• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Actually think to be fair we have almost managed that already

- Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, VDV, Bale (and to lesser extent Keane) have all moved on in last 10 years, none of whom we wanted to sell, but the club has actually improved in both on and off the field results (yes, some bumps, but points/places are generally equal or better)

Sure. But if we're comparing Pochettino to some of the more successful managers we want to compare him to and look at his arrival at the club as a bit of a new dawn we've not had to deal with that problem yet.

The bumps need to be slightly smaller I think. Losing a key player, failure to the point of the head coach being sacked followed by a transitional season is too much of a negative impact. The way Dortmund and Atletico dealt with it has been more impressive.

That was good. As a pundit I don't find him all that enlightening. As a football man there's no doubting his credentials, especially when listening to the 5 Live thing on Kane.
That's fair enough. I prefer listening to Pleat with his little idiosyncrasies over most of the others. You are right in that it certainly is no tactical masterclass but which pundits are that enlightening really? Neville was OK when he was at it but I can't think of one else.

As an aside - I always thought there was room for a TV program showing in depth football tactics and coaching.

Last edited:
That's fair enough. I prefer listening to Pleat with his little idiosyncrasies over most of the others. You are right in that it certainly is no tactical masterclass but which pundits are that enlightening really? Neville was OK when he was at it but I can't think of one else.

As an aside - I always thought there was room for TV program on in depth football tactics and coaching.

Good point and I agree, not sure if you remember ( or old enough ;)) to remember Andy Gray and boot room. When Gray first came to Sky he was pretty good ( before he and Keys got up their own arses) and as a working coach I found his program to be both factual and interesting.

Good point and I agree, not sure if you remember ( or old enough ;)) to remember Andy Gray and boot room. When Gray first came to Sky he was pretty good ( before he and Keys got up their own arses) and as a working coach I found his program to be both factual and interesting.
Yeah I do remember the show but never watched it. I wasn't too interested in that side of things back when it was showing I guess. Since I started coaching myself my interest has increased significantly and now I watch matches in a completely different way. I should really do my UEFA badges but I never seem to have the time :(.

Yeah I do remember the show but never watched it. I wasn't too interested in that side of things back when it was showing I guess. Since I started coaching myself my interest has increased significantly and now I watch matches in a completely different way. I should really do my UEFA badges but I never seem to have the time :(.

Do it mate ( its worth making the time), I have retired now but I was up to FA Level 3 (UEFA B Part 2) and never got round to doing the A course. It depends how high ( and what you intend to do with your badges) I was happy and wanted to stay in youth development and it was not really needed for me to work in that.

What the UEFA badges did enable me to do was spend time at the academys abroad ( Ajax was without doubt the best one imo), I still keep my eye in and take the refresher courses to enable me to keep up to date but its more for fun now then a living.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the notion that he just knows so much. For example, one of his insights during the Champions League final was that it's better to conceded a goal earlier in the game as it gives you more time to score than if you conceded later in the game.

But his pronunciations are quality.

Knowledge of players, I mean.
I will have to agree with you on the facile nature of the above observation

Do it mate ( its worth making the time), I have retired now but I was up to FA Level 3 (UEFA B Part 2) and never got round to doing the A course. It depends how high ( and what you intend to do with your badges) I was happy and wanted to stay in youth development and it was not really needed for me to work in that.

What the UEFA badges did enable me to do was spend time at the academys abroad ( Ajax was without doubt the best one imo), I still keep my eye in and take the refresher courses to enable me to keep up to date but its more for fun now then a living.
Well done, that is a pretty decent level. Unlike you though I'll never have a professional need for it. It's personal interest or rather the drive to better oneself (not embarrass myself) that would persuade me to take some of the badges. Maybe when the kids are a bit older I might actually have more time.

To echo what you said on Ajax academy, I had the pleasure once of having a long discussion with a great coach (I won't mention who) and he said something very similar. He couldn't praise them highly enough.
I saw one of the Ajax youth teams in action in a tournament my own club was involved in, and they were head and shoulders above every other team there. Their discipline, movement, awareness and technique was so impressive to watch even at that relatively young age.

As an aside - I always thought there was room for a TV program showing in depth football tactics and coaching.

GHod no. The last thing we need is another generation of internet football experts coming through because they've spent 30 minutes a week mis-interpreting what a pro coach is saying. ;)

Well done, that is a pretty decent level. Unlike you though I'll never have a professional need for it. It's personal interest or rather the drive to better oneself (not embarrass myself) that would persuade me to take some of the badges. Maybe when the kids are a bit older I might actually have more time.

To echo what you said on Ajax academy, I had the pleasure once of having a long discussion with a great coach (I won't mention who) and he said something very similar. He couldn't praise them highly enough.
I saw one of the Ajax youth teams in action in a tournament my own club was involved in, and they were head and shoulders above every other team there. Their discipline, movement, awareness and technique was so impressive to watch even at that relatively young age.

Good luck mate and I wish you well, there is nothing as satisfying as seeing young kids/players progress and you see something you have been trying to teach them and that is the main reason I spent/decided to stay with the youth academy rather then go into the men's game.

What your friend said about Ajax is spot on, I was there for two weeks and then followed up at Feynoord for the same and their coaching of kids was miles ahead of what we were doing at the time in England. That was one of the reasons I was able to go out there as the FA wanted to see how other counties were able to turn out far superior youngsters overall then we were. As a aside I was lucky enough to meet Will Coerver while I was there ( although he was well into his 60's then) he was still taking kids out on the field and giving talks and I really enjoyed his input.

I think I better stop there I would hate to be accused of taking this thread of subject. :)

Good luck mate and I wish you well, there is nothing as crack covering as seeing young kids/players progress and you see something you have been trying to teach them and that is the main reason I spent/decided to stay with the youth academy rather then go into the men's game.

What your friend said about Ajax is spot on, I was there for two weeks and then followed up at Feynoord for the same and their coaching of kids was miles ahead of what we were doing at the time in England. That was one of the reasons I was able to go out there as the FA wanted to see how other counties were able to turn out far superior youngsters overall then we were. As a aside I was lucky enough to meet Will Coerver while I was there ( although he was well into his 60's then) he was still taking kids out on the field and giving talks and I really enjoyed his input.

I think I better stop there I would hate to be accused of taking this thread of subject. :)

Personally, I don't mind tangential discussions as long as they're interesting, and not just people bickering over stuff. Fair play to you.

So anyway, how about that Harry Kane? Methinks the boy needs a healthy rest. Under 21 Euros last summer, Premier League season with no winter break and intense up til the final match, league and FA cups, Europa League, and now straight into the Euros before next season.

I'm sort of knackered meself.

So anyway, how about that Harry Kane? Methinks the boy needs a healthy rest. Under 21 Euros last summer, Premier League season with no winter break and intense up til the final match, league and FA cups, Europa League, and now straight into the Euros before next season.

I'm sort of knackered meself.

Well whrn England go out at the group stage he will have enough time to relax.

Surprised no one has posted this yet. A few interesting bits of new info.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...le-appetite-for-self-improvement-makes-him-o/

Harry Kane's insatiable appetite for self-improvement makes him one of Euro 2016's most feared forwards

Matt Law, football news correspondent
5 JUNE 2016 • 6:54PM

Harry Kane keeps his mobile phone within arm’s reach whenever he settles down to watch football on television and with every goal there is another buzz.

“Harry, are you watching?” reads the message and more often than not the striker’s reply will be “Yes”.

“Rewind it and watch it again. Look at the finish, how he found a yard of space, watch the defender’s movement.”

Kane will then give his opinion before a message from another member of the WhatsApp group reads: “Harry, go back a bit further and watch how far he runs to get into position, have a look at his change of pace.”

This is not simple banter between Kane and his friends as they watch a game in their respective homes. It is a messaging circle that includes the Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino, his assistant Jesús Pérez and goalkeeping coach Toni Jiménez, and provides an insight to the work that has gone into the 22-year-old’s incredible two-year transformation.

It is no accident that Kane, England’s No 9, will travel to France on Monday as one of the most feared strikers at Euro 2016. His rise has been about dedication that borders on obsessive, the fitness and coaching methods of Pochettino and his lieutenants and the group approach to finding new and inventive ways of getting better.

When Pochettino gives his players an afternoon off, Kane will regularly contact the rest of Tottenham’s attacking players to organise an hour of extra shooting practice. But the session is not players wildly lashing balls towards an empty net while discussing what they might do later, or filming themselves attempting to pull off outrageous trick shots.

Kane’s shooting practice is strictly set to between 100 and 150 balls in the hour and all shots must be taken from inside the box and replicate genuine shooting positions that come up during games. There will generally be six offensive players – Kane, Christian Eriksen, Érik Lamela, Dele Alli, Nacer Chadli and Heung-Min Son – and three goalkeepers from the academy who jump at the chance to test themselves against a group of full internationals.

Kane will often go to Tottenham’s impressive Enfield training complex on the day after a game and work through what he felt benefited him from the previous Thursday’s training session in the match.

Over the week, Kane will attempt to replicate situations that came up in the last match to learn from what went right and what went wrong, and attempt to make sure he is even better prepared in the next fixture.

Kane’s desire to learn and get better long predates Pochettino. He was never among the best three players in any of his age groups. When his representative, Marlon Fleischman, first watched him at under-17 level, all the other agents were talking about Cameron Lancaster, now playing for Louisville City in America, Paul McBride, who was released by Spurs in 2012, and Calum Butcher, now at Burton Albion.

Fleischman noticed that while other players caught the eye with stepovers and tricks, Kane always scored and always got better. He was constantly asking questions of his coaches and trying to self-teach different techniques.

There were never any complaints about dropping down divisions to go out on loan, even at Millwall – despite the reservations of some of the Tottenham coaches and scouts. Fleischman had taken another of his clients, Andros Townsend, on loan to Millwall the previous year and thought it would be the perfect education for Kane. Before finalising the deal, he even took Kane’s family to watch a match at the Den to make sure everybody was clear what would be facing him.

Millwall supporters are notoriously unforgiving and would not take kindly to a ‘Billy Bigtime’ turning up and thinking he was too good for the club. But they quickly realised that would not be the case with Kane, who had prepared himself for the loan by watching every one of Teddy Sheringham’s 33 League goals for the Lions in the 1990-91 season.

During his final loan spell, Kane spent time on the Leicester City substitutes’ bench, ironically next to his current England team-mate Jamie Vardy. The pair were reminded of the image after both scoring in the comeback victory over Germany in March.

The biggest visible change in Kane over the past two years has been his body composition. Pictures of him before Pochettino’s arrival at White Hart Lane show a tall, slim youngster whose arms did not quite fill out the sleeves of his shirt.

After assessing the Tottenham squad they inherited on their arrival at the club from Southampton, Pochettino and his staff went about devising personal programmes for the players and the watchword in Kane’s case was “power”. They wanted to make Kane into the powerful specimen he is today and through that add an extra couple of yards of pace to give him the ability to explode past a defender’s challenge when it mattered.

Rather than making him hit the weights, Kane was put through a number of different physical conditioning activities – the content of which remains a closely guarded secret as Tottenham do not want rivals stealing their ideas.

The results have certainly been spectacular as Kane is now one of the most physically impressive players in the Premier League and Roy Hodgson’s England squad. Tottenham will not like to see this in black and white, but he looks every inch like a Real Madrid galáctico.

He became the first Englishman in 16 years to win the Premier League’s Golden Boot this season and is the first English player since Alan Shearer in 1997 to score more than 20 League goals in back-to-back seasons.

It is not just his goals and work-rate that Pochettino values. Kane has quickly become one of three dressing-room ‘generals’, along with captain Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen, and gives the speech in the pre-match huddle. Hodgson is also said to have recognised his leadership skills.

Shearer was the last England player to top the scoring charts at a major tournament, when he hit five goals at Euro 96, and it would be no surprise if Kane takes that title this summer, having already claimed the former Blackburn Rovers striker’s one-armed celebration.

The best news for Hodgson may well be that Kane’s WhatsApp group will remain open during the tournament for Pochettino to tap out any nuggets of wisdom from the armchair in Barcelona where he will be watching. There is certainly a buzz about England’s main man.

Good read. Thanks for posting. I have also just finished listening to the Five Live Special mentioned on the previous page - well worth the time. Harry is clearly one extremely driven and self-motivated young man, but seems down to earth as well. We must enjoy having him at the club while we can because inevitably his quest for continual self -improvement will eventually see him want to move on (abroad). Hopefully we get at least a few more seasons from him. And who knows if we can start challenging and winning on a regular basis he might be tempted to stay for a longer period. Wishful thinking?

Without even reading the article it is fairly obvious what a hard worker and perfectionist Harry is. He clearly made himself into the player he is. If we can find more players with the same attitude, we'll be golden.

Yep, good stuff. Strange that Alli is so low.

Author has an agenda, as text says Kane 30%, whereas Wheelchair on 20% ..... wtf ?

Listing says Kane 22% to WC 20%

Back