• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

We are fans so we make predictions about a signing becoming an excellent player and we can afford to get it wrong. But if your are the Director of Football is a different matter altogether. Methinks Baldini has some questions to answer. How come we have spunked £25m on Soldado and Emirates Marketing Project with all their wealth spend just £16m on Negrado and sign a beast up front? Heck he already has 19 goals this season and not a penalty in sight

Of the 7 summer signings I would suggest only 2 players have attained a passmark so far, Eriksen and Vlad

You cannot compare players as crassly as that. What about the higher salary that City pay their players? And the higher level of competition they can offer?
I don't think Negredo was ever an option for us and so the fee is irrelevant. We could have offered £20m but if he knew City were after him he'd probably say no and then it doesn't matter, the bid is irrelevant.

And I'd also imagine of City had signed Soldado he'd be doing a lot better than at Spurs etc

However, I do wonder if we were splashing the cash too carelessly. And in terms of value I agree that Vlad is looking a good purchase. Erikson looks the next promising but along with Paulinho and Chadli I don't think he has yet proven he is a significant improvement of any of the 2012/13 squad.

Baldini was likely given the remit of buying players to meet the system. The fact that they haven't intergrated isn't his problem unless the case is that the players aren't good enough. Definately too many signings at once and definately a bedding in problem in 1 case, but I still think that the players themselves and AVB should come in for some criticism for not performing.

FROM THE GUARDIAN:

So much for the DoF bringing stability in terms of players! If this happens more 'joke club' comments will surely come our way.

Tottenham Hotspur will listen to offers this month for Etienne Capoue, who has fallen from favour under the new manager, Tim Sherwood.

The France international, who joined from Toulouse for a fee rising to £11m last August, has said that he loves the passion of the English game. But it has been made clear to him that he is at the bottom of Sherwood's midfield pecking order and he may benefit from regular football elsewhere, particularly as he looks to force his way into France's World Cup squad.

Sherwood did start Capoue in midfield alongside Mousa Dembélé at Manchester United on New Year's Day, in Tottenham's 2-1 Premier League win, but the manager has tended to prefer the France youth international Nabil Bentaleb, whom he knows from his previous role as the club's academy co-ordinator. Capoue is aware that Sherwood's options in midfield will swell further when Sandro, Paulinho and Gylfi Sigurdsson return from injury and that the manager would play any of them ahead of him.

Capoue looked imposing at the beginning of the season and it was notable that André Villas-Boas, the then manager, started him ahead of Sandro against Swansea City and Arsenal. He suffered an ankle injury at the Emirates that ruled him out for two months but Villas-Boas reintegrated him, before his fortunes turned again following Sherwood's appointment and Bentaleb's elevation.

Lewis Holtby, who has also struggled for playing time under Sherwood, although he has been hampered by a minor injury, has emerged as a target for his former club, Schalke. But while Tottenham would not block the midfielder's permanent sale, they would demand a fee considerably in excess of the bargain £1.5m they paid to Schalke in January of last year. The Bundesliga club would prefer a loan deal.

Nacer Chadli's agent, meanwhile, says that his client wants to leave Tottenham in order to protect his World Cup ambitions with Belgium. Chadli, like Capoue, was signed in the summer and has failed to hold down a starting place. His agent, Daniel Evrard, said: "The World Cup is arriving so it's a problem."

On the subject of Comolli though, only one of his signings has turned out to be useful for Liverpool (Henderson), the rest are either elsewhere or not getting games.

On the subject of Comolli though, only one of his signings has turned out to be useful for Liverpool (Henderson), the rest are either elsewhere or not getting games.

Jose Enrique's provided great value for money, and the Suarez signing is to them what Comolli's Bale deal was to us in terms of his delayed but eventually magnificent impact. I would also argue that getting Bellamy in on a free was very good business given the short-term impact he had when he was used.

Enrique, Henderson, Suarez and Bellamy were all good signings. It's the Carroll, Downing, Adam and Coates deals that killed his Liverpool career, and even there some doubt still lingers over how many of those he wanted and how many of those were forced acquisitions demanded by Dalglish.

No, given their current form, I don't think he did much wrong during his time at Liverpool Football Club. Baldini, on the other hand....what a mess of a first transfer window. His record signing doesn't play, and his 26-million-pound solution up front is misfiring horrifically. The manager that brought him in was sacked halfway through a rather unedifying campaign, and the replacement for said manager doesn't want to play Capoue or Chadli much, leading to both of them wanting to leave after just a few months at the club. Chiriches has been good, but not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. And Paulinho's been very up-and-down during his short spell here.

Out of all of them, the only one I would classify as an undoubted success so far has been Eriksen, and that's only based on the last few games. Patience remains key, and Baldini's eye for talent is indisputable given his track record. But one more window like the last one and he's out, superbly coiffed mane be damned.

Baldini comes in, our best player leaves along with half of the squad, our manager struggles to impose his style of play and is sacked, the new man (a favorite of the chairman) ignores his signings in favour of promoting members of the youth team, and the chairman himself is reluctant to loosen his control over the money, the transfer policy and the managerial appointment system, leading to a seeming lack of coordination pervading the entire operation.

And it's only been, what, six months? Welcome to Spurs, Franco. :D

Baldini only joined this summer. Most of our targets would already have been identified. Baldini's job will mostly have involved negotiations so far and only now will he have had a chance to work on any long term plans. We're already well underway with improving our academy and his task will simply be to improve our scouting network and be involved in any recruitment processes, be it players or coaches.

I was about to post something similar to Jordinho, Baldini arrived late, I doubt he had much to do with most of the summer signings

Baldini only joined this summer. Most of our targets would already have been identified. Baldini's job will mostly have involved negotiations so far and only now will he have had a chance to work on any long term plans. We're already well underway with improving our academy and his task will simply be to improve our scouting network and be involved in any recruitment processes, be it players or coaches.

According to Steff, Bale only started agitating for a move well after the summer was already underway (i.e, after Baldini arrived), and we would probably only have realised the scale of Madrid's intent when we indicated 85 million quid would be necessary and they didn't so much as blink. Ergo, all the seemingly hurried signings that came after that were probably Baldini's: Lamela, Chadli, Eriksen, Chiriches, Capoue. I can concede that Paulinho probably wasn't Baldini's signing, and perhaps Soldado wasn't, but the rest probably were.

Baldini, on the other hand....what a mess of a first transfer window. His record signing doesn't play, and his 26-million-pound solution up front is misfiring horrifically. The manager that brought him in was sacked halfway through a rather unedifying campaign, and the replacement for said manager doesn't want to play Capoue or Chadli much, leading to both of them wanting to leave after just a few months at the club. Chiriches has been good, but not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. And Paulinho's been very up-and-down during his short spell here.

Out of all of them, the only one I would classify as an undoubted success so far has been Eriksen, and that's only based on the last few games. Patience remains key, and Baldini's eye for talent is indisputable given his track record. But one more window like the last one and he's out, superbly coiffed mane be damned.

Baldini comes in, our best player leaves along with half of the squad, our manager struggles to impose his style of play and is sacked, the new man (a favorite of the chairman) ignores his signings in favour of promoting members of the youth team, and the chairman himself is reluctant to loosen his control over the money, the transfer policy and the managerial appointment system, leading to a seeming lack of coordination pervading the entire operation.

And it's only been, what, six months? Welcome to Spurs, Franco. :D

Tbh though, I think at this point in time we've got the best squad we've had in the modern age. We've got two strong senior players in every position (except LB), almost no deadwood, and are fully capable of challenging on four fronts (even with our horrendous injury problems - overhauling the medical department has got to be Baldini's next big assignment). We don't rely on 1-3 outstanding individuals any more, we are strong across the board.

If I was LVG or FDB, I'd have a huge hard-on for working with this squad. Add a decent LB and LF and it's a squad that could easily give Chelsea and Arsenal a run for 2nd (City are still a way ahead I think).

I just hope Timmeh isn't allowed to do too much damage (re Holtby, Capoue, Chadli and Lamela) in the interim.

Eriksen was apparently someone Sherwood wanted. Not sure if it was just ITK, but he certainly seems to be part of his plans. Chadli joined in July, I think he was possibly meant as backup for Bale and it was a good deal.

The ones that I think Baldini will have suggested are Chiriches and Lamela, but others would have had to agree. AVB did mention that we were looking at some other Romanians.

Tbh though, I think at this point in time we've got the best squad we've had in the modern age. We've got two strong senior players in every position (except LB), almost no deadwood, and are fully capable of challenging on four fronts (even with our horrendous injury problems - overhauling the medical department has got to be Baldini's next big assignment). We don't rely on 1-3 outstanding individuals any more, we are strong across the board.

If I was LVG or FDB, I'd have a huge hard-on for working with this squad. Add a decent LB and LF and it's a squad that could easily give Chelsea and Arsenal a run for 2nd (City are still a way ahead I think).

I just hope Timmeh isn't allowed to do too much damage (re Holtby, Capoue, Chadli and Lamela) in the interim.

The damage was done by our previous manager...hopefully Sherwood can save him.

The damage was done by our previous manager...hopefully Sherwood can save him.

Jason Burt was saying quite early on that Baldini and AVB had agreed that Lamela would take at least six months to settle and were going to ease him in very gently.

Jason Burt was saying quite early on that Baldini and AVB had agreed that Lamela would take at least six months to settle and were going to ease him in very gently.

Tbh GB i don't care much what Jason Burt says.

When a manager leaves player on the sidelines for a sustained period, then gives him a game in a europa match where he performs well, then drops him in a home league game a few days later, then not seen again for a while, then starts him away in a league game against the best team in the league in a position that is alien to him, then out of the team again. Well there's something very weird going on, or simply the previous manager didn't rate him, which is his prerogative.

Hopefully he will blossom under Sherwood.

Tbh GB i don't care much what Jason Burt says.

When a manager leaves player on the sidelines for a sustained period, then gives him a game in a europa match where he performs well, then drops him in a home league game a few days later, then not seen again for a while, then starts him away in a league game against the best team in the league in a position that is alien to him, then out of the team again. Well there's something very weird going on, or simply the previous manager didn't rate him, which is his prerogative.

Hopefully he will blossom under Sherwood.

In retrospect it looks a weird decision for sure. But you're completely guessing at what AVB's thoughts on Lamela are here. His way of introducing him into english football was obviously very different to yours and probably mine. But that doesn't mean it was as sinister as you suggest. Perhaps AVB felt it was the perfect occasion for him to show just how good he is.

In retrospect it looks a weird decision for sure. But you're completely guessing at what AVB's thoughts on Lamela are here. His way of introducing him into english football was obviously very different to yours and probably mine. But that doesn't mean it was as sinister as you suggest. Perhaps AVB felt it was the perfect occasion for him to show just how good he is.

That City game was very sinister imho.

Lamela firts start on the left, Adebayor who apparently didn't have a future and was surplus to requirements gets a game..and then isn't seen again. Kaboul and Dawson partnership against Aguero and Negredo? (wasn't it Kaboul's first league start since returning from injury).

That was a 'throw away game' from AVB imo designed to prove something to the board. Something agitated him imo to make him do that (and being that it was a big team away from home he probably thought nobody would blink an eyelid if we lost and he would be able to get his point across). Very suspicious.

That City game was very sinister imho.

Lamela firts start on the left, Adebayor who apparently didn't have a future and was surplus to requirements gets a game..and then isn't seen again. Kaboul and Dawson partnership against Aguero and Negredo? (wasn't it Kaboul's first league start since returning from injury).

That was a 'throw away game' from AVB imo designed to prove something to the board. Something agitated him imo to make him do that (and being that it was a big team away from home he probably thought nobody would blink an eyelid if we lost and he would be able to get his point across). Very suspicious.

You say that yet I remember just how happy everyone was when the team was announced. I don't think it was sinister at all. I think he should have played him v Saudi Sportswashing Machine for sure. But maybe he realised he made a mistake. If it was sinister and designed to prove a point, it massively backfired because it was one of the main results that cost him his job.

You say that yet I remember just how happy everyone was when the team was announced. I don't think it was sinister at all. I think he should have played him v Saudi Sportswashing Machine for sure. But maybe he realised he made a mistake. If it was sinister and designed to prove a point, it massively backfired because it was one of the main results that cost him his job.

Link me to the thread please..

Back