• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dominic Solanke

Johnson didn't beat his man even once last season when the ball wasn't played into space for him to run on to. With the way we play, lots of passes and sometimes quite slow your winger does need the beat his man from a standing start as they will often be faced off against a set defense. Johnson has been useless in those situations. Where he does alright is when there's space or we counter a bit quicker. He has his strengths beating set defenders is definitely not one of them.
So the take ons he got last season was just him running past his man and that’s not him beating a defender?

The funny thing is that you all like Isak, but how many of you would have been happy if Levy had splashed out 70 million euros on him 2 years ago? He had never scored more than 17 league goals in a season before. Now you are not gonna get him for much less than £100m. At the time many were saying that 70m euros was overpriced at the time.

Sometimes you have to just take a risk.

Last edited:
So the take ons he got last season was just him running past his man and that’s not him beating a defender?
Yes. Watch him, he never once beat a set defender, the few times he got past a defender it was always running on to a moving ball. He's decent at that, if we were to focus on that by playing longer and earlier passes he'd do even better as isolated against a defender and already ahead it would best utilise his strength, but we don't play like that. We play more slowly and more intricately at which point you need players with good tight control (I don't even you think he posseses this? 😅), to keep the ball in tighter spaces. This is currently a big weakness for him.

The funny think is that you all like Isak, but how many of you would have been happy if Levy had splashed out 70 million euros on him 2 years ago? He had never scored more than 17 league goals in a season before. Now you are not gonna get him for much less than £100m. At the time many were saying that 70m euros was overpriced at the time.

I wouldn’t have fancied the gamble and I rated him
That was a lot of money for a guy who bounced around clubs a bit
He was also never prolific as you say

The funny thing is that you all like Isak, but how many of you would have been happy if Levy had splashed out 70 million euros on him 2 years ago? He had never scored more than 17 league goals in a season before. Now you are not gonna get him for much less than £100m. At the time many were saying that 70m euros was overpriced at the time.

You get resale and progression with a 22 year old. You dont necessarily with a 27 year old

If we buy a striker that actually scores goals we do not need to worry about resale value because we are going to want to keep him.

If he is 22 and brick there will not be much resale value anyway.
Too many get focused on resale value.
My view has always been 'old skool', get the best player we can for the position we need.
We seem to focus on potential and by the time that potential gets realised or not, we tend to lose key players in other positions and the team suffers.
As a kid in the 80's it seemed straightforward, we needed strikers so we got Archibald and Crooks, we needed a bit of grit so we got Roberts. If the first 11 need a striker (which we do) go and get the best we can whether that's Toney or whoever. Personally I would've liked Fulkrug for the next 2-3 years, although I didn't realise he was 31 and £28m so can understand why we've not bid.
FWIW I think we still need a quality 6 (4 in my day) and maybe a RWF.

Back