• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

It's obviouly not solely down to rule breakers but clearly raves with 8K people attending aren't exactly within the rules nor are the hundreds of house parties broken up every weekend as an example.

The issue is you can't mention rule breakers or potential rule breakers because people think its blame.

You make it sound like you wanted a martial law style lockdown.

When people say we didn't have a proper lockdown I'm not sure I really understand, the only countries I'm aware of with stricter lockdowns were place like France where you needed a naughty slip to be allowed out and Spain where even young children weren't allowed to leave their house for 2 months. Is that really what you wanted here?

It's obviouly not solely down to rule breakers but clearly raves with 8K people attending aren't exactly within the rules nor are the hundreds of house parties broken up every weekend as an example.

You make it sound like you're a government apologist :)

Yes, some kind of authoritarian, decisive action probably would have limited the harm caused. Look at China, or Korea. Or New Zealand, Australia, Germany etc. I personally wouldn't have minded a Swedish approach. The point is, whatever measures you take, do them well and with conviction. Our government did neither. And that is why people in the UK will sadly suffer more than in other nations.

The issue is you can't mention rule breakers or potential rule breakers because people think its blame.

you can certainly blame them and also the government in not taking them with them

These raves were after 5/6 months - after the gov had lost all authority And moral high ground.

the gov have hidden behind “following the science” without explaining it and making stuff up saying it’s done to science.

labour need to start opposing as well.

And I think the time is over for those not in the danger zone to have to keep feeling guilty for it.

Life can safely go back to some normality of people do the right thing

Sick to death about petty arguments about 10pm and 11pm pub times when we have thousands of people at home wanting to have the chance to work and survive

The whole thing is pathetic

People who just want to work are branded as selfish by those able to WFH and not be affected and celebrities - amazing irony really

Given the fact that it effects so few people I'd consider both aspects very low risk.

"Given the current position that it affects a small volume of (known) people I'd consider both aspects very low risk; however it should be noted that the impact has the potential to be high and if the numbers were to increase it could have impacts across a range of factors in society, not limited to public health factors."

Did a little tweak for you.
At present it is small in both volume and significant impact, hopefully it stays that way. But it should not be dismissed as irrelevant yet.

You make it sound like you're a government apologist :)

Yes, some kind of authoritarian, decisive action probably would have limited the harm caused. Look at China, or Korea. Or New Zealand, Australia, Germany etc. I personally wouldn't have minded a Swedish approach. The point is, whatever measures you take, do them well and with conviction. Our government did neither. And that is why people in the UK will sadly suffer more than in other nations.

Nice polticians answer of avoiding the question :)

You said we didn't lock down hard enough, that's nothing to do with timing of lockdown. You make it sound like you think the lockdown wasn't strict enough so I'm wondering what additional measures you'd have put in place?

I agree if you are going to lockdown you do it swiftly, the week of pubs can open but please don't go should have been the start of lockdown however on the flipside the stats show that we'd peaked prior to the actual lockdown starting so no one can say definitively what should have happened.

Nice polticians answer of avoiding the question :)

You said we didn't lock down hard enough, that's nothing to do with timing of lockdown. You make it sound like you think the lockdown wasn't strict enough so I'm wondering what additional measures you'd have put in place?

I agree if you are going to lockdown you do it swiftly, the week of pubs can open but please don't go should have been the start of lockdown however on the flipside the stats show that we'd peaked prior to the actual lockdown starting so no one can say definitively what should have happened.

No. 1 is to be better prepared. Around December/Jan governments were observing what was going on, and planning. in Feburary, our PM skipped 5 Cobra meetings!! Five! The Times headline is the UK Sleepwalking into Disaster. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...n-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

If you are to lockdown - make sure it works!! If you are going to close the nation, do it well! Make sure it is for a reason, not just going through the motions. And get testing and tracking in place to maintain things when you open up. Ensure visitors are screened. Secure the nation. The faster and more stringent the lockdown the quicker the UK recovers. In theory, a two week draconian lockdown should get things under control.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but even at the time, people were calling for the right things - faster action, better testing etc. Our government were the least prepared it seems.

Last edited:
No. 1 is to be better prepared. Around December/Jan governments were observing what was going on, and planning. in Feburary, our PM skipped 5 Cobra meetings!! Five! The Times headline is the UK Sleepwalking into Disaster. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...n-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

If you are to lockdown - make sure it works!! If you are going to close the nation, do it well! Make sure it is for a reason, not just going through the motions. And get testing and tracking in place to maintain things when you open up. Ensure visitors are screened. Secure the nation. The faster and more stringent the lockdown the quicker the UK recovers. In theory, a two week draconian lockdown should get things under control.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but even at the time, people were calling for the right things - faster action, better testing etc. Our government were the least prepared it seems.

The sad thing is we’re repeating the same process. Nadine Dorries now saying hospitals in some areas are 10 days away from being overwhelmed - which means actions taken now are already too late.

I thought the main points of the lockdown were to slow the number of hospitalisations and to allow time for the track and system to be implemented.

If we do need another lockdown it's largely because the first one was wasted by this incompetent government.

This is a genuine question, what can we take from this?

I haven't seen any figures but an increase sadly would't surprise me...

There has been an increase. Record number of calls on domestic and child abuse too over the last few months.

Locking people away is not the answer

I thought the main points of the lockdown were to slow the number of hospitalisations and to allow time for the track and system to be implemented.

If we do need another lockdown it's largely because the first one was wasted by this incompetent government.

But even if track and trace works coming out of lockdown means infections would increase, track and trace does not stop that, we just know where they are.

Another Lockdown comes from the fact we went into a first lockdown because now the country is sh1tting its self at the increase of infections which were alway going to go back up back when we went back into society.

Lockdown was a success but it came at a price which was wait till the vaccine otherwise any increase in infections are met with hysteria

But even if track and trace works coming out of lockdown means infections would increase, track and trace does not stop that, we just know where they are.

Another Lockdown comes from the fact we went into a first lockdown because now the country is sh1tting its self at the increase of infections which were alway going to go back up back when we went back into society.

Lockdown was a success but it came at a price which was wait till the vaccine otherwise any increase in infections are met with hysteria
Is it?

An effective track and trace system coupled with enforced quarantine, would slow the numbers of infections greatly. That should have been the plan.

An effective track and trace system coupled with enforced quarantine, would slow the numbers of infections greatly. That should have been the plan.

Yeh but then again so would the realization that the initial infection attacked and unfortunately killed the most vulnerable....globally, thats how all diseases work.

We know enough about the thing not to lockdown again but as long as people keep staring at the infection rate like its a clock then we have no hope

Yeh but then again so would the realization that the initial infection attacked and unfortunately killed the most vulnerable....globally, thats how all diseases work.

We know enough about the thing not to lockdown again but as long as people keep staring at the infection rate like its a clock then we have no hope

The absence of hope for me is seeing the number of people not doing the right things, distancing, mask wearing, etc.

The threat of another lockdown is from the government, no? I don't see or hear anyone bricking themselves. Where do you live that everyone is bricking themselves? Or are you basing this on the media?

I meant the government, they are the ones that decide if we go into a lockdown

The threat of another lockdown is from the government, no? I don't see or hear anyone bricking themselves. Where do you live that everyone is bricking themselves? Or are you basing this on the media?

London is okay as things stand. Some areas in the North were seeing people admitted to hospital at rates seen in April. Which was a concern. I don't know if that was a blip, but if not, 'local lockdowns' are probably needed. Just to ensure hospitals don't become consumed by Covid - and to stop the NHS going back to being the 'National Covid Service'.

Back