• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Adebayor

If it was the questions that led JD then I thought with all his media training he was sharper than that...

Question 1: "What do you think of AVB's decision to put Ade in the reserves?"
Answer: “AVB is the manager and we all support his decisions"

Question 2: "Does it hurt the team to be missing a good player like Ade?"
Answer: “Ade is a great player and he would improve any squad blah blah"

I agree with JD that Ade should not have been made to play with the reserves if he is fit.

Defoe doesn't say that

It seems petty to me. Obviously JD knows his days at Spurs are numbered but he has never said anything to rock the boat in his career.
AVB does not think we need Ade. I hope he is right.

How does Defoe rock the boat here? Why would he know that his days are numbered, any more than any other 30 year old player knows that they are reaching the end of their career?

^^
You see things differently to me.

If JD thinks he has a chance (as Ade still does?) to be 1st choice at Spurs then that is a false hope IMO.

If it was the questions that led JD then I thought with all his media training he was sharper than that...

Question 1: "What do you think of AVB's decision to put Ade in the reserves?"
Answer: “AVB is the manager and we all support his decisions"

Question 2: "Does it hurt the team to be missing a good player like Ade?"
Answer: “Ade is a great player and he would improve any squad blah blah"

Do you want that kinda stuff? I don't want that "Hopefully, we can slightly improve on last season" rubbish.

I WANT, DESIRE, LONG FOR players to say what they really think.

I really do feel for Ade or anyone that loses a close family member but I still don't see why he should miss weeks of work. The rest of us with normal jobs would get a few days off and have to get back on with work and life don't see why he as a footballer should be treated different.

Not being heartless but if I lost my sister and went on a two week sabbatical i would probably come back and not have a job

In all fairness, when I was depressed for nearly six months for much lesser reasons, I couldn't even crawl out of bed to take a shower much less show up to class. I was pretty fortunate to be allowed to retake the year, though, and I certainly would've lost my job (keeping in mind that footballers/sportspeople are not normal jobs by any means...they are more like the entertainment sector, where celebrities often have a short but rather eventful career lifespan, and comebacks are possible).

Due to his complete disappearance off the face of the earth, I do suspect it is a genuinely clinical thing with him at this point like depression or dysthmia rather than normal mourning, in which case he should be seeking professional help. I really don't want to speculate though.

I hate reading interviews with players and have token answers but I can imagine the club tell the players not to go against the club policy. Defoe shouldnt have given this journo the chance to make him look this way. Especially, when AVB is quite a ruthless manager, if I was a player I wouldnt want to irritate him if I wasnt in the team. I would argue that BAE who was often outspoken on twitter was another victim of this.

I hate reading interviews with players and have token answers but I can imagine the club tell the players not to go against the club policy. Defoe shouldnt have given this journo the chance to make him look this way. Especially, when AVB is quite a ruthless manager, if I was a player I wouldnt want to irritate him if I wasnt in the team. I would argue that BAE who was often outspoken on twitter was another victim of this.

He hasn't disappeared completely - he still tweets a fair bit. Mostly about music but transfer deadline day was illuminating.

I think all this says more about AVB than Ade.

You have to be able to deal with all sorts to be a great manager. Fergie's treatment of Cantona is the example.

^^
You see things differently to me.

If JD thinks he has a chance (as Ade still does?) to be 1st choice at Spurs then that is a false hope IMO.

I don't think that Defoe has a hope in hell of being first choice for us again but I think that he can still play a useful squad role for another season or two.

You have to be able to deal with all sorts to be a great manager. Fergie's treatment of Cantona is the example.

I think that we should probably reserve judgement for a month or two. AVB's English is not always the best and it is possible that Ade is only training with the reserve to get to the same level of match fitness as the players who had a pre-season.

Ferguson got rid many important players who caused him problems : Van Nistelrooy, Keane, Staam, and Beckham.
I think the problem with Adebayor is that we wanted to sell him but he refused to leave.

Ferguson got rid many important players who caused him problems : Van Nistelrooy, Keane, Staam, and Beckham.
I think the problem with Adebayor is that we wanted to sell him but he refused to leave.
That's a good point.
I am not saying AVB is wrong. I am hoping he is right.

I don't know what has gone on behind the scenes but this seems like poor management of a reasonably valuable asset to me. We are not exactly overflowing with Premiership standard strikers, and a couple of unfortunate injuries and we will have serious problems.

For all his frustrating tendencies Big Ade is quite capable of turning in a good performance when he is motivated and certainly has the ability. He would also be a good stand in as the main striker if we need to give Soldado a rest.

Unless we have someone already lined up for January, I don't understand us loaning him out, or demotivating him (humiliating him) by sticking him in the reserves. A really good manager does what it takes to get the best out of everyone available to him.

I don't know what has gone on behind the scenes but this seems like poor management of a reasonably valuable asset to me. We are not exactly overflowing with Premiership standard strikers, and a couple of unfortunate injuries and we will have serious problems.

For all his frustrating tendencies Big Ade is quite capable of turning in a good performance when he is motivated and certainly has the ability. He would also be a good stand in as the main striker if we need to give Soldado a rest.

Unless we have someone already lined up for January, I don't understand us loaning him out, or demotivating him (humiliating him) by sticking him in the reserves. A really good manager does what it takes to get the best out of everyone available to him.

Or could be he is entirely uncoachable? Look at his track record, every club he has been to there has been drama. He doesn't quietly go about his business like Dawson, Kaboul, Friedel or Naughton. What frustrates me about him is he does have ability, but he doesn't have the hunger, he never has. He's happy to coast through his career achieving the bare minimum. He really did look like he was going to be the real deal when he was in his heyday at Arsenal, then he gets a big pay rise and voila, his form goes downhill.

I may not rate a player like Sigurdsson for example, but I always admire his determination as you can see things haven't gone for him for the most part since he joined us despite working his ******** off. You can see how disappointed he is when he misplaces or pass or misses an easy chance.

I just can't accept a player who has bags full of ability but can't/won't apply himself.

Or could be he is entirely uncoachable? Look at his track record, every club he has been to there has been drama. He doesn't quietly go about his business like Dawson, Kaboul, Friedel or Naughton. What frustrates me about him is he does have ability, but he doesn't have the hunger, he never has. He's happy to coast through his career achieving the bare minimum. He really did look like he was going to be the real deal when he was in his heyday at Arsenal, then he gets a big pay rise and voila, his form goes downhill.

I may not rate a player like Sigurdsson for example, but I always admire his determination as you can see things haven't gone for him for the most part since he joined us despite working his ******** off. You can see how disappointed he is when he misplaces or pass or misses an easy chance.

I just can't accept a player who has bags full of ability but can't/won't apply himself.

I agree it is very frustrating to see players with all the talent throw away opportunities through lack of desire/motivation/application. But I think strikers are often the least team oriented players in the team and the most needy in terms of praise etc. Surely AVB could still get something from Ade if he wanted to/went around it the right way.

We need him. I don't give a flying **** about all this bollox about his attitude. He scores 1 in 2 when fit.

He is a multi million pound asset to this organisation and he should be treated as such.

:-"

All you would need is a doctors note. Just to say your not mentally right to work and are mourning the loss. If they sacked you then you would take them to the cleaners.
This. Who are these firms people are afraid of getting the sack from if they have to take medically certified time off? They wouldn't be allowed to; you can't just sack people for being ill. I was signed off for three months when I suffered an episode of depression and anxiety with similar causes a couple of years ago. It was no issue whatsoever for my employers and they were absolutely brilliant towards me.

Who knows what the specifics are in Adebayor's case, but one assumes there's a dialogue going on and he hasn't just gone AWOL. Time will tell; if there are deeper issues for him personally and he needs to seek help, well then it'll be none of our business and we'll probably just have to try and understand and be patient.

Back