• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Guglielmo Vicario

Note that the Goons are playing at City.
They kept a load of players beyond the back post, who all rushed in and caused chaos whilst the corner to the back post was headed over by Gabriel.
Minutes later it happened again, but this time Gabriel scored.
Meanwhile Ederson was blatantly blocked off by those rushing in, and fell to the floor crying blue murder.

So it is not only Spurs who are done like that.
It's a really good corner tactic/system, because defenders hate players arriving from behind them at corners and cannot deal with a train of 5 players arriving to 3 defenders.
And the keeper naturally gets blocked as he turns to deal with 5 guys running at him.
Every other team in the league should be deploying that very same tactic at corners.

Arsenal use three players to run in as the corner is coming across, one goes in front of the keeper, one right on him and the other behind him. Their only intention is the block the keeper's access to the six yard area. The ball is always delivered into the six yard area - typically 4 or 5 yards out and their big defenders attack the ball with a decent run up. It is really, really hard to defend.

One defensive tactic might be to have nobody on the defensive team on the goal line, just the keeper, the others line up 4 of 5 yards out and their job is to hold their line, never drop back in and try to win the defensive header or even just block Arsenal's centre backs getting to the ball swung into the 6 yard area. Then, should Arsenal's centre back still win the ball and get a header on target, the 3 players crowding the keeper will result in an offside decision being given for the header on goal as they will all be offside and interfering with the keeper.

Another tactic might be for the keeper himself to be on the move more as the corner taker is running in to deliver the corner. That would make it much harder for Arsenal to have three players converge on the keeper and block him off (a moving target is far harder to block than a static one). Additionally if the keeper is on the move and gets blocked off, he can go down and it would be far more likely to result in a free kick being given compared to when a keeper standing still has his path obstructed by the opponent and falls over as a result.

I'll be interested to see what Brentford do when they face Arsenal. Whatever it is will likely be a very well thought out counter. Last season when Arsenal got their players on the keeper earlier Brentford deployed a blocker for each player attempting to do it. Arsenal started with just Ben White and Brentford had a player to stop him from getting to the keeper. Every time Arsenal added a player to obstruct the keeper, Brentford added a player to move them out of that area. Arsenal have adapted their tactic this year to have the players arriving quite late to obstruct the keeper, I bet Brentford will have a way of countering that.

Last edited:
Every other team in the league should be deploying that very same tactic at corners.

Arsenal use three players to run in as the corner is coming across, one goes in front of the keeper, one right on him and the other behind him. Their only intention is the block the keeper's access to the six yard area. The ball is always delivered into the six yard area - typically 4 or 5 yards out and their big defenders attack the ball with a decent run up. It is really, really hard to defend.

One defensive tactic might be to have nobody on the defensive team on the goal line, just the keeper, the others line up 4 of 5 yards out and their job is to hold their line, never drop back in and try to win the defensive header or even just block Arsenal's centre backs getting to the ball swung into the 6 yard area. Then, should Arsenal's centre back still win the ball and get a header on target, the 3 players crowding the keeper will result in an offside decision being given for the header on goal as they will all be offside and interfering with the keeper.

Another tactic might be for the keeper himself to be on the move more as the corner taker is running in to deliver the corner. That would make it much harder for Arsenal to have three players converge on the keeper and block him off (a moving target is far harder to block than a static one). Additionally if the keeper is on the move and gets blocked off, he can go down and it would be far more likely to result in a free kick being given compared to when a keeper standing still has his path obstructed by the opponent and falls over as a result.

I'll be interested to see what Brentford do when they face Arsenal. Whatever it is will likely be a very well thought out counter. Last season when Arsenal got their players on the keeper earlier Brentford deployed a blocker for each player attempting to do it. Arsenal started with just Ben White and Brentford had a player to stop him from getting to the keeper. Every time Arsenal added a player to obstruct the keeper, Brentford added a player to move them out of that area. Arsenal have adapted their tactic this year to have the players arriving quite late to obstruct the keeper, I bet Brentford will have a way of countering that.
Brentford’s coach went to Chelsea

I don't think he is as bad as people make out on here anyway...

He's a very good keeper, I'd love to know who these "no mistake" keepers everyone sees in other teams, because I've seen the "best" keepers in the PL fudge up a few times a season with some regularity.

The players jaming the GK is a new thing, created by City (it's the only fudging reason it was allowed to continue, hilarious that it was done back to them by the scum, it will be outlawed at some point. You can't have 2-3 players in a set piece that are not playing the ball but specifically making runs to impede the GK).

It was clear yesterday that he's been working on coming to collect more, that is a good thing, even if it means the occasional fudge up, it takes a lot of pressure off the defense.

It was also clear yesterday that he is capable of elite level shot stopping, as he does. Not sure the tv always shows but I've been to enough live games where the entire stadium reaction is "how the fudge did he save that"

Wow, I super massively disagree with this, Lloris was a chinless wonder who shrank back when the going got tough. He regularly flapped and flailed and fell back into his goal with a whimper.
A great shot stopper, but doesn't fit the description you give.

Each to their own. Remember I was talking about prime Hugo, not the guy we had the last 3-4 seasons because our club was inept in the transfer market. I remember when Hugo first joined. He was a top 5 keeper in the world according to most fans and we spent season after season worried he'd got to RM or Barca.

We were in danger of letting Toby lose his legendary status because we couldn't replace him as well. Toby was also awful at the end.

Dembele was the smart one. He left at the right time. Vertonghen just about got away with it.

Each to their own. Remember I was talking about prime Hugo, not the guy we had the last 3-4 seasons because our club was inept in the transfer market. I remember when Hugo first joined. He was a top 5 keeper in the world according to most fans and we spent season after season worried he'd got to RM or Barca.

We were in danger of letting Toby lose his legendary status because we couldn't replace him as well. Toby was also awful at the end.

Dembele was the smart one. He left at the right time. Vertonghen just about got away with it.
He was
No arguments
But he was what’s poor on corners. Him and De Gea were always stuck to their line and did everything else well which is why they were that good.

Yeah, I would say Neuer was the best of that generation. Not any flaws in his game.
Neur was a nutter but when he came for the ball … it was his
I went to see Bayern play Hamburg and he won a tackle on the half way line
They then took a quick throw as he was running back and the guy getting the ball got cleaned out

Back