• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Pleat

That 86/87 season when he was in full charge was one of the best i have seen. We came so close to winning a couple of things but in the end it was the number of games in the run in that killed us. Met him on a few occasions and he was a really nice guy.

Personally, I was glad to see Pleat (the football scout) swept out with the new broom. Pleat (the manager) has a place in our history. Just ask Clive Allen. As a scout though, forget it.

Pleat was part of the stupid underperforming culture we had in our recruitment team.

Take Dele as an example. I find it embarrassing that Pleat tries to take credit for Dele. Paul Mitchell was still a player at MK Dons when Dele was emerging as a kid, and when Paul had to retire from football at a seriously young age (27?). He then took multiple roles at MK Dons and knew Dele personally, the amazing teenager. It was so obvious that the reason Dele joined Spurs (over teams like Liverpool) was that Mitchell knew him inside and out and had the influence to bring him to Spurs after he moved with Poch from Saints. However, Pleat did his normal BS and made sure that the credit went his direction. When interviewed, he would always do the spin, and bring the credit and attention to himself. It was shameful self promotion because guys like Pleat couldn't find the talent we needed.

This is Pleats recruitment - Doherty, Gardner, Davies, Etherington, McEwen. Spent all the club's summer budget on a load of dross.

I'd love to know how Pleat recruited Maddison. Even I knew he was a good player at Coventry. When he was at Norwich, the entire world knew.

What this is really about is Levy's lack of football DNA. Putting his trust in Pleat because he is a nice guy, but not seeing the bigger picture. It goes very well with the empty trophy cabinet.

Personally, I was glad to see Pleat (the football scout) swept out with the new broom. Pleat (the manager) has a place in our history. Just ask Clive Allen. As a scout though, forget it.

Pleat was part of the stupid underperforming culture we had in our recruitment team.

Take Dele as an example. I find it embarrassing that Pleat tries to take credit for Dele. Paul Mitchell was still a player at MK Dons when Dele was emerging as a kid, and when Paul had to retire from football at a seriously young age (27?). He then took multiple roles at MK Dons and knew Dele personally, the amazing teenager. It was so obvious that the reason Dele joined Spurs (over teams like Liverpool) was that Mitchell knew him inside and out and had the influence to bring him to Spurs after he moved with Poch from Saints. However, Pleat did his normal BS and made sure that the credit went his direction. When interviewed, he would always do the spin, and bring the credit and attention to himself. It was shameful self promotion because guys like Pleat couldn't find the talent we needed.

This is Pleats recruitment - Doherty, Gardner, Davies, Etherington, McEwen. Spent all the club's summer budget on a load of dross.

I'd love to know how Pleat recruited Maddison. Even I knew he was a good player at Coventry. When he was at Norwich, the entire world knew.

What this is really about is Levy's lack of football DNA. Putting his trust in Pleat because he is a nice guy, but not seeing the bigger picture. It goes very well with the empty trophy cabinet.
Think he mentioned in commentary once that he signed Robbie Keane.

I remember really loving the football and having high hopes for pleat, when news broke that he got caught "kerb crawling".
Doubt you would even get sacked for that these days.

Funny how times have changed, if an ex manager said on TV he did not want to listen to women talking about football he would probably never work again. I guess you live long enough you get to see things flip on their head.

I remember really loving the football and having high hopes for pleat, when news broke that he got caught "kerb crawling".

The way he talks about it, that did t happen
The old Luton chairman put a story out there via his paper colleagues and got him sacked

The way he talks about it, that did t happen
The old Luton chairman put a story out there via his paper colleagues and got him sacked

Interesting..i was heartbroken when Pleat left..he was the first manager i knew as a supporter.

I have never heard this bit about the old Luton chairman leaking stories against Pleat; can you elaborate on this a bit more please?

Interesting..i was heartbroken when Pleat left..he was the first manager i knew as a supporter.

I have never heard this bit about the old Luton chairman leaking stories against Pleat; can you elaborate on this a bit more please?
Listen to him on the spurs show pod
Sounds like the then Luton chairman used his mates in the press to plant the story
He was bitter about Pleat leaving and it was an old men’s club for the chairmen back then

Listen to him on the spurs show pod
Sounds like the then Luton chairman used his mates in the press to plant the story
He was bitter about Pleat leaving and it was an old men’s club for the chairmen back then
That was David Evans right? Tory MP and the one who banned all away fans from attending Luton games.

I always thought he was scouting for the putative Spurs Ladies team.

Back