• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
View attachment 624

Harry at Heathrow today; From twitter friend.

Apparently; Harry said that although he is disappointed about the result, He still believes that the top players will stay as Levy wants to move forward and not backwards.

Last edited:
why start to build long term anew when we're already 3 and half years into something that could and should be long term? pretty successfully too, i might add.

Its hardly long term when our most recent signings have been the wrong side of thirty. Or do you want to go back to Hoddle's 5 year plan again?

Its hardly long term when our most recent signings have been the wrong side of thirty. Or do you want to go back to Hoddle's 5 year plan again?

so does that mean our proposed signings have to be the wrong side of 30? so we haven't been looking at Vertonghen and Remy?

we have a young team overall, with experience in each department. most of our key players are coming into their prime, of the permanent players the exceptions are Friedel, King, Gallas and Parker.

no, i want Harry to continue to improve us, i want stability that we have had in aeons, i want refs not to rob us of at least 4 points.

why start to build long term anew when we're already 3 and half years into something that could and should be long term? pretty successfully too, i might add.

Arnesen and Commoli put in place a long term structure with our academy and most of our recruitment has been young, talented players with some older heads recently to help us on the way. We've recovered from the disaster that was Ramos and established ourselves in the top 5. Now is a good time for Levy to build on what's already in place.

Redknapp's teams will always have a higher percentage of older, more experienced players than most, that's what works best for him. He's quite happy to ditch them when they come to the end of their usefulness, even if it means replacing them with another lot of oldies. So long as it continues to work for him season in season out, what does it matter?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Redknapp's teams will always have a higher percentage of older, more experienced players than most, that's what works best for him. He's quite happy to ditch them when they come to the end of their usefulness, even if it means replacing them with another lot of oldies. So long as it continues to work for him season in season out, what does it matter?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

because relying on older players with higher wages and no resale value is not a sustainable strategy for our club and is precisely the the type of transfer policy which Levy worked so hard to displace by bringing in the DoF system all those years a go.

because relying on older players with higher wages and no resale value is not a sustainable strategy for our club and is precisely the the type of transfer policy which Levy worked so hard to displace by bringing in the DoF system all those years a go.

But it's useful when we can't find/get young targets. As long as we don't have to fork out high transfer fees for them they plug a gap for a couple of seasons.

But they usually cost nowt in the first place. And I frankly doubt their wages are any higher than you would expect to pay for the same quality in a younger player.

Where i would concede ground to you is that once he goes the next manager might have a problem. But any successor would be wanting to bring in his own men anyway.

Surely it is better to get a loan for six months than get a player you dont want (because the first three or four targets could not be attained)?

In fact its cost saving is it not? Rather than fork out 10m on a player you dont want you just get a guy on half the wages for six months as a temporary stop gap?

A while ago I wanted a specific car but it wasnt available, so I brought a 200 quid run around for three months until the car I wanted was available. i then brought the car I wanted. I didnt fork out 20k on a car I didnt want and suffer depreciation etc.

Same principles. Yet people blame Harry for the high wages yet forget the fact that we have (should have actually) a tonne of money cos Harry didnt just spunk all on second rate players.

Surely it is better to get a loan for six months than get a player you dont want (because the first three or four targets could not be attained)?

In fact its cost saving is it not? Rather than fork out 10m on a player you dont want you just get a guy on half the wages for six months as a temporary stop gap?

A while ago I wanted a specific car but it wasnt available, so I brought a 200 quid run around for three months until the car I wanted was available. i then brought the car I wanted. I didnt fork out 20k on a car I didnt want and suffer depreciation etc.

Same principles. Yet people blame Harry for the high wages yet forget the fact that we have (should have actually) a tonne of money cos Harry didnt just spunk all on second rate players.

Will you car not go over 20 mph some days because it knows its only on loan?

Last edited:
But they usually cost nowt in the first place. And I frankly doubt their wages are any higher than you would expect to pay for the same quality in a younger player.

Where i would concede ground to you is that once he goes the next manager might have a problem. But any successor would be wanting to bring in his own men anyway.

i realize the importance of having experienced players in the team, but at the moment i don't see the focus on young talent that i was seeing several years a go when we had Arnesen/Commoli here

what id like to see is a DoF of sorts coming in to the club to focus on the recruitment of young/youth players (think 21 and under) whilst Redknapp is left to get on with the first team. the DoF wouldn't have any jurisdiction over first team matters and is purely here to sign up young talent to go in to the development team or whatever it is they call the youth team nowadays. this would wipe away a lot of the concern i have over Redknapp as manager and im sure is something most people would get behind ?

We have one of the oldest squads in the league.

Do we?

I am pretty sure it is skewed by three players - Parker, Gallas and Friedel. As we all know they have added real value to our squad.

Nielsen and Saha are ON LOAN.

I don't think the Villa game is a good example to use for any purpose as we were down to 10 men. I think if you want to blame Redknapp for the Villa game you're better off going down the route of why on earth haven't we signed a left back to at compete with Ekotto for the position, if not replace him as first choice. Same with Lennon on the right. By not having a ready made replacement for Lennon, we often had to go to this non-existant Plan B and that is what cost us.

I've been doing some analysis on our bad run of results (I still refuse to say form, because I don't believe we were playing that badly during the run) and for me there were three contributing factors that trump everything else:

1) Lennon gets injured we lose all shape and have to fit square pegs into round holes to accomodate. This completely ruined our attacking shape and made it harder to hit teams on the break, or break them down when they were playing deep.
2) During this period Bale developed a hero complex. Bale roaming around all over the place is fine if Lennon is staying wide and giving us width but when Lennon was out we had no width that side and then Bale would come in too tight and we'd have no width that side either. We effectively started playing a diamond formation which no one has really got to work successfully in the Premiership (cost Ancelotti his job at Chelsea!).
3) For some bizarre reason Redknapp dropped Dawson in favour of Kaboul when Dawson was playing superbly. Then Dawson got injured and defensively from set pieces we fell to bits.

As i said earlier i only used the Villa game as it was the last one in memory. As for your three points i can not really disagree because basicaly they are good ones, however Redknapp is the manager and he was the one that made all those decisions so he must take responability for there failures.

Do we?

I am pretty sure it is skewed by three players - Parker, Gallas and Friedel. As we all know they have added real value to our squad.

neither are on loan as i understand it - Nelsen signed on a free from Blackburn and Saha was released from his contract after the deadline so he could sign for us.

both are on 6 month contracts with an option for a further year - as i recall anyway

neither are on loan as i understand it - Nelsen signed on a free from Blackburn and Saha was released from his contract after the deadline so he could sign for us.

both are on 6 month contracts with an option for a further year - as i recall anyway

That as my understanding as well.

Oh ok well still same thing. I think we may keep Nelsen but only cos the Europa League (which is no bad thing by the way).

If we keep them it will only be because of the Europa League. the reason we did 'well' this season is because we didnt suffer tiredness at the start of the seaosn

Do we?

BAE (28.)
Kaboul (26)
Dawson (28.)
Walker (21)
Bale (22)
Livermore (22)
Sandro (23)
Lennon (25)
Modric (26)
Defoe (29)

Plenty of mileage left