• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

Which is great. Ange should encourage him. But also let him know he has to keep it up.

Think some are trying to defend spence too much. There have obviously been issues the last few years. Whatever they are we don't know for sure. All we know is that consecutive managers haven't been massively impressed by him. People trying to put it down to everyone being racist or that he has some hidden mental problems that he hasn't sought help for.

We all want him to be fantastic for us. Hopefully he can be.
Not sure about defending Spence, just looking at it for what it is. He was previously loaned out without much of a thought.

Now he has been given opportunity in pre season, performed well in pre season and from the horses mouth impressed everyone and clearly his attitude has been part of that impression. If those comments were attributed to any player other than Spence they would not be viewed so ominously as they have been by a few on here....

IMG_7194.png

Not sure about defending Spence, just looking at it for what it is. He was previously loaned out without much of a thought.

Now he has been given opportunity in pre season, performed well in pre season and from the horses mouth impressed everyone and clearly his attitude has been part of that impression. If those comments were attributed to any player other than Spence they would not be viewed so ominously as they have been by a few on here....

View attachment 17457

Why was he loaned out? Repeatedly. Why did leeds send him back early? With their manager questioning his application? Why did fulham release him citing his application? Why did forest loan him? With warnock saying it was up to him to be good or crap (paraphrasing).

Once, ok. Twice erm..

It doesn't matter. He keeps doing what he's doing he'll have a place. WHICH IS WHAT WE ALL WANT. Otherwise he won't.

Why was he loaned out? Repeatedly. Why did leeds send him back early? With their manager questioning his application? Why did fulham release him citing his application? Why did forest loan him? With warnock saying it was up to him to be good or crap (paraphrasing).

Once, ok. Twice erm..

It doesn't matter. He keeps doing what he's doing he'll have a place. WHICH IS WHAT WE ALL WANT. Otherwise he won't.
Agree with your last paragraph. But I'm not sure what the rest is about, I'm talking directly about Anges comments right now and Spence situation right now - Ange made it clear Spence wasn't in his plans previously, the above quotes are literally saying the opposite and that of course it's all down to him now. You and a couple of others were suggesting the quotes weren't that encouraging when they quite clearly are....

Once, ok. Twice erm..

There was an issue with his attitude that many highlighted. Maybe he's grown up and realised he is going to waste his career if he doesn't change.
Ange said his attitude has been very good so would take that at face value and something he is highlighting due to his past. If that continues, and hopefully it does, he has every chance of nailing down at least a spot as back up to Porro.

He's challenging him to deliver. Its a theme. Bissouma scored preseason. Ange emphasised it doesn't count for shi1 if he can't deliver in games. And that is the theme this season. Deliver in games. Showing promise isn't good enough.

As for Spence he looks awesome. Would be very happy to have him rotating and covering Poro as well as Udogie.

Do the naysayers who called him a Levy signing, now praise Levy (even though he probably wasn't a "Levy signing").
He was definitely a club signing. Conte was very direct about that. It's largely why he didn't play him initially.

He's challenging him to deliver. Its a theme. Bissouma scored preseason. Ange emphasised it doesn't count for shi1 if he can't deliver in games. And that is the theme this season. Deliver in games. Showing promise isn't good enough.

As for Spence he looks awesome. Would be very happy to have him rotating and covering Poro as well as Udogie.

Do the naysayers who called him a Levy signing, now praise Levy (even though he probably wasn't a "Levy signing").

He was.
And I don't think 'naysayers' would even get into a spot of 'naysaying' TBH. It was clear from the get-go that Conte didn't want him/he was a 'club signing' and it was also clear that the player could not seem to do anything to force his way in. I think most would say that Ange offered a clean slate this summer, and the player has learned on his loans, challenged himself, and stepped up. If it pans out to fruition, it's simply a greart story.

Kid has matured. He deserves an opportunity at Spurs. I will be very happy to give him a chance if I had any day in it. Ange does and Ange wants to give him one. Good enough for me. Here is to him being a future great for Spurs. What a lovely story it would be.
So you have come to this conclusion after a couple of pre season friendlies and a couple of quotes from Ange?

I don't usually watch all the PR vids on OS but my grandson told me to watch "The Season" I was impressed to hear what the coaches said and the clips where players were told it didn't matter if it didn't work or they made a mistake. Perhaps that approach works for Djed, nothing worse than having to repeat same drill over and over until you all get it right, as it rarely happens that way in matches.

So you have come to this conclusion after a couple of pre season friendlies and a couple of quotes from Ange?
He was bombed out so quickly the last two times, you've got to assume something has changed now.

A few weeks ago we were begging Genoa to take him for £8m. Now he seems a contender for our primary FB cover

I don't think it's as clear cut "he had a bad attitude". There were also two other established pros ahead of him in Porro (who has only been here 6months when Ange joined) and Emerson.
Spence wouldn't have got a look in.
Add his attitude at the time that pointed towards (and it's nothing more than that - we're not talking Joey Barton here; more just a kid with an inflated opinion of what they'd achieved and a social media presence) not being fully ready for mens football at the highest level.

It made sense to loan him out. Give him a different experience. Give Ange the focus on the core squad. Remove any risk of Spence reacting badly to not playing.
Spence has spoken a lot about being determined to make it here. That need encouraging and nurturing. Th raw talent is there.

He got a huge telling off from Vicario for the first Bayern goal yesterday. Seemed a bit harsh from where I was sitting! Other than that, looked quite good and definitely not out of place

Vicario was at fault for that first goal. I hope he doesn't regress this season but instead improves. He needs to be stronger. Other clubs have been studying him.

Vicario was at fault for that first goal. I hope he doesn't regress this season but instead improves. He needs to be stronger. Other clubs have been studying him.
The regression comment was my thought too
We have seen it before
But his whole career has been about him professing and stepping up TBF

He made a bad decision for that pass, but he made some outstanding saves too, including the one straight after that pass to Spence. In fact, both of their goals were unfortunately rebounds from great saves he made.

The pass is what Ange wants. Be brave and take risks, Ange will take the blame when it goes wrong. When it does do wrong, it looks really bad…but I think the pay off is there when it works.

He made a bad decision for that pass, but he made some outstanding saves too, including the one straight after that pass to Spence. In fact, both of their goals were unfortunately rebounds from great saves he made.

The pass is what Ange wants. Be brave and take risks, Ange will take the blame when it goes wrong. When it does do wrong, it looks really bad…but I think the pay off is there when it works.
i can't believe that ange wants the goalie to pass to a player near the penalty spot, seems highly inefficient. just get the player further away so that the keeper has more options. vicario should have just shooed spence away instead of passing, and should have noticed the risk of the oncoming player.

one thing about vicario is he is a bit like pickford who is on an adrenaline rush the entire game. from my own observation these type of players are bound to make mistakes sooner or later from tunnel vision or overreacting.

Spot on for me.

Ange is happy with what he has done so far in preseason, but the key is keeping that up, consistently working hard throughout the season. That's what it will take and that's the challenge, and Ange can't know yet how he will respond to that challenge.

Back