• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Money. The reason this transfer window is potentially the best for a while is because we've finally spent some money. AND we've done it before the season even starts.

Anyone who claims that this IS the best transfer window is jumping the gun. Transfer windows are not judged at the time, but a year or two down the line. Out of all our signings Soldado is the one to be excited about as he is proven in a major league, but due to his age we need to be making the most of him now. All of the others, including Paulinho, are risks. A lot of high profile big money signings flop (not just at Spurs) and dare I say that players that don't live up their billing exceed those that do. If all of our signings come off this year it will be simply amazing, but highly unlikely. Just look at last season. Lloris is superb, Vertonghen looks good but defensively he isn't brilliant, Holtby underwhelmed, Dempsey has already gone, Sigurdsson disappointed and despite some love for him on this forum I just don't get the fuss about Dembele and expect him to lose regular first team status over the next couple of seasons. Bar Bale our best player last year ended up being Dawson, who didn't (still doesn't probably, just that we are having to make do) feature in the "project" plan anyway and has been at the club for years. Out of all of the signings for last season Lloris is the one who was inspired and I expect the others to fade away pretty quickly. I expect a similar thing will happen after this window. One will be great, the others will fade away.

My other fear is that if we lose Bale, this is all too little too late. People crow about our points total last year, but last year wasn't good enough because comparative to our peers we dropped from 4th to 5th and it's the league position that dictates how good you are, not a points total. A good transfer window last season would have seen us get 4th again.

Looking at the state of the lower and mid-table teams this year I wouldn't be shocked if the 6th place team this season gets more points than we did last season. There's a real gap opening up in the Premiership between the top six/seven clubs. The rest are all relegation fodder. For all our wheeling and dealing if we fail to get top four this season then this transfer window cannot be regarded as a successful one.

Lastly it is sad that the English heart of the club is being ripped out. Foreign fans (or even English fans with few family connections to London) won't give a fudge but, no disrespect to them, they don't truly understand the meaning of being a Spurs fan. Growing up watching true local hero's playing for the club. Speaking to people who played with them at school, or who knows their parents etc. A few years ago every Spurs fan I spoke with was disgusted at Arsenal's lack of English core and that was one of the reasons that no matter how successful Arsenal were it meant fudge all because they weren't even an English club anymore. Now we're the same. I don't expect Dawson to last much longer, sadly none of the youngsters I can see making it. Walker will be flying the lone English flag in a couple of seasons with kids making up the necessary legal quota of other English players. The days we start consistently fielding XI foreigners in successive games is the day I stop following my beloved Spurs and football in general.

I know that after Chelsea AVB has little regard for English players, and probably wants to get them out of our club ASAP, but I do hope we win something that I can enjoy before he gets his way. An FA Cup win this season would be perfect, especially if our team had at least three English players (which in itself is so pathetic) in it when we did it.

I'm a foreign fan (being based in Canada and all), but one of my dearest hopes is that one day Spurs can field a starting eleven comprised entirely of local lads without a discernible dip in the quality of our performances vis a vis a standard Spurs side today. The problem however, is the way clubs are structured and the way the cut-throat nature of the PL prioritises short-term success over long-term health. I ranted a bit about it in the 'mass boycott' thread, but the only way to get a consistent core of English players in the league is to bring down the wages, prices and stigma against fan ownership in the PL.

When we adopt the German model (and most importantly, give it time and patience) is when we'll see local lads start getting chances in their sides again. And I sincerely hope that happens soon.

And as an addendum, the reason I want local players in the side is because they are more likely to be fans of the club, and thus their commitment on the field and their appreciation of the chance they've been given off it will make them more relatable to the regular supporter. Knowing our players are Spurs supporters like you or me would give me an incredibly happy feeling, and would lessen my discomfort when players leave the club. However, you are probably right in that I couldn't really care less about whether people talked to their friends in school and stuff like that. :)

Of course not, but your very first reason for not being convinced is you didn't see any 'discounts' on Soldado etc, Levy is the negotiator. Then your next reason to question him is a couple of Roma players we haven't signed...how do you even know we're in for them, how do you know they're even available? Seems like you're really scraping the barrel looking for reasons not to appreciate the work he's doing. Or is it just a coincidence he's come in and we are doing our deals a lot quicker, and the calibre of player is very good quality? I think not....

thats what you see - my point is that really its been an "easy" window having the money to pay full value for players and selling players with value. do you not realise that we have spent a lot of money this year that wasn't afforded in previous windows? certainly having this much to throw would have redknap snare some good players too. e.g surarez was over our budget, but we managed to get berbs (2nd highest scorer in bundesliga) and modric (already tracked by man u) for the princely sum of a "Bentley".

thats what you see - my point is that really its been an "easy" window having the money to pay full value for players and selling players with value. do you not realise that we have spent a lot of money this year that wasn't afforded in previous windows? certainly having this much to throw would have redknap snare some good players too. e.g surarez was over our budget, but we managed to get berbs (2nd highest scorer in bundesliga) and modric (already tracked by man u) for the princely sum of a "Bentley".

no, Redknapp turned him down !!

also we have paid full value for a couple of players, but the hard job is still to convince top players to join, especially as we lack CL football. That is where someone like Baldini is valuable because he is said to be very persuasive in transfer talks.

also we have paid full value for a couple of players, but the hard job is still to convince top players to join, especially as we lack CL football. That is where someone like Baldini is valuable because he is said to be very persuasive in transfer talks.

Was exactly my point. It's tough attracting top calibre players to accept lower wages. Baldini also has a record of recruiting unknowns who go onto become names in Europe,give it time you will see.....

liverpool paid £22.8 million for suarez. unheard of until this year. more likely redknapp turned him down because we could not afford him then.

liverpool paid £22.8 million for suarez. unheard of until this year. more likely redknapp turned him down because we could not afford him then.

Has Redknapp ever turned down a player because the club couldn't afford him?

For better or worse he leaves the money stuff up to other people it seems...

Was exactly my point. It's tough attracting top calibre players to accept lower wages. Baldini also has a record of recruiting unknowns who go onto become names in Europe,give it time you will see.....

not disputing your point, but you have to agree its alot easier when you're paying up to full price of the asking club.
VDV was a player whom accepted lower wages to play for us, but it was Real that lowered the asking price to what we could pay.

we were after Remy from Marseille at 17 mill, Hazard at Lille for 30 mill.....Levy has never been afraid to spend big money as long as the manager is 100% he wants the player. I always got the impression that it was Redknapp dithering over potential targets. If i was a chairman in those circumstances id be wary of handing over that kind of cash too

Has Redknapp ever turned down a player because the club couldn't afford him?

For better or worse he leaves the money stuff up to other people it seems...

you're not following the debate... its not about redknapp, its about how well baldini is doing in this transfer window. no doubt he is bringing in the players, but we never ever splurged like this before, so we can't use history as a comparison.

In this day and age a Baldini is key to getting deals done in football.

Other than your obvious, each club needs a face and point of contact for transfers, someone who at any point is empowered to deal on the clubs behalf. Levy as the chairman would never be around 24/7 to complete the deals we have done this summer, its the nature of his job that he could not be around, nor will a manager ever have the power to sign his own players for the 26-30m needed.

This is one man, almost a Mr Tottenham who is the global liaison for the club

you're not following the debate... its not about redknapp, its about how well baldini is doing in this transfer window. no doubt he is bringing in the players, but we never ever splurged like this before, so we can't use history as a comparison.

I'm just saying that if the Suarez to us deal broke down or wasn't completed because we couldn't afford him then I don't think it was Redknapp's decision.

Certainly Redknapp was never the one to make the call if we as a club could afford a player or not. Maybe he thought that the money could be better spent elsewhere and wasn't good value.

If this is accurate then I want Levy out and out immediately. Fortunately, I don't think it is.

He took pride in the fact Fraizer Campbell arrived on loan as part of the Dimitar Berbatov switch to Manchester United

WTF?!?

i think that bit needs context and perspective to be fair;

we had a sulky little taco that was refusing to play and seemingly no other striker was prepared to come to us

Berba was a dingdong, as were Man U, and made that transfer very difficult.

Campbell had a decent rep at the time - "could have been" the next Welbeck. So to get something out of the deal would have been decent business, even if the signing was quite underwhelming.

Campbell did have a good rep/. I would compare his signing to say Postiga or Zamora - both of whom has the rep and potential to be very good for us at the that time.

Clearly it didn't work out (for any of those 3!), but we cold have been left just a space in the squad where a sulky Bulgarian once stood

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ttenhams-slick-transfer-campaign-8774983.html

Amid persisting whispers of Paris Saint-Germain attempting to pry Andre Villas-Boas from the White Hart Lane dugout to the sidelines of the Parc des Princes late last June, the anticipated appointment of Franco Baldini as Tottenham Hotspur’s technical director being made official flew somewhat under the radar. Two months on, the Italian’s efforts are evident for all to see now that the new Premier League season is getting underway.

Real Madrid’s heavily debated pursuit of Gareth Bale has dominated any coverage of Spurs over the summer. Club chairman Daniel Levy has maintained his traditional hardline stance in transfer negotiations as Madrid president Florentino Pérez has flirted with the Welsh wizard. Baldini, meanwhile, has quietly gone about reinvesting any potential influx of funds with several tidy signings.

The former Roma general manager’s principal objective was to secure a prolific striker’s signature. Bringing in the Valencia’s ruthless finisher Roberto Soldado for £26m has successfully filled that void. Additionally, acquiring the services of underrated midfielders Paulinho and Étienne Capoue from Corinthians and Toulouse respectively could yet be the defining factor in ultimately guarantying Champions League action next term. Former Twente winger Nacer Chadli is set to be a surprise package of pace and tricks.

Despite breaking the club transfer record initially with the £17m-man Paulinho – who was being chased by Internazionale, Real Madrid and Chelsea – and subsequently for Soldado, Baldini has been immensely effective in signing players with international pedigree on a modest budget. Paulinho was an architect in Brazil’s Confederations Cup triumph and Soldado has been Spain’s prime striker of late. Capoue and Chadli will not be guaranteed starters, but add a respectable depth in Villas Boas’ squad.

English football has never truly embraced the ‘continental approach’ of an established director to oversee business in the transfer market. However, Spurs and Emirates Marketing Project are the division’s influential outfits pioneering the European approach. The pair have arguably had the most impressive transfer campaigns in the entire league - in stark contrast to their respective city rivals Arsenal and Manchester United, both of whom have struggled to finalise several deals for players they have targeted.

Levy announced the England assistant manager during Fabio Capello’s reign will “work closely with Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood [head of football development in the youth sector] in the area of recruitment across all levels on the playing side” in his new role. Levy is an open advocate of the arrangement as it permits the manager to focus on coaching, while the Portuguese tactician has championed for a director in such a capacity since his arrival last year.

Tottenham have not purposely employed a director in such as position for several years as it was abolished during Harry Redknapp’s four-year stint as manager. Former Liverpool director of football strategy Damien Comolli was the last person to fulfill the function – replacing Frank Arnesen in 2005.

Early signs indicate Baldini is living up to his billing. He has a storied history as a director establishing his reputation at Roma during a six-year spell from 1999 to 2005 – under his command the capital club won its first title in18 years in 2001. In 2006, the wily operator tailed Capello for a season at Santiago Bernabéu. His last job before upping sticks from London was as the Giallorossi’s general manager from 2011. Alongside director of sport Walter Sabatini, the one-time midfielder marshaled the team through its first two years under American ownership.

Sabatini has been spotted around London this week, and the Italian media speculate that Baldini is trying to orchestrate moves for either lightening-quick winger Erik Lamela or stylish playmaker Miralem Pjanić - or both. Either would greatly improve Spurs with their talents, and above all top off an excellent transfer campaign.

Tottenham have avoided the negative press several of their closets rivals have endured for their dragged-out transfer sagas, and can start the 2013-14 season in a frankly positive light regardless of what Bale’s imminent future holds.

In this day and age a Baldini is key to getting deals done in football.

Other than your obvious, each club needs a face and point of contact for transfers, someone who at any point is empowered to deal on the clubs behalf. Levy as the chairman would never be around 24/7 to complete the deals we have done this summer, its the nature of his job that he could not be around, nor will a manager ever have the power to sign his own players for the 26-30m needed.

This is one man, almost a Mr Tottenham who is the global liaison for the club

Agree with this. Having this role for much of the last 10 years has given us that little advantage and has allowed us to get ahead of the competition and has us seriously competing with those who were once light years ahead. This on a fraction of there resources. Even the period we did not have it under Redknapp, with all respect to Harry, he inherited a fantastic squad where the foundations had already been laid by Comolli. Comolli lost his job as the man he backed failed to work out (although Levy takes considerable blame here too) but the thinking was right. Jol wasn't up the standard for where we wanted to be. Redknapp was, in a roundabout and intentional way, a step up. And AVB is a further step up. We've come to so far in 10 years. It really is remarkable. 10 years ago Arsenal went a season unbeaten and we finished 14th under David Pleat. Then that idiot was sacked and Frank Arnesen appointed. And apart from a couple of steps back to go forwards again, it has been all largely uphill since.

Last edited:
Not disputing that Baldini is key to this transfer season, but you can't say he's the key to everything we've signed. Fundamentally this season marks a new era for the club, when we broke our GBP16m record not once but twice and possibly more. The key to this is really the funding that's been allowed - i.e. Levy/Sugar is behind this and deserves full credit.

My guess is the following sequence of events:

1. Bale's super price decided - he's to be sold
2. Levy decides to reinvest proceeds, hires Baldini
3. AVB echoes same thinking about DOF, and plots to leave Bale out
4. Baldini embarks on spending spree before we sell Bale to avoid price inflation. No pressure so long as we maintain positive net financials to fund his own salary
5. Levy balance the books, strengthens the squad overall - same goals ticked off as per previous season, only amounts of a different scale

Back