• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

He was for a few years the best finisher in the world, from all angles, half chances, both feet.

I like to remain realistic on Kane and believe his skills mauly be in slight decline, but there was a time he was most definitely lethal
Yeah he was probably the best finisher in world football at one point.
Doesn't seem to score all those shots from outside the box anymore. Been a few years since he did that regularly. Even brilliant headers , for example , two in different games against Arsenal.
Trying to think of reasons why. Maybe less space and time as football continually evolves and players get faster and fitter.
Maybe Harry isn't moving the ball quick enough from under his feet to get shots away and seems to be off balance more these days.
Also seems to be half a yard slower now.
Relying more on poachers goals from set pieces and crosses, getting away from his marker with clever movement than those stunning, longer range finishes that Son seems to score now.

Doesn't seem to score all those shots from outside the box anymore. Been a few years since he did that regularly. Even brilliant headers , for example , two in different games against Arsenal.
Trying to think of reasons why. Maybe less space and time as football continually evolves and players get faster and fitter.
Maybe Harry isn't moving the ball quick enough from under his feet to get shots away and seems to be off balance more these days.
Relying more on poachers goals from set pieces and crosses, getting away from his marker with clever movement than those stunning, longer range finishes that Son seems to score now.

Most definitely a different player, he is also older and slower, but he has adapted to be better in other areas.

Yeah, there was one chance against France where he latched on to a pass just in front of two defenders. The Kane of a few years ago would have used his strength to put the defenders off-balance then powered through on goal and beaten the keeper. On Saturday, the defenders caught him easily, Kane knew it, so the only thing he could really do was keep possession.

But as you say, he's got more strings to his bow these days.

Last edited:
Why would his fit in the team be any different after the World Cup to what it was before?
well southgate has clearly showing that kane plays better in a deeper position, while we mostly have him up front in a three.
the question is if conte can accomodate kane deeper, can others score more goals up front?
the goals kane have scored this season has been rather simple, it is possible that someone else can do a better job. or do you think that kane up front is the best solution for the mighty spurs.
also the jan window is around the corner. perhaps conte will revert to a bettering ram approach like lukaku.
if kane drops deeper what happens in midfield?

just to be clear i don't hate kane, i love tottenham hotspur more and i want us to do better than now especially up front when we can go a whole game with zero or very low shots at goal.

well southgate has clearly showing that kane plays better in a deeper position, while we mostly have him up front in a three.
..........just to be clear i don't hate kane.
Southgate and Conte both play Kane up front in a three.
This is a negative take; is everything all right at home?

the question is if conte can accomodate kane deeper, can others score more goals up front?
the goals kane have scored this season has been rather simple, it is possible that someone else can do a better job. or do you think that kane up front is the best solution for the mighty spurs.
also the jan window is around the corner. perhaps conte will revert to a bettering ram approach like lukaku.

just to be clear i don't hate kane, i love tottenham hotspur more and i want us to do better than now especially up front when we can go a whole game with zero or very low shots at goal.

But Harry routinely drops deep for us too? And he is also scoring goals? He has 12 goals from 15 Prem games?

Last edited:

Kane has been dropping in to midfield for Tottenham for several seasons now

Hopefully Kane does well with a slight break now. Get his head back to the challenges ahead after the penalty miss. Been really good again this season and we need more of the same from him.

Now that he's older, I'd be curious to see Kane playing in front of an attacking midfielder with average playmaking attributes but good finishing skills, a la Marc Wilmots or peak Dele Ali. The other guy could push further up when Kane drops deeper. Unfortunately, it would turn the whole team into a giant jigsaw puzzle as you'd have to make up for the lack of workrate/ball winning of such a duo. You'd need a playmaker who can stay on the wing... hey, wait, that's Pochettino's side!

Now that he's older, I'd be curious to see Kane playing in front of an attacking midfielder with average playmaking attributes but good finishing skills, a la Marc Wilmots or peak Dele Ali. The other guy could push further up when Kane drops deeper. Unfortunately, it would turn the whole team into a giant jigsaw puzzle as you'd have to make up for the lack of workrate/ball winning of such a duo. You'd need a playmaker who can stay on the wing... hey, wait, that's Pochettino's side!

In a way that's also Conte's side, though with a slightly different setup.

Son as the great finisher, running in behind attacking player. Kulusevski as the playmaker that can stay on the wing. Just that instead of another attacker in there like under Pochettino a lot of the other responsibility falls on the wing backs. With good enough wing backs that's a great setup imo.

Work rate and ball winning made up for by two extremely hard working central midfielders and playing a mixed block style skewed towards the lower block end.

Kane has been dropping in to midfield for Tottenham for several seasons now
Not consistently like he does for England - southgate got him where he should be. Not sure why JM and Conte don't seem to keep him there all the time. My guess is that Kane wants to score goals not assist them.

Not consistently like he does for England - southgate got him where he should be. Not sure why JM and Conte don't seem to keep him there all the time. My guess is that Kane wants to score goals not assist them.
Are you sure you watch the games? He is constantly dropping deep for us and starting attacks and has been doing so since JM was here.

I think he's at his best when he does both. Depending on game state, situations, opponents, mixing it up between doing more of one or the other.

He's one of the best finishers in the world. It's good to have him in situations where he can finish chances. He's scored 12 league goals in 15 games for us this season playing like this.

You sure? He spent a whole season under Jose doing it

I just don't know how you have arrived at this opinion because it's probably the complete opposite of what most people would describe of how Kane has played for Spurs the last few years.

He's playing for England how he has consistently played for Tottenham the last 2-3 years and he'll continue playing that role post WC to address your initial query.

Wrt to the midfield, we play a deep central 2, which allows Kane to operate in the role he does - we don't use an advanced CM so there's no overlapping of responsibilities or getting in each others way if that's what your other point was regarding.

Edit : What could happen is that Kane changes role to an out and our AM/no.10 with a CF in front (Richarlson) but then we're talking about a change from how both England & Spurs currently use him.

Last edited:
Back