• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Pleat

I think there was a very simple way to have dealt with David Pleat. Tell him he is absolutely welcome to any match whenever he wants, complete with lunch or dinner or whatever executive priviliges are necessary. Like it or not the man was a big opart of our club for decades, and should be treated with that sort of respect. Saying he will be welcome 'subject to availability' is actually terrible.

I think that comes down to what we know and don't though, he might have got that message from someone on the phone and not from Daniel. Given he was a holder of a Redzone pass during Covid from the club (I know because I managed them) when clubs were limited to 26 passes for players and staff I think he has greater stock than the "on availability" quote. Given that most legends and players are given tickets frequently I think, although admit I am guessing, I think he would be welcomed every single time.

At the end of the day who knows, as per usual I doubt Levy will even mention it, if at all we hear from him at all this year

I think that comes down to what we know and don't though, he might have got that message from someone on the phone and not from Daniel. Given he was a holder of a Redzone pass during Covid from the club (I know because I managed them) when clubs were limited to 26 passes for players and staff I think he has greater stock than the "on availability" quote. Given that most legends and players are given tickets frequently I think, although admit I am guessing, I think he would be welcomed every single time.

At the end of the day who knows, as per usual I doubt Levy will even mention it, if at all we hear from him at all this year

Indeed, it is on his word that I posted what I posted. If the club, in fact, did not say that to him, then the conclusion would be he is a combination of bitter and bonkers.

My understanding is that the type of thing Pleat was asking for was ended a long time ago by the club. If Pleat had got his way and utilised the club as a resource for his own charitable work then it would have set a precedent and the floodgates may have opened again. Just have a think about how many ex-players and staff there are and what would happen if all of they all just wanted these gestures from the club. I think it is also fair to say that this would be a distraction from the great work the club do through their own charitable trust. As a senior long term member of the club he should have known that he was asking them to go against club policy and make him an exception.

My understanding is that the type of thing Pleat was asking for was ended a long time ago by the club. If Pleat had got his way and utilised the club as a resource for his own charitable work then it would have set a precedent and the floodgates may have opened again. Just have a think about how many ex-players and staff there are and what would happen if all of they all just wanted these gestures from the club. I think it is also fair to say that this would be a distraction from the great work the club do through their own charitable trust. As a senior long term member of the club he should have known that he was asking them to go against club policy and make him an exception.
A point I think it's missed. You have to make a decision on what's available and what's sentiment. Give to Pleat you have to give to all who wore the batch with, in fairness, more distinction than him (that's not a dig BTW).

We all wanna do nice things for all people all the time, reality is there isn't the scope to do so

That is a good point well made and makes sense. To be honest Pleat gave me one of my favourite seasons as a supporter[86-87] where we played some of the best football i had seen but just run out of steam at the end because of the amount of games in such a short period. But its a excuse for the Levy out phalanx to start up again i guess.

I never really get why people want to keep going back to where they use to work, I worked at my last company 35 years and have only gone back 3 times for retirement parties for colleagues. When you leave you got to move on.

I never really get why people want to keep going back to where they use to work, I worked at my last company 35 years and have only gone back 3 times for retirement parties for colleagues. When you leave you got to move on.
I think it’s a bit different wanting to come back to watch us play football to most going-back-to-place-of-work scenarios.
Though thinking about it, perhaps he does deserve more if he’s actively wanting to do that!

I think it’s a bit different wanting to come back to watch us play football to most going-back-to-place-of-work scenarios.
Though thinking about it, perhaps he does deserve more if he’s actively wanting to do that!

I suppose its different, can't be many who want to watch us play football, lots want to see us win.

That is a good point well made and makes sense. To be honest Pleat gave me one of my favourite seasons as a supporter[86-87] where we played some of the best football i had seen but just run out of steam at the end because of the amount of games in such a short period. But its a excuse for the Levy out phalanx to start up again i guess.

Curiosity got the better of me. I had to go and look back at that squad. It was so interesting.

You had prime Gough and Mabbsy at centre half. The old men were Clemence and Ardiles and the stars were Hoddle and Waddle. The new kid was Hodge and, obviously, the tap in King was Clive Allen who was also playing in the same team as cousin Paul. It was the year that Graham Roberts went to Rangers and also the sadness of us all seeing the impressive Danny Thomas missing through that injury. Hughton and Galvin were still around. Mitchell Thomas was the LB.

If you looked at the younger crowd listed you had Howells, Samways, Ruddock and Polston. The latter was also joined by Mark Bowen who was 23 but not getting game time. They left and joined Culverhouse and Crook who had that amazing European run for Norwich under Mike Walker only 3 years later.

Like you, but I had real belief in that Pleat side.

Curiosity got the better of me. I had to go and look back at that squad. It was so interesting.

You had prime Gough and Mabbsy at centre half. The old men were Clemence and Ardiles and the stars were Hoddle and Waddle. The new kid was Hodge and, obviously, the tap in King was Clive Allen who was also playing in the same team as cousin Paul. It was the year that Graham Roberts went to Rangers and also the sadness of us all seeing the impressive Danny Thomas missing through that injury. Hughton and Galvin were still around. Mitchell Thomas was the LB.

If you looked at the younger crowd listed you had Howells, Samways, Ruddock and Polston. The latter was also joined by Mark Bowen who was 23 but not getting game time. They left and joined Culverhouse and Crook who had that amazing European run for Norwich under Mike Walker only 3 years later.

Like you, but I had real belief in that Pleat side.

You look at those names and see 3/4 world class players and 3 top class, they played in a system but it was a free flowing system which allowed the opportunity to express themselves.

Indeed, it is on his word that I posted what I posted. If the club, in fact, did not say that to him, then the conclusion would be he is a combination of bitter and bonkers.
Would also be the opposite of what Lange said in the video interview in the summer about our transfer dealings.

Where we have identified players then checks (scouting) was done on top.

I'm guessing we use data more then before but then once that identifies the players we have eyes on them.

You look at those names and see 3/4 world class players and 3 top class, they played in a system but it was a free flowing system which allowed the opportunity to express themselves.

True, but at the time the media narrative was against us for playing one up top in a 4-5-1. It wasn't the Spurs way apparently.

Back