• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Pleat

Absolutely. The truth lies somewhere in the middle: he’s made us a highly successful business, but has not managed to use that foundation to bring real success on the football field. He also struggles to manage his own, and the club’s, PR.

Fans can't agree who is a legend which is telling and making tough decisions which upset people doesn't always equate to poor PR IMO.

Pleat IMO is operating his own level of PR with this story which I don't think is the same as the club poor managing its own, some decisions won't be popular with individuals, that's life.

Absolutely. The truth lies somewhere in the middle: he’s made us a highly successful business, but has not managed to use that foundation to bring real success on the football field. He also struggles to manage his own, and the club’s, PR.
I don't think he struggles. I think he doesn't give a f**k. Or maybe that's a bit harsh. He just tries to rise above it because, no matter what he does or says, people will judge it through the lens of their pre-conceived bias and there are a lot of people out there who don't like Levy. It's a very ballsy strategy, I couldn't do it in a million years.

I don't think he struggles. I think he doesn't give a f**k. Or maybe that's a bit harsh. He just tries to rise above it because, no matter what he does or says, people will judge it through the lens of their pre-conceived bias and there are a lot of people out there who don't like Levy. It's a very ballsy strategy, I couldn't do it in a million years.
Absolutely and also operating from an arena where we can't even imagine the decision making needed to do so. The hardest decision most make today is what's for lunch

My impression of him from the Amazon documentary was that he absolutely gives a f uck. To a surprising degree, in fact.

Most aren’t paid millions a year. It’s his job.
Yep and he isn't moaning about it and continues to make those tough decisions, I'm the one putting that perspective on it.

Fact remains its easy to microscope every decision and how we would do differently or better when in fact, highly likely we wouldn't know where to start or be able to.

Pleat hasn't historically been treated badly by this club, in fact the total opposite, if people are letting sentimentality cloud their judgement on if the guys even a legend or not then I'm glad someone else is making those tough decisions TBH

Last edited:
I'm not too clued up on Pleat. Can someone give me a brief summary as to why he's a legend? It's not a cynical question, i genuinely don't know much about him apart from he managed a good team of ours for a short spell and has been in and around our scouting for years

My impression of him from the Amazon documentary was that he absolutely gives a f uck. To a surprising degree, in fact.
Not to the extent that he wishes to engage with the media or do the PR bit. He doesn't even do a huge amount of communication through official club channels where he could manage the message. Maybe he gives a f**k but knows that the media game is not one he can win/control and he's clever and stubborn enough to not even waste him time and energy on it.

I think you have got it spot on with that.

Not to the extent that he wishes to engage with the media or do the PR bit. He doesn't even do a huge amount of communication through official club channels where he could manage the message. Maybe he gives a f**k but knows that the media game is not one he can win/control and he's clever and stubborn enough to not even waste him time and energy on it.
I don’t think any organisation is going to get into a public spat with a former employee (or contractor - not sure the basis under which Pleat worked for us). In this case, however bad the optics might look, I’d bet most fans know little about it, and it will become old news a lot quicker if there’s no comment made.

And loads who love every action he takes. No one is unbiased.

I will go a step further and speculate that he operates on the spectrum in some senses. His attention to detail on matters he finds high priorty is absolutely incredible; you only have to look back at his obsession with the stadium roof...

I think there was a very simple way to have dealt with David Pleat. Tell him he is absolutely welcome to any match whenever he wants, complete with lunch or dinner or whatever executive priviliges are necessary. Like it or not the man was a big opart of our club for decades, and should be treated with that sort of respect. Saying he will be welcome 'subject to availability' is actually terrible.

I think there was a very simple way to have dealt with David Pleat. Tell him he is absolutely welcome to any match whenever he wants, complete with lunch or dinner or whatever executive priviliges are necessary. Like it or not the man was a big opart of our club for decades, and should be treated with that sort of respect. Saying he will be welcome 'subject to availability' is actually terrible.
Giving a room over to a book launch where proceeds are going to charity should nit have been difficult.

Dont think Pleat is a legend, but a loyal club servant.

Considering players like Sandro (hardly a legend by anyone's stretch) has that welcome, what does that tell you?

Lets be clear, I have no fudging clue what played out here, the facts say Levy kept Pleat though multiple managers/DoF's so clearly has been supportive, the club is pivoting to a place that is much more data driven (which Pleat is basically saying he doesn't believe in) and football decisions are moving away from Levy in general. All of that is fact, and in that Pleat suddenly finds himself on the out.

If I was to take a wild ass, speculative guess, Pleat's perspective is not in line with our Technical Director/DoF/new scouting model and he was told his services are no longer required (perhaps prompted by brick like "I believe in eyes and ears". Again, guessing time, he went to Levy expecting to be backed, didn't get it, he's decided to throw the club under the bus. And brick PR doesn't get you favours.

Giving a room over to a book launch where proceeds are going to charity should nit have been difficult.

Dont think Pleat is a legend, but a loyal club servant.

Indeed, and if there is (as I have heard) an exclusivity deal which precludes any other book from being promoted, make a donation to the charity benefitting from his book. Gestures are worthwhile!

Considering players like Sandro (hardly a legend by anyone's stretch) has that welcome, what does that tell you?

Lets be clear, I have no fudging clue what played out here, the facts say Levy kept Pleat though multiple managers/DoF's so clearly has been supportive, the club is pivoting to a place that is much more data driven (which Pleat is basically saying he doesn't believe in) and football decisions are moving away from Levy in general. All of that is fact, and in that Pleat suddenly finds himself on the out.

If I was to take a wild ass, speculative guess, Pleat's perspective is not in line with our Technical Director/DoF/new scouting model and he was told his services are no longer required (perhaps prompted by brick like "I believe in eyes and ears". Again, guessing time, he went to Levy expecting to be backed, didn't get it, he's decided to throw the club under the bus. And brick PR doesn't get you favours.

OR he is an old fella who has given decades to the club, is not part of this 'new path forwards' and consequently, as a club, we do things with class and proactivity to make sure that he feels appreciated and welcome. It's an own goal we didn't need to score.

OR he is an old fella who has given decades to the club, is not part of this 'new path forwards' and consequently, as a club, we do things with class and proactivity to make sure that he feels appreciated and welcome. It's an own goal we didn't need to score.

Like I said, none of us know, he has chosen a public path, the club will do as they always do and not comment ..

Back