• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

as much as I loved the wee Portuguese this is a separate issue for me, it's not hatred of him, its distrust, i think Ade is short changing us, he turns it on and off when he feels like it, you can't build anything with a player like that in the squad, above all else you need reliability, the fact he can be so good frustrates me incredibly as i know the next let down is just around the corner

as much as I loved the wee Portuguese this is a separate issue for me, it's not hatred of him, its distrust, i think Ade is short changing us, he turns it on and off when he feels like it, you can't build anything with a player like that in the squad, above all else you need reliability, the fact he can be so good frustrates me incredibly as i know the next let down is just around the corner

I think this is another myth for me. He has good and bad games like anyone else. Some days he and others can appear unplayable. Other days not so much. Part of the reason they are playing at Spurs right now and not Real Madrid, Barca or some other billionaire club.

To be fair to Ade, I don't think its a trying/discipline issue, it's a mental thing. When he mentally switches it on, he can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and do it all, be literally world class.

Other times he tries, physical effort is there, but it just doesn't click for him, wonder if he frustrates himself as much as us?

Galeforce's point is valid, an on Ade would have won us that game yesterday, the chances/possession/opportunities were there. Poch has to get one of Ade/Soldado/Kane consistent

Agree completely. Its crazy that week in week out, we just cross our fingers and "hope" that Good Ade decides to show up today. There is no consistency whatsoever, regardless of if he has played a lot of games or had a rest, if the opponents are good or the opponents are weak, if the conditions are good or the conditions are bad. Its a pure lottery every week.

Of course, all players have ups and downs, but successful teams are built around the consistency of the core players. And we simply dont have it with Ade.

Agree completely. Its crazy that week in week out, we just cross our fingers and "hope" that Good Ade decides to show up today. There is no consistency whatsoever, regardless of if he has played a lot of games or had a rest, if the opponents are good or the opponents are weak, if the conditions are good or the conditions are bad. Its a pure lottery every week.

Of course, all players have ups and downs, but successful teams are built around the consistency of the core players. And we simply dont have it with Ade.

That's just not right though. In his first season he scored 18 goals in 37 - top goalscorer
Last season he scored 14 in 25. Only in AVB's full season as manager did he fail to score regularly which was probably because the team was set up for Bale at the expense of everyone else. Ok he is not clinical which I had hoped would be where Soldado fitted in, but I think he is consistently good rather than bad.

Surprised to see so much activity in the Ade thread. I'm not an Ade fan and never will be (too inconsistent) but he had a good game on saturday.
He did so much work pressing along with the rest of the front four.

To be fair to Ade, I don't think its a trying/discipline issue, it's a mental thing. When he mentally switches it on, he can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and do it all, be literally world class.

Other times he tries, physical effort is there, but it just doesn't click for him, wonder if he frustrates himself as much as us?

Galeforce's point is valid, an on Ade would have won us that game yesterday, the chances/possession/opportunities were there. Poch has to get one of Ade/Soldado/Kane consistent
A 10% on Ade would have won the game.

I don't mind him having off days, all players have them. But if most players go from 100% to 60% on their off days, Ade goes from 100% to 5%.

When on form he's the best outfield player we have, the rest (and unfortunately, majority) of the time he's a waste of a sub slot, let alone a starting position.

trouble is, i guess, that if the support 3 aren't creating space/chances inside the box as well as the CF then he will be the one who comes in for the most criticism as he's the one people look to the most to do that.

trouble is, i guess, that if the support 3 aren't creating space/chances inside the box as well as the CF then he will be the one who comes in for the most criticism as he's the one people look to the most to do that

But they are always looking for the run.. Ade hardly ever runs of the shoulder and its driving me nuts. His one time he did it he got a goal scoring opportunity but the keeper saved as he was so close to the shot. (being kind as Ade shot right at him).

But they are always looking for the run.. Ade hardly ever runs of the shoulder and its driving me nuts. His one time he did it he got a goal scoring opportunity but the keeper saved as he was so close to the shot. (being kind as Ade shot right at him).
Don't forget his ability to hide behind defenders when we're in a crossing position.

i don't think ade is suitable of making intelligent and timely runs for the midfield to pick up on. he needs to look at how van nielsterooy plays with the defensive line to catch them off guard. he needs to make the little sprints before the play happens not after, something that chadli has been doing really well lately, popping up in places where even we don't expect him to.

also in the build up play, he doesn't really try to initiate things when he can. instead of looking for the next player to put through on a scoring opportunity, he plays a pass that says "here you go, i've done my part, now i'm heading upfield - look out for me". when he does this we lose the initiative and it gives time for the defence to get numbers back.

and this is where i think soldado will excel as we've seen glimpses of in pre season. he doesn't hold up the ball in the way ade does, but is clever and selfless enough to let play progress without him.

Playing with just one striker means we need that striker to be more prolific than Ade is right now

i actually dont think that true necessarily.

we play with 3 forwards all drifting and interchanging ...its a group tally we should be looking at, in which case with a system where we play like 3 forwards then BOTH ade and lamela should pull their weight...but ade has scored already......plus if we truly play with a lone strike thier mandate is just As much about bringing in the rest of the team into the game as it is to score

this isnt to say that he even does that task well at the moment, i just dont necessarily believe that the defining quality of a lone striker is their number of goalss...especially if they are the hold up type of striker

trouble is, i guess, that if the support 3 aren't creating space/chances inside the box as well as the CF then he will be the one who comes in for the most criticism as he's the one people look to the most to do that.

what annoys me is when we do create chances for him but rather than just shooting he dithers then falls over his own feet

i actually dont think that true necessarily.

we play with 3 forwards all drifting and interchanging ...its a group tally we should be looking at, in which case with a system where we play like 3 forwards then BOTH ade and lamela should pull their weight...but ade has scored already......plus if we truly play with a lone strike thier mandate is just As much about bringing in the rest of the team into the game as it is to score

this isnt to say that he even does that task well at the moment, i just dont necessarily believe that the defining quality of a lone striker is their number of goalss...especially if they are the hold up type of striker

Agreed.

In a 4-2-3-1 you essentially have a front 4 that can all pop up with goals. To some extent you're less reliant on strikers to score all your goals than in a more traditional 4-4-2. At least the way we're set up with Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli I think.

A 10% on Ade would have won the game.

I don't mind him having off days, all players have them. But if most players go from 100% to 60% on their off days, Ade goes from 100% to 5%.

When on form he's the best outfield player we have, the rest (and unfortunately, majority) of the time he's a waste of a sub slot, let alone a starting position.

I think you're being a bit harsh on his Sunderland performance. But I agree in general that the difference between his best and worst is too big and he doesn't perform at his best often enough.

Pochettino seems to trust him a lot so far though. Wouldn't have been unreasonable to start Soldado or Kane a couple of times already based on what Ade has done so far. I wonder if Poch thinks he can get more out of Ade?

Back