond where we should be, and therefore we make do with what we have. Quality wingers, just like quality all round strikers, are not that easy to find especially to join us and not be guarenteed to be a starter, and therefore we have to go with playing the likes of Niko there. He's done a decent job in some games and a not so decent one in others. But that's the life of being a back up at a club without the budget of the biggest in the world...the ones we are competing with.

It is not my job to find players. I offered you examples before and you made excuses about them, and in truth its just not the point. The point is that a football club manager, his many coaches, his scouting network his board and his chairman should build a squad to cope.

To build a side based on width and have only two wide players at your disposal is pure folly. I would say negligent to have not brought in cover.

How can you even begin to try justifying it?

We have scouts that can pick a DM out of south america and yet cannot find a player able to hug the touchline and put in a cross?

That's a fairer post that I can agree with. I just want to wait until the season is over before answering those questions, as whether or not we can break out of this slump and win games when it matters, and so qualify for CL again, will affect what I think of Harry's (primarily motivational) ability.

Why? After over 3 years in charge, what will the next 5 games tell you that you shouldnt already have formed an opinion on?

I can also see that's a fair post, and I think the answer is yes he can.

Harry's strength is getting the best out of good players. He keeps it simple, lets good players express themselves and they play to their potential because of it. If he had a sqaud equal to that of United and City's, he would be in there with them chasing the title right now. I'm 100% sure of it.

At the level we aspire to do you honestly believe good motivation and freedom of expression is enough to seriously compete?

I dont. Not at all. And I suspect that is why we do not see eye to eye on this matter.

It could tell us if Redknapp can turn things around or not. Surely thats what should decide his fate?

I would have thought the last few seasons would be enough to work it out. At this point, perhaps in error, I dont see Harry doing anything in the next 5 games that I havent seen him do before - for better or worse...

Perhaps he can ask the players nicely to win those 5 games. That seems to be his only fuking plan. Please guys, do it for ol Azza. Pretty please

Disgrace

I would have thought the last few seasons would be enough to work it out. At this point, perhaps in error, I dont see Harry doing anything in the next 5 games that I havent seen him do before - for better or worse...

Me neither, if Im totally honest.

But its only fair to judge him after the season. Managers jobs can be decided on staying up, or winning a title, and that comes down to the final minute of the final game sometimes.

If we take 15pts, regardless of what arsenal do, should Redknapp be judged exactly as he is being judged now? Surely you cant think so?

I do. The result at the end of the season isnt the whole story is it?

Just as Jols second 5th was no where near as good as his first - despite them being the same result at the end of the season.

I do. The result at the end of the season isnt the whole story is it?

Just as Jols second 5th was no where near as good as his first - despite them being the same result at the end of the season.

No but this 2 month spell isnt the whole story of the season either. What about the entire first half of the season?

Im well aware of the first half of the season. Its precisely that which makes the last 2 months so bad.

But you are judging him on 2 bad months, which means you are not acknowledging 4 absolutely brilliant months.....and you are also willing to dismiss 5 wins from our remaining games should we pull it off, meaning that out of an 8 month season, you would have judged him on two bad months, rather than 6 good months.

I think that is unjustifiable.

But you are judging him on 2 bad months, which means you are not acknowledging 4 absolutely brilliant months.....and you are also willing to dismiss 5 wins from our remaining games should we pull it off, meaning that out of an 8 month season, you would have judged him on two bad months, rather than 6 good months.

I think that is unjustifiable.

No, Im not. Im judging this season on ..... this season (strangely enough). Im judging Harry Redknapp on his time with the club.

Its not the last two months in isolation at all.

I was involved in very similar debate last summer, this isnt knee jerk at all. At the time I had concerns that we lacked a system of play, that we were poor in the transfer market and that the squad was out of balance. The first half of the season abated those fears because it seemed to me we were establishing a system - I thought Harry was putting things right (that I saw as wrong). It seems to me now he did nothing of the sort, he just got the lads on fire and kept them there (a particular skill of his) and I had misinterpreted it as preparation and development.

Why? After over 3 years in charge, what will the next 5 games tell you that you shouldnt already have formed an opinion on?

Well, at the moment I think that he has done a very good job over the last 3 years, in terms of both building the squad and getting good results both domestically and in Europe. But the slump that we are currently in is a new challenge, and how well Harry can get us out of it will affect what I think of him. If he can get the players playing with confidence again, and we end up getting good results and performances and finishing 4th, I'll continue to be impressed by him. If he can't, and we end up 5th or 6th, I'll be disappointed in his inability to motivate the players when things aren't going well. In the last 2 seasons we've finished strongly and then finished craply, and so our finish this season will help to determine if either of those are part of a pattern or not.

I agree that still not having natural cover for Lennon is poor. But in fairness we've had lots of good results and performances with VDV or Niko playing there, and I think that this is the exception to the rule in terms of identifying what the squad needs and then buying someone appropriate. IMO it's the only one of the 11 positions in the team that our squad is not stronger in, compared to when he arrived.

Dont think anyone is saying fire him today; would boot him in the summer

Its a shame quoting from another thread has been outlawed, because right now its relevant. But at least two different posters have said exactly that.

Well, at the moment I think that he has done a very good job over the last 3 years, in terms of both building the squad and getting good results both domestically and in Europe. But the slump that we are currently in is a new challenge, and how well Harry can get us out of it will affect what I think of him. If he can get the players playing with confidence again, and we end up getting good results and performances and finishing 4th, I'll continue to be impressed by him. If he can't, and we end up 5th or 6th, I'll be disappointed in his inability to motivate the players when things aren't going well. In the last 2 seasons we've finished strongly and then finished craply, and so our finish this season will help to determine if either of those are part of a pattern or not.

I agree that still not having natural cover for Lennon is poor. But in fairness we've had lots of good results and performances with VDV or Niko playing there, and I think that this is the exception to the rule in terms of identifying what the squad needs and then buying someone appropriate. IMO it's the only one of the 11 positions in the team that our squad is not stronger in, compared to when he arrived.

So you are condemning people on the basis they judge on the last two months, but are happy to base your entire judgement on the next 5 games?

I don think he has been especially good with the squad. I think he has done a good job (results speak for themselves) but could have done better, so solid rather than spectacular.

This in its entirety.

Back