• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

From r/coys - don't agree with every one of these, mind, but a useful series of lowlights of our benevolent owners over 20 grinding years. And they're usually one of the most pro-ENIC/happy clapper places out there, so seeing thus stuff come up there is pretty heartening!
View attachment 15516

View attachment 15515

Some I very much agree with, some they have def taken licence with like losing players to Madrid, the loss of Fab etc

Agreed. A few on there are unfair, but no list that comprehensive is going to be completely free of bias. Reasonable start, imo.
Is it … I mean really
Sacked Graham before a semi to bring in the fans favourite Hoddle
Why was the last part missed?
It’s bias that’s why

I think if you were to go back over 20 years of most clubs in the league bullet pointing the bad decisions you'd see a similar list.

Every manager who leaves a club will point to transfers as a reason for them not succeeding
For some (I include myself in this list) the anti ENIC feeling isn't new, it's come over many years and many decisions that we have questioned at the time. So yes a long 20 year list is very relevant for me.

I do appreciate though that if you haven't had any issue with their stewardship until maybe the latter Poch period then the list might feel like someone digging for complaints.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

For some (I include myself in this list) the anti ENIC feeling isn't new, it's come over many years and many decisions that we have questioned at the time. So yes a long 20 year list is very relevant for me.

I do appreciate though that if you haven't had any issue with their stewardship until maybe the latter Poch period then the list might feel like someone digging for complaints.

My thoughts are that if the club is progressing on and off the field over a medium to long term period then the smaller day to day/year to year decisions that they get wrong are being outweighed by those they get right, how else do you progress unless you're getting more right than wrong? this pretty much sums up the era from takeover to stadium build and was generally my argument throughout those years at different points. Yes there were mistakes and poor decisions along the way but if you take a step back before taking two forward it's not an issue for me - Hoddle/Pleat brought about Arnesen & Jol, Ramos brought about Redknapp and then AVB & Sherwood brought about Pochettino - for me i don't see why we fixate on the wrong there when each time it was followed by an improvement beyond where we had been previously, each time breaking new ground as we rose up through the league and tbqh i think that's a fairly logical position to take.

The issue is now that we are on extended run of bad decisions/mistakes that have seen us take several steps back with no sign of us being able to correct the slide.

I could see the predicament with Pochettinos team needing investment to take the next step clashing with the stadium build, they got a pass from me on that - it's tough to navigate a stadium build. Sacking Poch for Mourinho, huge red flag and had me questioning them - Mourinho to Nuno to Conte further compounded that as it was just repeating the same mistake over and over, though there was some glimmer of hope with the Paratichi appointment and the level of investment in transfers - but ultimately it's been bad decision after bad decision stretching back 4 years or so now and is probably on paper their worse run of mistakes/big decisions not working out - we're regressing/plateauing for the first real extended run of time during their ownership - for people who fixate on the bad parts of the pre stadium era it's the final straw wheras for me (and i guess others who share my thinking) it's the first point I've really had to call them in to question.

My thoughts are that if the club is progressing on and off the field over a medium to long term period then the smaller day to day/year to year decisions that they get wrong are being outweighed by those they get right, how else do you progress unless you're getting more right than wrong? this pretty much sums up the era from takeover to stadium build and was generally my argument throughout those years at different points. Yes there were mistakes and poor decisions along the way but if you take a step back before taking two forward it's not an issue for me - Hoddle/Pleat brought about Arnesen & Jol, Ramos brought about Redknapp and then AVB & Sherwood brought about Pochettino - for me i don't see why we fixate on the wrong there when each time it was followed by an improvement beyond where we had been previously, each time breaking new ground as we rose up through the league and tbqh i think that's a fairly logical position to take.

The issue is now that we are on extended run of bad decisions/mistakes that have seen us take several steps back with no sign of us being able to correct the slide.

I could see the predicament with Pochettinos team needing investment to take the next step clashing with the stadium build, they got a pass from me on that - it's tough to navigate a stadium build. Sacking Poch for Mourinho, huge red flag and had me questioning them - Mourinho to Nuno to Conte further compounded that as it was just repeating the same mistake over and over, though there was some glimmer of hope with the Paratichi appointment and the level of investment in transfers - but ultimately it's been bad decision after bad decision stretching back 4 years or so now and is probably on paper their worse run of mistakes/big decisions not working out - we're regressing/plateauing for the first real extended run of time during their ownership - for people who fixate on the bad parts of the pre stadium era it's the final straw wheras for me (and i guess others who share my thinking) it's the first point I've really had to call them in to question.
Perfectly sums it up for me

I said when all this came up a month or so back, I will give Enic 5 years of clear covid free new stadium years before I make final judgement, this is year 2, if they don't realise their own vision in what was their own words (new stadia self sustained football) then I will be seriously questioning them.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Excellent post Bill sums up exactly how I feel about them.

Sacking Poch for Mourinho, huge red flag and had me questioning them - Mourinho to Nuno to Conte further compounded that as it was just repeating the same mistake over and over

Overall a good post but I would catch you on this. I’d say very, very few people saw employing Conte as a bad decision at the time. Of course, there was potential for it to go wrong — the most obvious being that he wouldn’t be backed financially, which in the end wasn’t the downfall. It was Conte completely losing his brick because it was more work than he’d wanted.

Others will say it was a bad decision because he’s a negative coach. Well, there we no complaints about that after 5-0 away to Norwich last season.

The bad decision for me is not sacking him during the World Cup, but boy it would have kicked off then.

Very fair and measured response. For me the last 5 years have just been further nails in the coffin that says they don't really know what they are doing or that in critical moments their judgements have been askew.

So it's been harder for me to cast aside those yearly issues because again I will say for myself they just compound and have made me question their ultimate suitability (many years ago).

You know how sometimes you can meet a person early on, and some of their actions and the things they say just give off the wrong vibe which makes you question them and over a period of time they keep confirming what you suspected? That's kind of where my feelings of ENIC lay.

Overall a good post but I would catch you on this. I’d say very, very few people saw employing Conte as a bad decision at the time. Of course, there was potential for it to go wrong — the most obvious being that he wouldn’t be backed financially, which in the end wasn’t the downfall. It was Conte completely losing his brick because it was more work than he’d wanted.

Others will say it was a bad decision because he’s a negative coach. Well, there we no complaints about that after 5-0 away to Norwich last season.

The bad decision for me is not sacking him during the World Cup, but boy it would have kicked off then.

Excellent post from Billyiddo, but an excellent response too. Among all the negativity now, people seem to be ignoring that in Conte’s first season we got 4th for the first time since Poch, and at the beginning of this season we were the pundits’ clear favourite for third under Conte, after a good summer transfer window. And I think most Spurs fans felt similarly positively, judging by this forum.

If we’d gone with a different replacement of Nuno (and who should that have been?), we might have already lost Kane and had none of the extra spending money from CL qualification.

I agree.
Although the Conte appointment could be seen as a better attempt at the Jose appointment but still ultimately a mistake, you can't argue that if a top 5 world manager is agreeing to come to a barely top 5 PL team are you going to turn him down?. I think most would take that opportunity.

I agree.
Although the Conte appointment could be seen as a better attempt at the Jose appointment but still ultimately a mistake, you can't argue that if a top 5 world manager is agreeing to come to a barely top 5 PL team are you going to turn him down?. I think most would take that opportunity.

Agreed. Especially when there weren't many particularly appealing alternatives, as far as I remember.

I agree.

Like most things argued about ENIC, the emotional need to catastrophize everything is what makes the conversation a waste

- Was Jose & Conte a mistake in the end? yes, just on the timeline and toxicity, bad call
- Did it make "no sense at all, and only an idiot would have made those appointments"? I don't agree

Most of our managerial appointments have some kind of logic that could be argued. The failure rate however implies either that logic was flawed or the system in place to help them be successful post hiring isn't working.

Personally i questioned/was against Conte as manager when first linked at the end of the 20/21 - much like when Mourinho took over he was the opposite of what we needed which was a manager to see through a rebuild, not a win now manager and on top of that i knew his volatile outbursts would cause problems sooner or later - at the time i think there were a few people who shared that opinion. Obviously after that summers manager search and the Nuno debacle i was just happy to put that period behind us and focus on the potential upsides and tbf the remainder of that season gave us reason to be optimistic. Ultimately though it all fell apart this seasons and imv moainly because Conte wasn't suited to the job at hand and his public persona was not going to win him any patience which essentially proved me right to be against him in the first place.

Like most things argued about ENIC, the emotional need to catastrophize everything is what makes the conversation a waste

- Was Jose & Conte a mistake in the end? yes, just on the timeline and toxicity, bad call
- Did it make "no sense at all, and only an idiot would have made those appointments"? I don't agree

Most of our managerial appointments have some kind of logic that could be argued. The failure rate however implies either that logic was flawed or the system in place to help them be successful post hiring isn't working.

They absoloutely were they were wrong calls - we needed to rebuild when we appointed Jose and to see through a rebuild when we appointed Conte and neither managers are who you should be turning to for that job. It's been categorically proven that a rebuild was/is required so anyone thinking those managers were the right call either didn't get that or didn't get that those managers aren't the right men for that job.

They absoloutely were they were wrong calls - we needed to rebuild when we appointed Jose and to see through a rebuild when we appointed Conte and neither managers are who you should be turning to for that job. It's been categorically proven that a rebuild was/is required so anyone thinking those managers were the right call either didn't get that or didn't get that those managers aren't the right men for that job.

And that's the hindsight perspective (which is always 100%)

For another (and I'm not saying it's right, just a view), Jose was when the stadium was coming online, this was the moment the club had been waiting 15 years for, additional money to spend, the pressure of the "almost years" and the length of time since last trophy was telling, you also had Son & Kane at their absolute prime, Lloris still good, last chance to milk something out of this squad. Who better to give a 24 month run (neither Jose or Conte stay), back with some money, grab a trophy, get the monkey off the back and then move on to the next stage, rebuild, life post the CL squad.

Jose got fudged by Covid, then we doubled down on the approach with Conte.

Bad call for sure, but to say it was without some kind of logic/perspective is disingenuous. It's funny but I actually think after 20 odd years of playing the long game, Levy lost his patience at exactly the wrong time.

Back