• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

Positives for England.

Mainoo, been England's best player, just need to find another competent midfielder to play with him.

Palmer, not phased at all, should be starting games really.

They should absolutely stick with Southgate too, his tactics work, his subs work, he overachieves, he just didn't have the players, other than leaving out Dier and Grealish, he doesn't get much blame from me.

Completely disagree re Southgate, we’re negative and only start to play when we need a goal or we don’t kick on and finish teams off when we do go in front. We’ve got lucky in this tournament with lucky draws and late goals from individual brilliance rather than tactical nous. Also completely disagree re Dier, he’s not played for half a season and is generally poor at CB. I think people have got it into their heads because he plays for Bayern that he’s played really well. Barcelona signed Paulinho. Sometimes even the big teams get signings wrong.

Also, you say Southgate doesn’t have the players, Spain I’ll give you are a better team but which other team are clearly better than England?

Last edited:
Remember in the qualifying when Spain lost to Scotland.. they had an almost had a completely different 11 from a year ago. That coach did really well to get them so far from how they were playing around that time

What was the tactics from Southgate?

All I can think, it play it safe, try not to lose and see if something happens up the other end.

Build up was slow, sideways and backwards. Noone would take on a player or have much movement.

Completely disagree re Southgate, we’re negative and only start to play when we need a goal or we don’t kick on and finish teams off when we do go in front. We’ve got lucky in this tournament with lucky draws and late goals from individual brilliance rather than tactical nous. Also completely disagree re Dier, he’s not played for half a season and is generally poor at CB. I think people have got it into their heads because he plays for Bayern that he’s played really well. Barcelona signed Paulinho. Sometimes even the big teams get signings wrong.

Also, you say Southgate doesn’t have the players, Spain I’ll give you are a better team but which other team are clearly better than England?
Spanish players aren’t better
They just know what they are doing

What was the tactics from Southgate?

All I can think, it play it safe, try not to lose and see if something happens up the other end.

Build up was slow, sideways and backwards. Noone would take on a player or have much movement.

It’s Jose ball. Negative low block and hope one of the stars bails you out with a moment of brilliance. Its fine if you win but its not good enough if you don’t.

Said it before the tournament started and i will say it again, a few of our players are overated by the media and a lot of fans. And once again we saw it in a game, Spain were far the better team and deserved the win. I am not going to defend Southgate but he is not the reason we lost that game some of our players look good in the Prem when they are surrounded by world class players from abroad but in a English shirt they struggle.

Said it before the tournament started and i will say it again, a few of our players are overated by the media and a lot of fans. And once again we saw it in a game, Spain were far the better team and deserved the win. I am not going to defend Southgate but he is not the reason we lost that game some of our players look good in the Prem when they are surrounded by world class players from abroad but in a English shirt they struggle.

I thought Foden had made a step up this season, but he still looked like a kid tonight.

I don’t think the players are overrated
Give an incompetent guy the best tools and the still won’t make anything good

My wife tried to argue with me his greatness as a coach and as I said .. he hasn’t beaten anyone

Spain lost or Scotland not that long ago and made changes

This tournament they beat the previous two finalists and the top two European sides from the last World Cup.. and the hosts

That was all on the coach adapting and changing

if the Spain victory heralds an era of wingers and fast incisive passing then it is worth the pain of being on the wrong side of it right now.

New manager? Southgate will get another 4 years

Have we ever had a manager before whose previous management career highlight was relegation?
As a non-England fan, my feeling is you’ll miss him when he’s gone. The football’s not great to watch, but he’s achieved more than any other English manager in my 50+ years on the planet.

I don’t think the players are overrated
Give an incompetent guy the best tools and the still won’t make anything good

My wife tried to argue with me his greatness as a coach and as I said .. he hasn’t beaten anyone

Spain lost or Scotland not that long ago and made changes

This tournament they beat the previous two finalists and the top two European sides from the last World Cup.. and the hosts

That was all on the coach adapting and changing

Southgate is not a GREAT coach for sure but to hear some fans and pundits talk you would think we have a team of GREAT players and imo we do not. One or Two who could be called that but there is a lot of overhyped players in there as well. imo

As a non-England fan, my feeling is you’ll miss him when he’s gone. The football’s not great to watch, but he’s achieved more than any other English manager in my 50+ years on the planet.
Has he though?
He has made finals and lost
Is that an achievement or is that knock out football
He has beaten one (1) team of comparable top 10 standing when playing (Holland) and lost every other time
He has also lost by conceding possession to Italy, Spain and Croatia
He may learn the lesson that in elite football positive possession football is what is needed along with some flexibility
I doubt it
His career high are these finals
His record before England was horrendous
He took over because of circumstances not because he was the man they wanted
I think he has dine everything he can. I genuinely believe that
I also think he is a nice guy
Nice guys don’t win things

Southgate is not a GREAT coach for sure but to hear some fans and pundits talk you would think we have a team of GREAT players and imo we do not. One or Two who could be called that but there is a lot of overhyped players in there as well. imo
comparable to Spain I think we had better players
They had a guy in charge who let they play front foot and with the ball
The only time we did was after Holland scored and before Gareth got hold pf the team at half time

Tend to agree with that, we have a habit in England of overating the talent of our players and it has been happening for a long time.

Back