• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dominic Solanke

Last season Solanke was clocked at a top speed of only 1km less than VDV so he is rapid
He is a real mixture of everything we need
What is against him is he doesn’t have 4/5 seasons of doing it
That could mean he is a one season wonder.. we had one of those in Kane (I jest)
Or he has got better with better players and regular games
Nothing about him last year looked lucky
I wanted Toney, but I’m bloody happy with Solanke
It’s an investment in an area of the pitch that we had issues with last year
It also gives breathing space for lankshear and others in their development

Here’s here to run his socks off, put himself about, disrupt defenders (as Son can’t really), and put the ball in the net. He is proven in all of the above. So meets the brief. Used to the PL and London. Tick tick tick.

I think Ange will push his buttons and push him further. But he needn’t be a brilliant creative force. In this setup he’s a workhorse. And must press, disrupt and tap-in first and foremost.

I haven’t watched his goal reel, does he score many from outside the box?

Here’s here to run his socks off, put himself about, disrupt defenders (as Son can’t really), and put the ball in the net. He is proven in all of the above. So meets the brief. Used to the PL and London. Tick tick tick.

I think Ange will push his buttons and push him further. But he needn’t be a brilliant creative force. In this setup he’s a workhorse. And must press, disrupt and tap-in first and foremost.

From last seasons goals don't recall any outside the box (not to say there wasn't). What I did feel was that he scored a variety of poacher type goals, where I feel he would absolutely take advantage of our balls in from wide areas - I think we've got a good one here....

I just saw a highlight reel from the season that was - only one goal from outside the box that I can recall. Lots of being on the end of things and doing clever little things in the box though!

This is a such an odd post. Ange has to prove “his ability to discern a top player from an average-ok player?”

Are you just negative on everything single possible thing? Here you are throwing in a dig at the manager, whilst also reminding us that you don't rate Richarlison or Solanke. Literally not sure if I’ve ever seen you praise or be positive about the club or it’s players.

I’m positive when it’s warranted but you ignore the positive things people say and focus on the negative. I’m just not a happy clapper and unrealistic. You clearly don’t like anyone saying anything that’s not Uber positive even to the point where you lose your brick when people question your outlandish predictions because you’ve got nothing to back it up other than blind faith. I could say I think we’ll win the treble this season if that will make you happy? And for the umpteenth time, where did I say I don’t rate Solanke? I’ll say again I’m undecided but I guess on here that’s code for I don’t rate him because you have to say every single signing we make is great otherwise I’m not as good as fan as you.

Last edited:
I’m positive when it’s warranted but you ignore the positive things people say and focus on the negative. I’m just not a happy clapper and unrealistic. You clearly don’t like anyone saying anything that’s not Uber positive even to the point where you lose your brick when people question your outlandish predictions because you’ve got nothing to back it up other than blind faith. I could say I think we’ll win the treble this season if that will make you happy? And for the umpteenth time, where did I say I don’t rate Solanke? I’ll say again I’m undecided but I guess on here that’s code for I don’t rate him because you have to say every single signing we make is great otherwise I’m not as good as fan as you.

Lol, you're still bringing up the Wolves prediction? fudging move on mate...

And no, blind faith is not at all what I mean. Funny that that's the only extreme you can go to. I've criticised many on here; most recently Bentancur and Kulusevski.

I did say I’m in the undecided camp when it comes to Solanke so I’m a bit puzzled as to how you’ve interpreted that as I rate him

You either rate someone, or you don't, right. You've said here you don't rate him.

But really...ignoring all that. I'm still laughing at the fact that you say Ange needs to prove his ability to discern talent...and then use your own opinion of a player as proof! Ange -- who has won the Asian Cup, the J.League, everything in Scotland and now managed a top 5 Premier League team -- needs to prove himself, but you, some random bloke on a forum, know enough about spotting players to say Connor Gallagher is no good.

Honestly it's so ridiculous I've had to read your post a bunch of times to make sure that's what you actually said. And you did!

Lol, you're still bringing up the Wolves prediction? fudging move on mate...

And no, blind faith is not at all what I mean. Funny that that's the only extreme you can go to. I've criticised many on here; most recently Bentancur and Kulusevski.

You either rate someone, or you don't, right. You've said here you don't rate him.

But really...ignoring all that. I'm still laughing at the fact that you say Ange needs to prove his ability to discern talent...and then use your own opinion of a player as proof! Ange -- who has won the Asian Cup, the J.League, everything in Scotland and now managed a top 5 Premier League team -- needs to prove himself, but you, some random bloke on a forum, know enough about spotting players to say Connor Gallagher is no good.

Honestly it's so ridiculous I've had to read your post a bunch of times to make sure that's what you actually said. And you did!

I’M UNDECIDED! I don’t know how much clearer I can make that. I really haven’t seen enough of him to make a fair judgement. I’m not going to say he’s going to be brilliant nor why I say I’m unhappy we’ve signed him because I just don’t know.

That’s really nice that you’ve listed all the trophies Ange has won but it’s a completely different standard to managing in the Premier League. I mean the J League? I like Ange and I sincerely hope he wins everything with us but it won’t be because he won the SPL or the J League.

He won’t need too
We set up camp on the edge of the box and cross until we score

What he does do well… and I was shocked, is the midfield passing like Kane used to do. He receives the ball in the middle of the pitch and takes the time to pick a pass wide. That’s something that we have only really seen Kane and Berba do before. With the pace we have wide that’s gonna be a great threat

I’M UNDECIDED! I don’t know how much clearer I can make that. I really haven’t seen enough of him to make a fair judgement. I’m not going to say he’s going to be brilliant nor why I say I’m unhappy we’ve signed him because I just don’t know.

That’s really nice that you’ve listed all the trophies Ange has won but it’s a completely different standard to managing in the Premier League. I mean the J League? I like Ange and I sincerely hope he wins everything with us but it won’t be because he won the SPL or the J League.
But you can only win at the level you’re at. He won the leagues he was in … he may not do that here of course but he can have a go.
I’d argue if he did win something here it would exactly because of the experience of managing and winning in other leagues

I don’t know but I feel you’re missing or avoiding a key question @tommysvr is asking. Why are you more qualified to judge the quality of a player than Ange?

But you can only win at the level you’re at. He won the leagues he was in … he may not do that here of course but he can have a go.
I’d argue if he did win something here it would exactly because of the experience of managing and winning in other leagues

That’s fine. He’s just never managed players of this standard before. I’m not sure how much the club experience of winning the SPL will help him in the PL personally but I understand the argument. I like how he’s not content with finishing 4th and doesn’t see it as success, kind of at odds with how the club views success interestingly.

Right, but undecided means you don’t rate him.

And, as pointed out to you, I’m saying Ange is far more qualified than you to judge talent. Because as far as I know, you’ve not won any of those trophies I listed.

I don’t know but I feel you’re missing or avoiding a key question @tommysvr is asking. Why are you more qualified to judge the quality of a player than Ange?

I didn’t say I was more qualified than Ange to judge the quality of a player. I didn’t think I really needed to spell that out. Otherwise I would be a football manager rather than a project manager. But at this level there’s still an element of him being not as polished or as proven as other managers in the league.

That’s fine. He’s just never managed players of this standard before. I’m not sure how much the club experience of winning the SPL will help him in the PL personally but I understand the argument. I like how he’s not content with finishing 4th and doesn’t see it as success, kind of at odds with how the club views success interestingly.
Pressure
Managing expectation
Teams always wanting to beat you

Right, but undecided means you don’t rate him.

And, as pointed out to you, I’m saying Ange is far more qualified than you to judge talent. Because as far as I know, you’ve not won any of those trophies I listed.

Maybe to you it does, to me it means I’ve not made up my mind either way, I’d like to wait until I see him play for us so I’d appreciate if you stop telling me what I mean when I say I’m undecided. Again I don’t think I really need to spell out that Ange knows more about football than me. When has that stopped other posters in the past criticising previous managers or players? You do seem particularly precious about any criticism of Ange. More so than any other manager we’ve had in recent memory.

I didn’t say I was more qualified than Ange to judge the quality of a player. I didn’t think I really needed to spell that out. Otherwise I would be a football manager rather than a project manager. But at this level there’s still an element of him being not as polished or as proven as other managers in the league.
He is more polished than Arteta
Would you agree on that?
He is also more polished than Arne slot too
I’m saying that because Ange has managed now in multiple countries and one things. Has years of experience too and also done it at international level

You can't be undecided nowadays. There's no withholding judgement and waiting any more. This is the Internet! All in, or all out. No middle ground!

I'm also undecided. I don't not rate him, I just haven't seen enough to make a proper judgement (and I suspect I am in the majority).

Maybe to you it does, to me it means I’ve not made up my mind either way, I’d like to wait until I see him play for us so I’d appreciate if you stop telling me what I mean when I say I’m undecided. Again I don’t think I really need to spell out that Ange knows more about football than me. When has that stopped other posters in the past criticising previous managers or players? You do seem particularly precious about any criticism of Ange. More so than any other manager we’ve had in recent memory.

I couldn’t give two bricks if you criticise Ange. He’s not my dad. Just make it reasonable, rather than “he needs to prove himself because he clearly doesn’t know enough if he rates Connor Gallagher.”

You can't be undecided nowadays. There's no withholding judgement and waiting any more. This is the Internet! All in, or all out. No middle ground!

I'm also undecided. I don't not rate him, I just haven't seen enough to make a proper judgement (and I suspect I am in the majority).

You’re missing the point too. You don’t rate him…there’s nothing wrong with it. But you either rate someone, or you don’t. Not rating them !== you think they’re not good.

Back