• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Yip.

Even worse, there has just been a 6 week window to deal with current managerial issues, and to discuss the path ahead. By the third or fourth week of the World Cup break an agreement about future plans should have been made between both parties, and a decision made by the board on who should be in charge for the rest of the season, and moving forward.

Instead we are seemingly locked into the kind of limbo we’ve seen at least twice before in recent years. Worse we’re in a crucial transfer window, and facing the possibility that should we allow Conte to spend on players he wants he could well be off in a few months time.

Pretty poor stuff from the board.
How do we know it hasn’t been made ?

conte seems to publicly be saying that he knows what’s been agreed. Younger players that don’t have mega contracts. That’s his words

My position since seeing Levy up close in the Amazon documentary was that he was clueless about football and needed to step back completely from any football related decisions.
He has almost done that.
But he again will be the one making the decision on the manager. He also signed Spence on a solo run. He can't keep away.

Now we are stuck in a situation where we really shouldn't be signing players to suit the current manager. His contract is up in 4 months and might not even make it a month.
There is no point in signing a right wing back if next month's manager will play a defensive right back.

That stems from the issue that the club has no footballing identity. No set style of play. That comes from the top.
If you set out from the top that the club play attacking football or creative football, then you sign these sorts of players.
You get a manager that will play this style or else he gets removed and replaced by a manager who will.

Then you don't have to rip up the team every 2 years when go from a pressing manager to a counter attacking manager.

It wouldn't happen at Bayern, Barcelona or Brighton.

Yet Levy's new manager search has always been based upon the qualities that the last manager was missing rather than any football philosophy.

Your points lose credibility when you dive into hyperbole

- Yes, Levy has alternated between radically different types of managers -> motivators/underdogs (BMJ, Harry, Poch) and disciplinarians/winners (Juande/Jose/Conte) and that's a problem. There potentially is a lesson in there about what type of manager we have been successful with (hint, it isn't the "winners")
- To say that Levy knows nothing about football is just tired, the Spurs he bought is so far from what we have now, that to assume he only got the business right is just outright disingenuous
- Some of Spurs best signings are Spence types -> Bale, Walker, Rose, Kulu, Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, list goes on, the idea that we should abandon that strategy just because of Conte makes no sense. Now should we have loaned him out knowing that Conte wasn't going to play him? different conversation.
- Levy put himself in a bad place with his stupid Spurs DNA quote, but this idea of club philosophy is a myth, City's philosophy is Pep's, with very rare exceptions (Barca/Ajax being the big ones), that's how most clubs operate, does Chelsea have a philosophy? does United? (and fyi, quoting clubs like Brighton and Brentford is just annoying, we have seen this story before, all the way back to Charlton, small club gets a moment in the sun for a few years then fades back to nothing eventually).

The point re this window and Conte is very real, we do need to make a decision, the problem for the club is Conte is hardly like to give assurances and we need to consider that when we decide.

Yip.

Even worse, there has just been a 6 week window to deal with current managerial issues, and to discuss the path ahead. By the third or fourth week of the World Cup break an agreement about future plans should have been made between both parties, and a decision made by the board on who should be in charge for the rest of the season, and moving forward.

Instead we are seemingly locked into the kind of limbo we’ve seen at least twice before in recent years. Worse we’re in a crucial transfer window, and facing the possibility that should we allow Conte to spend on players he wants he could well be off in a few months time.

Pretty poor stuff from the board.
I have to question your analysis.

Conte is saying exactly what our policy is, and he excepts that, agrees to it.

What he is saying, constantly, is we need time and patience. It's a process, that starts with laying a foundation. He's comes across flustered as either he hasn't got the patience himself or more likely has to deal with the noise a neurotic part of the fanbase keep igniting.

Your points lose credibility when you dive into hyperbole

- Yes, Levy has alternated between radically different types of managers -> motivators/underdogs (BMJ, Harry, Poch) and disciplinarians/winners (Juande/Jose/Conte) and that's a problem. There potentially is a lesson in there about what type of manager we have been successful with (hint, it isn't the "winners")
- To say that Levy knows nothing about football is just tired, the Spurs he bought is so far from what we have now, that to assume he only got the business right is just outright disingenuous
- Some of Spurs best signings are Spence types -> Bale, Walker, Rose, Kulu, Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, list goes on, the idea that we should abandon that strategy just because of Conte makes no sense. Now should we have loaned him out knowing that Conte wasn't going to play him? different conversation.
- Levy put himself in a bad place with his stupid Spurs DNA quote, but this idea of club philosophy is a myth, City's philosophy is Pep's, with very rare exceptions (Barca/Ajax being the big ones), that's how most clubs operate, does Chelsea have a philosophy? does United? (and fyi, quoting clubs like Brighton and Brentford is just annoying, we have seen this story before, all the way back to Charlton, small club gets a moment in the sun for a few years then fades back to nothing eventually).

The point re this window and Conte is very real, we do need to make a decision, the problem for the club is Conte is hardly like to give assurances and we need to consider that when we decide.

Agree with a lot of that.

I'm not sure there is actually a problem at the minute, not where it matters anyway, between Levy, Conte and the players. I think it's just the fanbase getting twitchy, partly because it's the neighbours at the top of the league, which is mad to me, what they do is no more relevant to us than City or Chelsea.

I have to question your analysis.

Conte is saying exactly what our policy is, and he excepts that, agrees to it.

What he is saying, constantly, is we need time and patience. It's a process, that starts with laying a foundation. He's comes across flustered as either he hasn't got the patience himself or more likely has to deal with the noise a neurotic part of the fanbase keep igniting.

I'd wager a lot of that noise goes away if he signed a new contract and showed he was committed to the 'project' rather than talking about how long it will take to turn things around, without suggesting he intends to see it through.

Agree with a lot of that.

I'm not sure there is actually a problem at the minute, not where it matters anyway, between Levy, Conte and the players. I think it's just the fanbase getting twitchy, partly because it's the neighbours at the top of the league, which is mad to me, what they do is no more relevant to us than City or Chelsea.

I think it's more because we look like we are going backwards.

We were decent last spring. Added lots of good, expensive players, fairly early in the window. Then had a long, uninterrupted pre-season. And we've been brick and getting worse ever since.

With a manager who is working, you see progress. After 4/6 weeks with Poch you could see progress, and that upward trajectory continued uninterrupted for 5 years (until it finally began to falter). Ten Hag has had more progress in a few weeks than we've managed in 4 years.

I don't see any green shoots at all at the moment. We look like we're in a death spiral, and now it's just whether the inevitable conclusion is Thursday morning, early spring or June.

We were decent last spring. Added lots of good, expensive players, fairly early in the window. Then had a long, uninterrupted pre-season. And we've been brick and getting worse ever since.

With a manager who is working, you see progress. After 4/6 weeks with Poch you could see progress, and that upward trajectory continued uninterrupted for 5 years (until it finally began to falter). Ten Hag has had more progress in a few weeks than we've managed in 4 years.

I don't see any green shoots at all at the moment. We look like we're in a death spiral, and now it's just whether the inevitable conclusion is Thursday morning, early spring or June.

Thats all subjective, which is fine, but the stats don’t back that up, not many seasons where we have had this many points and topped our CL group going into the January window.

I think there was twitchiness over Poch more than 6 weeks into his reign too.

Death spiral!:D The green shoots were the end of last season, and this season could, could possibly be down to fatigue (same players playing twice a week, and not having the deep squad yet due to non-signings/injuries). Let's see how the window and season pans out.

Thing is, the scum also had to step backward before they went forward. It is normal. You can't have unrelenting advancement when already top 4. There invariably will be times where you step back, to go forwards. The scum are a prime example. They managed to stick with a programme, even when results were not working out, and are reaping the rewards now.

I hope the Spurs management can ignore the fans and stay true to their vision. Sometimes Levy can act like the fans, and be impulsive, lets hope he can see the merits of stability.

As soon as we moved to one game a week the consistency arrived. Conte came with a reputation he could only do one game a week, and last season done nothing to disprove that. Tbh it's not a good look, you're going to be playing twice a week if you're a top 6 team in this country.
I'm not sure we are in a death spiral. Dogged with injuries, out of form players and hanging in for a couple of new recruits in Jan.

Thats all subjective, which is fine, but the stats don’t back that up, not many seasons where we have had this many points and topped our CL group going into the January window.

I think there was twitchiness over Poch more than 6 weeks into his reign too.
What doesn't help is our style/entertainment level doesn't jive with many...which is fair enough.

I also think the negative pattern the games follow goes from headscratching to annoying (nothing is changing) after a while.

I'd wager a lot of that noise goes away if he signed a new contract and showed he was committed to the 'project' rather than talking about how long it will take to turn things around, without suggesting he intends to see it through.

Exactly.

As soon as we moved to one game a week the consistency arrived. Conte came with a reputation he could only do one game a week, and last season done nothing to disprove that. Tbh it's not a good look, you're going to be playing twice a week if you're a top 6 team in this country.
I'm not sure we are in a death spiral. Dogged with injuries, out of form players and hanging in for a couple of new recruits in Jan.

What doesn't help is our style/entertainment level doesn't jive with many...which is fair enough.

I also think the negative pattern the games follow goes from headscratching to annoying (nothing is changing) after a while.

that’s modern football though, players are too well prepared, you have to be flexible, you can’t just throw everyone forward all the time

And therein lies the rub, if I am the chairman why should I back a manager who has less than 6 months left on his contract and so far does not appear to be willing to commit himself to the club by signing a new one?

And therein lies the rub, if I am the chairman why should I back a manager who has less than 6 months left on his contract and so far does not appear to be willing to commit himself to the club by signing a new one?
We also have the option of an extra year.

they speak every day, neither need the contract signed to know where the other is at

they speak every day, neither need the contract signed to know where the other is at

That reminds me of Sol Campbell, who used to stress that he was here and committed. I bet you Levy did not expect him to jump ship to the Goons. So Levy and Conte talk, all that does is prove that the manager is not yet committed enough to sign a contract.

Yes, especially when that manager has a very specific system that is unlikely to be transferred to the next

We also have the option of an extra year.

Means nothing, he can walk. Him proactively committing to a longer timeframe is a much better statement.

Back