• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I'm sure I read somewhere that after the new stadium interview with Levy, he was quoted saying that we probably wouldn't do anymore business until the last 2 weeks of the window.

Seems there was some truth about it.
That's not right. He said it would be a busy summer, but things usually does not happen until the last weeks, but we would try to get deals done early if possible.

I work with a lad from West Brom and he reckons no sales will be made until the sale of the club is completed.

Well it looks like that hurdle is out the way, for now.

Pearson has backed away from the Chinese foot draggers and called off any sales talk for a period of stability.

SB will be ours by next friday. (thats IDK btw;))

That's not right. He said it would be a busy summer, but things usually does not happen until the last weeks, but we would try to get deals done early if possible.

When Levy actively has to come out and say this, you know we are going to be waiting until the last 2 days, if not the last 2 hours of the window.

And we will not be the only team doing that, same as every other window.

Exactly.

Btw that wasn't a criticism of Levy. If anything it is a compliment. If you don't want the club to be held to ransom as standard, it is impossible to conduct some business before the last few days of the window.

And even if we were happy to pay over the odds, often the transfer carousel needs to work its magic before the right player becomes available, or there is space for him in our squad.

It just baffles me that anyone thinks with Levy at the helm we are going to have all of our business wrapped up by the time the first Premiership ball is kicked in August.

Exactly.

Btw that wasn't a criticism of Levy. If anything it is a compliment. If you don't want the club to be held to ransom as standard, it is impossible to conduct some business before the last few days of the window.

And even if we were happy to pay over the odds, often the transfer carousel needs to work its magic before the right player becomes available, or there is space for him in our squad.

It just baffles me that anyone thinks with Levy at the helm we are going to have all of our business wrapped up by the time the first Premiership ball is kicked in August.

I agree.

Exactly.

I think a lot of what you've said there is key and particularly when you consider Levy's quotes and what we've done already this season. It's also got to be considered that there's been a lot of talk about learning from past mistakes, particularly the window involving the Bale money.

Levy said we've already brought in four players since the last transfer window (this obviously includes Alli who technically was purchased in January, but finished the season on loan at MK) and that the club was relaxed. Therefore while they were looking to do the rest of the business early if possible, it was more likely to be done in the last two weeks of the season.

So let's analyse this a bit more. Why are the club so relaxed after the four players that have been brought in?

Well our weakest area last season was the defence. We scored more than anyone outside the top 4, but conceded more than anyone outside the bottom 4. Doesn't take a genius to figure that Pochettino probably impressed on Levy that changes to the defence were key. It is also supposed to be the case that Poch wanted a team that functioned better for his style of play, while also wanting a 'leaner, younger squad'.

So we've managed to bring in two first-choice defenders, a younger, fitter right-back with a better fitness record and more end-product in terms of crosses, which is how Poch likes his teams to operate. Secondly, we have a more experienced and ready-made partner for Vertonghen in his international team-mate. We have also replaced an aging, unreliable and disruptive Kaboul with a younger player in Wimmer. We have Dier, who is versatile and can cover all along the back and defensive midfield. He's our Jones.

So the defence, the primary concern from last season, is looking younger, fitter and more solid than last season. It has effectively been addressed.

That obviously is going to lead us onto the next issue, in strengthening the midfield. We've obviously signed Alli for the future, but if you believe the 'ITK' and snippets, apparently Alli has surprised everyone with just how good he has looked in training. It was also said that the younger players like Winks, Onomah and co would get a chance to impress in training/pre-season before assessing them for loans. Well at the back end of last season, I thought Carroll and Winks impressed on the post-season tour. Winks in particular surprised many including myself with how much he stood out in terms of the quality he had alongside the first-team players.

It's obvious if you factor in the above, that while midfield reinforcements are being looked at, there is less of a desperate need for them, and we are now more willing to wait for the right player at the right price.

Similarly, we have Kane obviously, apparently Poch actually quite likes Soldado and is happy for him to stay. I note Coulthirst has been playing regularly in pre-season and was touted as a great prospect at one point, before going a bit quiet on his loan moves. Very similar to Kane actually. I wonder if he has impressed Pochettino? I'm sure again we're looking at forward cover, but I think again the pressing need for it isn't there.

After all, despite what some on Spurs forums think, we're going into the season right now if no changes are made, with the 5th best team in the country with its weakest area from last season strengthened by 3 signings and the midfield and forward areas bolstered by returning loan players and players stepping up from the academy. So I can see why Levy and Poch are relaxed and prepared to wait.

We may complain about us leaving transfer until last minute but how exciting is transfer deadline day when we are involved? The last couple of deadline days have been brick and I know most on here were disappointed we didn't do a Tottenham on deadline day.

Back