• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I think the only people panicking are supporters - Levy said things will most likely happen towards the end of the window not so long ago so that would suggest everyone at the club are aware of the situation regarding our targets.

Chill...

I think the only people panicking are supporters - Levy said things will most likely happen towards the end of the window not so long ago so that would suggest everyone at the club are aware of the situation regarding our targets.

Chill...

Correction, some supporters are panicking and most of those are the ones who see nothing but doom and gloom all the time. They must be real miserable sods in real life ;)

Chill...

aha, then i dearly hope Aston Villa take their time to think about whether they want Adebayor and give us their final response on deadline day, theyve already signed 2 strikers this week so they dont really have to sort out anything with Adebayor atm. The same with Villareal in the pursuit of Soldado. There is another 4.8 weeks for them to discuss repayment terms, take your time chaps. No need to rush, no need to panic, everything happens during the last days and hours of the window anyway

chill everyone

Chill...

Yeah, the defence was strengthened and as per Levy's comments, things are 'relaxed'. If we can do deals before the last two weeks of the window, we will do, otherwise, it's likely the activity will be done then, as that is when players become available.

The reasons for this are that clubs reduce their asking prices in the face of having to keep unhappy players with time running out, plus players who were holding out for a bigger/better club agree to join us.

In the meantime, the only way of securing some of these targets early is by paying over the odds, something we can't afford to do, particularly if it's not an emergency. Basically, the club chose to do the early deals on our main weak point from last season: defence. The rest of the business will be talking to clubs, trying to get deals affordable for us, in the knowledge that if the deal isn't affordable now, it probably will be in a week or two's time. No need to panic. We have a good team already.

Yeah, the defence was strengthened and as per Levy's comments, things are 'relaxed'. If we can do deals before the last two weeks of the window, we will do, otherwise, it's likely the activity will be done then, as that is when players become available.

The reasons for this are that clubs reduce their asking prices in the face of having to keep unhappy players with time running out, plus players who were holding out for a bigger/better club agree to join us.

In the meantime, the only way of securing some of these targets early is by paying over the odds, something we can't afford to do, particularly if it's not an emergency. Basically, the club chose to do the early deals on our main weak point from last season: defence. The rest of the business will be talking to clubs, trying to get deals affordable for us, in the knowledge that if the deal isn't affordable now, it probably will be in a week or two's time. No need to panic. We have a good team already.

so, do you think we paid over the odds for Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld?

ok, dont you think clubs are more reluctant to do deals so late because they themselves dont have sufficient time to find replacements? In that case, arent buying clubs forced to actually make bigger offers in order to get clubs to sell, sort of compensate for everything being left to the last minute?

Why don't they just do away with the ****ing window, it's far more trouble than it's worth.

The problem is that it stays open for too long. Lesser problem is the bloated squads most clubs have (sell first/buy later).

Ideally you'd have a convention in June where all the chairmen and DoFs could met up and exchange players and money without all this back and forth and agents getting involved. Whatever happened with FIFA's new system that would eliminate all the middle men?

so, do you think we paid over the odds for Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld?

No, I think we paid what we were willing to pay. I would say that the reason(s) why we have not signed anyone else is because they're either too expensive, too risky, we're waiting to get a definitive answer on someone who we think is better or we're not interested in them.

ok, dont you think clubs are more reluctant to do deals so late because they themselves dont have sufficient time to find replacements? In that case, arent buying clubs forced to actually make bigger offers in order to get clubs to sell, sort of compensate for everything being left to the last minute?

Maybe, but we could also be waiting because they want to sign a replacement first, they don't want to announce a sale to their supporters just yet, or they're playing poker with us and telling us that Chelsea are also interested and willing to pay £2m more.

Levy is right, statistically, most transfers go through in the last two weeks of the window. What tends to happen is chain reactions. We'll be negotiating with a club, but they'll be negotiating for a replacement for the player we want, in case it happens, and so on and so on down the food chain. One move goes through and all the others go through behind it.

In regards to your other point, I don't think we paid over the odds for Alderweireld in terms of HIS value, but what we did was offer more than DOUBLE what Atletico stood to receive from Southampton as part of his loan agreement, so in a sense, we put in an over the top bid to secure the signing. I believe trippier had some kind of release clause, or am I making that up? Not sure on Wimmer, but I think what we paid was a lot for a newly promoted Bundesliga club. I'm pretty sure there are quotes from their president saying they received an offer they couldn't turn down.

Why don't they just do away with the ****ing window, it's far more trouble than it's worth.

Or close it before the start of the season so we can have a fully settled squad before game 1 of the season. It's only one game, but as Indianspur says, it would be nice to have another option if we need a goal. We've seen how a point here and there can cost us a CL place for example so every point is vital.

I would rather we sign players as soon as possible personally, but I accept certain deals take longer to iron out due to posturing from clubs among other things, but it's unacceptable to run out of time due to leaving it too late.

I would rather we sign players as soon as possible personally, but I accept certain deals take longer to iron out due to posturing from clubs among other things, but it's unacceptable to run out of time due to leaving it too late.

I agree with you. I think Levy said as much himself although he didn't mention the last part!

No, I think we paid what we were willing to pay. I would say that the reason(s) why we have not signed anyone else is because they're either too expensive, too risky, we're waiting to get a definitive answer on someone who we think is better or we're not interested in them.
I thought the main reason was Poch has been told we need to sell before we can buy. I'm assuming we need to get Ade and/or Soldado out the door first.

I thought the main reason was Poch has been told we need to sell before we can buy. I'm assuming we need to get Ade and/or Soldado out the door first.

I don't think that is case. I think with all of the people that we have already dispatched, there is space for us to make a couple of more signings. Getting rid of Ade and Soldado may mean that we have more to spend, but my best guess is that Ade has no bearing. And Soldado will only be allowed to leave if we get another in rather than Soldado having to leave in order for us to sign someone.

Correction, some supporters are panicking and most of those are the ones who see nothing but doom and gloom all the time. They must be real miserable sods in real life ;)

Yep, Spurs on social media is becoming almost unbearable .. I used to come on to discuss the club I love with other fans ...

Now .. its doom and gloom, unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, continuous bashing against our own club and management, juvenile jealousy that we aren't outspending everyone else and how dare we lose a game to one of the best teams in world football ...

We start a season with a striker that scored 31 goals the previous season, +2 midfielders that were in double figures, when last did that happen?

I don't think that is case. I think with all of the people that we have already dispatched, there is space for us to make a couple of more signings. Getting rid of Ade and Soldado may mean that we have more to spend, but my best guess is that Ade has no bearing. And Soldado will only be allowed to leave if we get another in rather than Soldado having to leave in order for us to sign someone.
Would have thought getting rid of Ade's gargantuan pay packet might be the first priority. At present we have three strikers on our books, two of them if not all three very expensive in terms of wages. I just cannot see us getting another striker in until at least one of them is out the door, good and proper.

Would have thought getting rid of Ade's gargantuan pay packet might be the first priority. At present we have three strikers on our books, two of them if not all three very expensive in terms of wages. I just cannot see us getting another striker in until at least one of them is out the door, good and proper.

You may be right. I was just thinking that it would have no bearing on the basis that we're not even trying with him, so have probably written that off. Probably wishful thinking, but i am a spurs fan living in hope!

Back