• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

I've no desire to become a Leeds, Portsmouth or now Everton.

You say that younger fans may not have the context of being penniless in the 1990s, but that was *also* a historical aberration - we were historically a big, if sometimes underperforming club throughout the period from 1961 to about 1991. We broke the British transfer record to bring in Jimmy Greaves, he didn't do too badly.

As for the 'don't do a Leeds' stuff, it's been around as long as Levy has - it's the only thing left that keeps people pro-ENIC, I think. I understand the fear, but I don't subscribe to it and think we can do a lot better than just exist, as we do under this lot.

Utlimately I think it comes down to when fans grew up - a lot of our fans now grew up in the 1990s and early 2000s and seem to accept ENIC because of the trauma of those times. But the reason I'm confident the ENIC out chants will only grow is because the younger generations now trickling into the ground aren't burdened by those times and are sick of being also-rans - and eventually they'll be the dominant voice of the hoi polloi. It'll take another decade or so, but this lot have clung on with their fingernails as far better owners have come and gone elsewhere (many of whom wanted to buy us first) - so sadly I think they'll still be around then, but the mood will have fully shifted at that time.

You say that younger fans may not have the context of being penniless in the 1990s, but that was *also* a historical aberration - we were historically a big, if sometimes underperforming club throughout the period from 1961 to about 1991. We broke the British transfer record to bring in Jimmy Greaves, he didn't do too badly.

As for the 'don't do a Leeds' stuff, it's been around as long as Levy has - it's the only thing left that keeps people pro-ENIC, I think. I understand the fear, but I don't subscribe to it and think we can do a lot better than just exist, as we do under this lot.

Utlimately I think it comes down to when fans grew up - a lot of our fans now grew up in the 1990s and early 2000s and seem to accept ENIC because of the trauma of those times. But the reason I'm confident the ENIC out chants will only grow is because the younger generations now trickling into the ground aren't burdened by those times and are sick of being also-rans - and eventually they'll be the dominant voice of the hoi polloi. It'll take another decade or so, but this lot have clung on with their fingernails as far better owners have come and gone elsewhere (many of whom wanted to buy us first) - so sadly I think they'll still be around then, but the mood will have fully shifted at that time.
Why are the protests so small though?

Yep, we brought in villa and ardiles. Then almost went bankrupt. 81 we had £5m debt. Biggest debt in english football. Then scholar took over and it got worse.

Still 'clinging on by their fingernails' no doubt. LOL.

Why are the protests so small though?
true that and the small protests will see little impact in merchandise sales at the club store.
however the online levyout noise is getting louder everyday and you have to wonder about the impact on the global young ones who adopt a club through internet chatter. most of them will never ever visit white hart lane or even London, but plenty more will be buying spurs merchandise through the online club store.

true that and the small protests will see little impact in merchandise sales at the club store.
however the online levyout noise is getting louder everyday and you have to wonder about the impact on the global young ones who adopt a club through internet chatter. most of them will never ever visit white hart lane or even London, but plenty more will be buying spurs merchandise through the online club store.
When most of them in the protest have been to the club shop and holding bags with merch I would say little impact.

Also this generation buy stuff regardless, it's their thing, it's be seen in the stuff.

Only way, if its your thing, to hit the club is in the pocket but most haven't got the stomach to follow that through.

The online contingent cry their eyes and bitch about levy, the influencers, podcasters, yet they are there at the open days to play on the pitch and at the NFL press calls

All gutless clout chasers

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

The clubs online business is small globally
Most purchases are always made locally
The young fans you talk about aren’t into merchandise in the same way fans were
Football shirts are worn by kids to play in now
And social media has become a joke now. Twitter has about as much credibility as the government

The clubs online business is small globally
Most purchases are always made locally
The young fans you talk about aren’t into merchandise in the same way fans were
Football shirts are worn by kids to play in now
And social media has become a joke now. Twitter has about as much credibility as the government
I've noticed kids now seem to follow players for shirts more than teams.

My eldest is a Spurs fan (no choice) but he has Haaland, Messi and Mbappe shirts. Most of the kids in his school team wear player shirts from all over the world at training but don't support those clubs.

My eldest is a Spurs fan (no choice) but he has Haaland, Messi and Mbappe shirts. Most of the kids in his school team wear player shirts from all over the world at training but don't support those clubs.

I see a lot of that with the team I coach too, my son would claim to support Spurs, but all he watches on YouTube is Ronaldo goals

maybe there is a new type of fan coming, but, is it new, when I was younger I had a Rossi shirt, a Pele shirt, then Zidane, more recently had a couple of Beckham shirts too

100% Its shirts, FIFA Cards, Trading cards

Agree with this, my nephews, although big Spurs fans, like retro shirts and obscure shirts of other teams. The youngest is massively in to Ronaldo and is prob as much a fan of him as he is Spurs!

Not everyone is an armchair accountant tbf who can take the time or have the knowledge to properly understand the implications of the numbers.

As a layman looking at your post i would hazard a guess that those figures fluctuate year to year depending on variables and it would be player wages that would primarily close the gap? Wage expenditure will naturally rise slower compared to speed at which revenue has grown since the stadium has started bringing in the papes - as the squad improves wages will go up too but this won't happen instantly.
They fluctuate depending on revenue (the set of accounts just released would seem to be our minimum base now) player amortisation and wages. For the last set of accounts we had a whopping £50m of leeway. Next year (due to CL) we’ll have even more leeway.

I had a bin bag full of moody shirts for around 15/20 clubs my uncle got me from Thailand in the late 90s/early 00s, a trend setter perhaps.

Think the 98 Brazil shirt and an Ajax away shirt I bought when on their stadium tour in the 90s are the only non-Spurs shirts I've actively purchased or wanted.

Adults do that too. I often turn up to training in a Fiorentina or a Cadiz shirt, or whatever random club/design took my fancy when there were end of season sales on. Spurs ones rotate in too obviously. Everyone else down the training pitches are the same. As long as it's not an English rival, then a bit of variety and a bit of fashion (pulling out a classic Hummels) is all good.

Yep like how Americans collect baseball caps of their favourite players.

Back