• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

comparable to Spain I think we had better players
They had a guy in charge who let they play front foot and with the ball
The only time we did was after Holland scored and before Gareth got hold pf the team at half time

Disagree mate but the game is all about opinions, all i know is i have been watching England regualy since Alf and when every competition comes round we/us fans tend to over estimate the ability of our players and it usually shows with the results of those competitions.

England’s last 6 goals at Euro 2024:

◎ Bellingham v Slovakia: 0.05(xG)
◎ Kane v Slovakia: 0.22(xG)
◎ Saka v Switzerland: 0.03(xG)
◎ Kane v Netherlands: Penalty
◎ Watkins v Netherlands: 0.06(xG)
◎ Palmer v Spain: 0.03(xG)

That’s not a team with a plan or a system IMO

Disagree mate but the game is all about opinions, all i know is i have been watching England regualy since Alf and when every competition comes round we/us fans tend to over estimate the ability of our players and it usually shows with the results of those competitions.
Honestly…
I don’t think Spain had amazing players
They had centre backs that would be at best “ok”’in the orem
A guy at left back who struggled most of the season
A keeper who is no where near the top in his league
And a Cf who doesn’t score
They have a great midfield and talent wide
But they have a plan and buy into it

As a non-England fan, my feeling is you’ll miss him when he’s gone. The football’s not great to watch, but he’s achieved more than any other English manager in my 50+ years on the planet.

We have beaten teams you would expect England to beat. We have always been gifted favourable draws in tournaments under Southgate. Granted we have embarrassingly lost to teams like Iceland under different managers but would you say Southgate is the reason we have got where we are? I wouldn’t say so. He’s made us very competitive in terms of results. On the flip side, we rarely control games. Whenever we take the lead we sit back and invite pressure or it takes going a goal behind in order for us to start playing. Bottom line for me is our strength is going forward but Southgate negates that by being so negative. The attacking play doesn’t seem structured, it appears to be give the ball to our creative players and just hope they get us out of trouble.

Honestly…
I don’t think Spain had amazing players
They had centre backs that would be at best “ok”’in the orem
A guy at left back who struggled most of the season
A keeper who is no where near the top in his league
And a Cf who doesn’t score
They have a great midfield and talent wide
But they have a plan and buy into it

Well they were better then us for sure, did they not win every game they played before playing us. But as they say it s all about opinions.

Bellingham is vastly overrated, Saka only had 2 good games and that was due to him being allowed to take on his man, Gordon should have been used to give us width and Kane has been absolutely dog brick all tournament. Southgate fudged it up all tournament yet got lucky due to playing brick teams and getting through due to individual brilliance. Spain won the tournament due to using their players to their strengths. Every time Williams or Yamal got the ball they wanted to be positive, mix that with a solid and balanced midfield and a striker that makes unselfish runs and you have a very good team. Morata is not a better striker than Kane but he made movements off of the ball that created spaces for others.

Well they were better then us for sure, did they not win every game they played before playing us. But as they say it s all about opinions.
They did
But they played as a team
Doesn’t mean they had better players, and that’s just opinions of course
But they had a plan and knew their job
England were a fudging mess in reality with results being much better then performances

I think England were good in the first half, nullifying Spain's midfield and preventing them from playing as well as they have been in the Euros. Rice, Mainoo, Walker and Shaw in particular did very well.

That early goal just after the break made a big difference, and England struggled to adapt, but they held on, made changes, and got the equalizer. I thought it would go into extra time then. Instead England retracted, Spain pushed on, and got their winner from Stones being in no man's land, preventing the offside.

Big shame, as I'd love to see the Euros last another 30 minutes or so. Also, I thought England deserved extra time - although in the end you can't really complain about Spain winning it all. They were the best team throughout the tournament. But IMO it wouldn't have taken much luck for England to nick it either.

Poor Harry though. He looked broken. Another final lost, another trophy gone.

I think England were good in the first half, nullifying Spain's midfield and preventing them from playing as well as they have been in the Euros. Rice, Mainoo, Walker and Shaw in particular did very well.

That early goal just after the break made a big difference, and England struggled to adapt, but they held on, made changes, and got the equalizer. I thought it would go into extra time then. Instead England retracted, Spain pushed on, and got their winner from Stones being in no man's land, preventing the offside.

Big shame, as I'd love to see the Euros last another 30 minutes or so. Also, I thought England deserved extra time - although in the end you can't really complain about Spain winning it all. They were the best team throughout the tournament. But IMO it wouldn't have taken much luck for England to nick it either.

Poor Harry though. He looked broken. Another final lost, another trophy gone.

I thought we would go on to win it after we equalised as it might knock Spain after being on top but not finishing us off but they reacted well. No complaints about the result, best team won. Yet again just wish we played more progressively and weren’t so timid. You don’t win finals be going into your shell. Yamal and Williams, what a pair of players! So good to watch. When Williams shoots he really does have a good ping on him and get a lot of purchase on the ball. Hats off to Spain, they came out the tough side of the draw beating Germany and France on the way.

Don’t want to single out Kane but it’s another final that has passed him by. For such a top player he really doesn’t influence the big moments in the win or go home games. Not a coincidence that he comes off in the semi and the final and we look more dangerous when he’s not on the pitch. Again not trying to spacegoat him as I thought Saka, Bellingham and Foden didn’t do much either. Palmer on the other hand made an impact again. We need to find a way to get him in the starting lineup.

Hope Southgate resigns and we get someone who plays attacking football. Nothing against him as a bloke, how could you not root for him if you know his story. Just think it’s time for a change. He’s had 4 tournaments. Not many other top nations would keep someone in charge for that long having not won anything.

I

....or a bunch of players who can't think like a team and play to a system.

Think about it through the years, regardless the coach, England has always underperformed in the euros or world cups

After the result, Van der Vaart shared his thoughts on the clash between Spain and England, and he pulled no punches.

He savagely took aim at Declan Rice, calling him 'useless' in a stinging attack on Dutch television.

"€100M for Declan Rice. What does he do? He comes to collect a ball only to pass it back to John Stones. He is useless," he exclaimed. "If you are truly worth €100M, then you should be able to play a ball forward.

This for me was a very good tournament for England. They established their credentials as being a very tough team to beat. You can never relax against them. Southgate is England's greatest manager of the last 58 years. All the shouts of 'he is boring', 'he mismanaged the team' are in my opinion unfair to him. He was given a target. He has taken England to 2 finals and IIRC 3rd place at a world cup. I didn't expect England to get to the final but he did. England didn't have the squad to play like Spain, Portugal etc. They were more entertaining than France though! If England wants to be more entertaining then you have to look at the players you are producing. You really require a set of midfielders that can control a game. Mainoo and Rice are not that kind of player. They are solid defensively but offensively.. na. Once again I doff my hat for Southgate. He has over delivered with this squad and should ignore the naysayers. Congratulations Spain on winning the Euros. It was not an easy final.

Didn't Kane score three goals?

That sums it up. Exceptional players without a system. All that latent attacking prowess. Every time we were behind we saw what the team could do. Of course the flip side is we had a good defensive foundation. But Southgate didn't build on that foundation. Contesque.

That sums it up. Exceptional players without a system. All that latent attacking prowess. Every time we were behind we saw what the team could do. Of course the flip side is we had a good defensive foundation. But Southgate didn't build on that foundation. Contesque.
Very conte
Don’t forget he was bringing on trippier and Gallagher too

Back