• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Ok just to make things clear. Poch, redknapp, jol, i didn't want sacked at the time. Could understand the reasoning, but didn't agree.

Ramos and avb needed to go. Unfortunate but think it had to be done.

Conte has tinkled me off today. Stuck up for him and he slapped us in the face. Actively looking to harm our chances.

Ok just to make things clear. Poch, redknapp, jol, i didn't want sacked at the time. Could understand the reasoning, but didn't agree.

Ramos and avb needed to go. Unfortunate but think it had to be done.

Conte has tinkled me off today. Stuck up for him and he slapped us in the face. Actively looking to harm our chances.
He is looking to sabotage things and blame everyone else so he comes out looking good

He set us out with a low block counter attacking strategy against the team bottom of the league who had only scored 11 goals at home all season, and did not even change tactics when they lost their two first choice central defenders but he does not want to take any if the criticism.

I think he was overpaid at £15m a year, and his time should be up now.

There is a lot of blame to be apportioned for this brick show to both the management (on the field and off) and the players, but the key for me is that Conte's style is not Spurs and neither was Mourinho's so the fans patience was always going to be tested if no trophies appeared. I can see why Levy did it. His gamble on one of 'the end justifies the means' type managers was an attempt to break a generations-long losing streak. But Conte's style requires a mentality that does not exist at Spurs nor has in my adult life. He needs players that put winning above all else and give every single fudging thing they have to make it happen, and in every match too. I don't think we have any of those players. Actually, I can't think of one, and so on this point, he's right. We're congenital losers.

Now you might argue that Conte is paid well to instill this mentality in our players and that is a very valid point. I'd say with a high degree of confidence this was exactly what he was brought in to do and he should be doing far better, but I still come back to the raw material he has to work with. No matter how many Al Pacino inches speeches he gives it won't make a difference. These players are not winners and Conte is not good enough to make them into ones.
Levy wanted to run before he could walk by appointing Conte. We needed a rebuild after sacking Poch. We were no where near completing that rebuild when he appointed Conte.

For Conte to be successful you needed to have the right players already at the club, or be able to buy them quickly. He doesn't improve players. His skill is to take a team with top quality players and imbue a system that makes them win trophies. They become almost machine like.

Spurs, not having the top quality players, need a manager who could make the team better than the sum of its parts. A Poch type manager, a fact lost on many fans on here who thought, like Levy, Jose and Conte could come in and turn water to wine.

I disagree that we don't have any of those types of players here. Kane is outstanding, you don't break the kind of records that he does without having the sort of Mentality Conte demands. And Lloris has been a world champion. We also know that players who have left Spurs have won trophies when playing with better players.

We just don't have enough of those players though. Some decent players have been bought by Paratici added to some already decent, almost world class players like Son.

So this relationship between Conte and Spurs was destined to end this way. Several posters predicted it. Back to the drawing board I guess. The right manager can come in and have a decent squad at his disposal. Not world beaters, Kane aside, but good enough to mould into winners as long as he is supported with the additional players that he needs.

Pleasantly surprised that I'm not in as big a minority as I thought I would be.
Due to a very dodgy stream i didn't see the game today, so can't really comment on that, i did listen to the radio coverage, turned it on just as perisic scored.

I was happy when conte came in, if it worked great, we win a trophy and get this monkey off our back and the club moving forward. Thought it unlikely, but that's what supporting spurs is all about, that four letter word.
If it didn't work out conte was never going to do a Jose and quietly leave. He was going to let rip and say stuff that to be perfectly honest is long over due being said.
Decisions, big decisions, at the club need to be made and we'd be as well making them now.
If coaches or players aren't going to be here in 15 months time move them on or drop them.

Lol - Romano saying he's made his decision to leave and is just figuring out how to communicate that in the summer.

Mate, I don't think you will need to worry about that beyond the next 48 hours. :p

Levy wanted to run before he could walk by appointing Conte. We needed a rebuild after sacking Poch. We were no where near completing that rebuild when he appointed Conte.

For Conte to be successful you needed to have the right players already at the club, or be able to buy them quickly. He doesn't improve players. His skill is to take a team with top quality players and imbue a system that makes them win trophies. They become almost machine like.

Spurs, not having the top quality players, need a manager who could make the team better than the sum of its parts. A Poch type manager, a fact lost on many fans on here who thought, like Levy, Jose and Conte could come in and turn water to wine.

I disagree that we don't have any of those types of players here. Kane is outstanding, you don't break the kind of records that he does without having the sort of Mentality Conte demands. And Lloris has been a world champion. We also know that players who have left Spurs have won trophies when playing with better players.

We just don't have enough of those players though. Some decent players have been bought by Paratici added to some already decent, almost world class players like Son.

So this relationship between Conte and Spurs was destined to end this way. Several posters predicted it. Back to the drawing board I guess. The right manager can come in and have a decent squad at his disposal. Not world beaters, Kane aside, but good enough to mould into winners as long as he is supported with the additional players that he needs.

Not sure if that is fair. He has improved teams. Bari were in relegation of serie b and he got them promoted. Juve, yes were rich but were midtable when he took them over. Inter hadn't won the league for 9 years.

Not sure if that is fair. He has improved teams. Bari were in relegation of serie b and he got them promoted. Juve, yes were rich but were midtable when he took them over. Inter hadn't won the league for 9 years.
Bari aside though (don't know too much about them), he spends a fair amount of money at those teams to get in the players he wants to win those titles, certainly relative to other teams in the league. He did at Chelsea too. He hasn't had that luxury at Spurs.

Last edited:

I mostly agree with your post - we don't have enough winners. Having been in coaching for many years I know one when I see one, and they are rare. And as good as Kane and Lloris are I don't think they are how you describe them. Kane has not made the difference when it really mattered IMO, and Lloris shat the bed for France but got away with it because he was surrounded by winners, would be the way I see it. Now I could be wrong in this opinion, but irrespective they have not made enough of a difference here in our trophy-defining games. Conte is culpable for a lot of things, no need to go over them as they are well described in this thread already, but I do think he is right on the miasma of meek acceptance that seems to permeate this club. Kane is a legend for his records but I would prefer he had no records and more medals.

Where I'm really disappointed with Conte is that he has not been more ruthless in addressing the problems he is now highlighting. If he can see the problems and call them out in an interview then why has he not done something to fix it? Was that not exactly why he was hired? I see underperforming players being given chance after chance rather than being made to ride the bench.

So Conte is not the solution but he has highlighted the problem if nothing else.

Last edited:

Yep agree and whilst I like Tuchel I fear he would suffer the same fate as Mourinho and Conte considering our poor defence. Since Poch left only once have we spent decent money on a centre back. That is a monumental dereliction of duty from the people running the club.

Apparently Poch won’t come for both this reason and because he is Florentino Perez’s choice to replace Ancelotti whenever it is that he leaves.

We need to therefore find a project type manager who can get us EL most seasons and the occasional CL place.

De Zerbi would probably be best for that.

But when you think how doped and corrupt the league is who really cares anymore.

I mostly agree with your post - we don't have enough winners. Having been in coaching for many years I know one when I see one, and they are rare. And as good as Kane and Lloris are I don't think they are how you describe them. Kane has not made the difference when it really mattered IMO, and Lloris shat the bed for France but got away with it because he was surrounded by winners, would be the way I see it. Now I could be wrong in this opinion, but irrespective they have not made enough of a difference here in our trophy-defining games. Conte is culpable for a lot of things, no need to go over them as they are well described in this thread already, but I do think he is right on the miasma of meek acceptance that seems to permeate this club. Kane is a legend for his records but I would prefer he had no records and more medals.

Where I really disappointed with Conte is that he has not been more ruthless in addressing the problems he is now highlighting. If he can see the problems and call them out in an interview then why has he not done something to fix it? Was that not exactly why he was hired? I see underperforming players being given chance after chance rather than being made to ride the bench.

So Conte is not the solution but he has highlighted the problem if nothing else.
I don't think it is about just being winners though, you also have to be a different level of player to the ones we have. Every player wants to win. But if we had a team of players with Kane's ability and application in every position, there is no doubt on my mind we would win trophies. Similarly if Kane moved to another team with better players he would not only break records but win trophies. The business model we have here of not buying the really top quality players but rather buying rough diamonds to polish works for the owners but is not enough to bring us consistent success unfortunately.

Yep agree and whilst I like Tuchel I fear he would suffer the same fate as Mourinho and Conte considering our poor defence. Since Poch left only once have we spent decent money on a centre back. That is a monumental dereliction of duty from the people running the club.

Apparently Poch won’t come for both this reason and because he is Florentino Perez’s choice to replace Ancelotti whenever it is that he leaves.

We need to therefore find a project type manager who can get us EL most seasons and the occasional CL place.

De Zerbi would probably be best for that.

But when you think how doped and corrupt the league is who really cares anymore.

There would be a lot less wrong with our defence if we didn't spend 95% of games defending. Once we get back to having some possession and territory again, suddenly our defensive issue will vanish

I don't think it is about just being winners though, you also have to be a different level of player to the ones we have. Every player wants to win. But if we had a team of players with Kane's ability and application in every position, there is no doubt on my mind we would win trophies. Similarly if Kane moved to another team with better players he would not only break records but win trophies. The business model we have here of not buying the really top quality players but rather buying rough diamonds to polish works for the owners but is not enough to bring us consistent success unfortunately.
Sure every player wants to win, but that is not the magic ingredient IMO. The players that I have been involved with that went on to be a success are a different breed. Winning is at their core. Now we might debate whether Kane has that magic ingredient or not, but the majority of the team are just talented footballers getting by on their talent. Maybe we are arguing the same thing here.

Honestly get rid of every single player and management from top down, get the lot out. They have stunk the place out before Conte.

A new approach Is needed.

Not even a hint of brown yet

img_20230310_030235-jpg.15253

Back