• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dominic Solanke

Is Toney really a better option? Solanke is 26 and Tony is 28. People complain that Solanke has only scored 19 goals just once, but Toney has only scored 21 goals just once.

I think Solanke is more mobile and has a higher ceiling. I think the price is steep but so was Ndombele and a number of other players I could name.
I think Toney has that arrogance about him and if hes the main man i can see him thriving with us. Solanke i just dont think hes that good, certainly not for 65 mill talked about.

In theory you make a valid point. Last season Richalison showed when fit he gets the job done. And therein lies the rub, he has way too many injuries, his availability simply cannot be relied upon. We need another striker to supplement him.

I don't disagree we need extra cover at CF but neither Toney nor Solanke are worth the money being asked for them and IF you're going to spend 60m you don't want Solanke you want better.

I wouldn't do it. He does have good attributes and of course he was someone who many thought would grow to be a very good striker when he was younger, but last season was so out of the blue form and numbers wise for him that you need to see at least one more season of that level of output before you should spend big on him.

If he were cheap then it might be worst a go, but I've season of scoring isn't worth 65m at his age and profile. We've seen way to many players who have had an out of character hot season where everything fell for them.

Tough one because another season banging in 19 +/- league goals will only raise his price & the interest in him

I think Toney has that arrogance about him and if hes the main man i can see him thriving with us. Solanke i just dont think hes that good, certainly not for 65 mill talked about.
Toney has scored 20 league goals once, in this division. All round game he is no better than Solanke, with the exception that he is probably better at penalties. On the other hand Solanke is younger and more mobile.

No Toney is not a better option, but Solanke isn't the solution either. The problem is the solution is too expensive or unavailable so the best option is to stick with Richarlison as a fit Richarlison is better than Toney or Solanke.
If I am Brentford I simply would not sell Toney now that his replacement is out injured for the rest of the year

I don't disagree we need extra cover at CF but neither Toney nor Solanke are worth the money being asked for them and IF you're going to spend 60m you don't want Solanke you want better.

Better to spend 90m than 60. As you can score an elite level forward?

I remember about 10 years ago - him and Calvert-Lewin used to boss youth international tournaments (U20s WC winners weren't they). Josh Onomah feeding them from midfield, Walker-Peters from RB. None of that squad really ever pushed into the senior England team though.

Who do you suggest?
That was the problem I mentioned earlier. I posted a list of the top 20 goalscorers in Europe last season, they were either too expensive, just moved clubs or attacking midfielders. There are no suitable strikers at a price worth paying so we have to stick with what we have or pay over the top for Isak or Osimhen. Neither option is perfect.

65 M on him would be robbery. He does not move the needle in terms of our attacking quality. Richy when fit is a better player.

If we do spend that on him and looking at our options we would have spent 150m odd on Richy , Johnson and Solanke. That does not look like good business all in in my view.
When you look at those figures and then the players that would be a travesty and potentially worth instigating a fraud enquiry. 😅

I think Johnson’s buffers because he hasn’t played with a striker
We may see a different player if we have a CF for him to work with
No Johnson suffers because he has 0 ability to beat a man with the ball at his feet. If he had any dribbling ability along with his speed he would be a very dangerous player, as it is he relies on others to work the ball into good positions for him to take it on in space and clear.

The addition of a top striker isn't going to change his rather basic skillset, and lack of dribbling ability.

No Johnson suffers because has 0 ability to beat a man with the ball at his feet. If he had any dribbling ability along with his speed he would be a very dangerous player, as it is he relies on others to work the ball into good positions for him to take it on in space and clear.

The addition of a top striker isn't going to change his rather basic skillset, and lack of dribbling ability.
The addition of a striker who stays central and occupied the CBs makes a huge difference to any winger
He also does beat men but you will never agree to that
He uses his pace because it’s a differentiator
He ain’t a dribbly winger to quote some fans demands

The addition of a striker who stays central and occupied the CBs makes a huge difference to any winger
He also does beat men but you will never agree to that
He uses his pace because it’s a differentiator
He ain’t a dribbly winger to quote some fans demands
Johnson didn't beat his man even once last season when the ball wasn't played into space for him to run on to. With the way we play, lots of passes and sometimes quite slow your winger does need the beat his man from a standing start as they will often be faced off against a set defense. Johnson has been useless in those situations. Where he does alright is when there's space or we counter a bit quicker. He has his strengths beating set defenders is definitely not one of them.

Back