• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

With both Maddison and Kulusevski playing as AMs, are we seeing a tweak in how we play? The FBs get up in midfield, but stay a little wider, and form a kind of 2-3-2-3 formation. We have Son, Maddison and Udogie playing little triangles on the left and hopefully we'll see more of that on the right as well. This also leaves room in the middle for Solanke dropping a little deeper (or very deep as this image shows) or the deeper lying playmaker (in this case Bentancur) moving forward.

GYAzRIsb0AEOHKE
The right played much quicker on Saturday an and was so much more effective than the left. Helps you have a full back who can pass well and tow other players moving all the time

Ange makes tweaks all the time, it's absolute nonsense to say we play the same all the time.

The "same" is we play out the back, we play a possession based style, we attack all the time based on a model where players move into open space if there, create overloads.

Outside of that, it's way less strict than most believe.
He tweaked it Saturday for son to come not central and Maddison to go wider. Maddison completed something like 7 take ons… that is more than the wingers have done combined all season I reckon

Ange makes tweaks all the time, it's absolute nonsense to say we play the same all the time.

The "same" is we play out the back, we play a possession based style, we attack all the time based on a model where players move into open space if there, create overloads.

Outside of that, it's way less strict than most believe.

For the last two games at least (I can't remember much from Arsenal) Udogie has stayed much wider than before. Not hugging the touchline, but leaving more room for our midfielders to do their thing. It was mentioned on a podcast I listened to today as well.

I was thinking after the game how we could play with two AMs or 8s if you like instead of a 10 and a more box to box type player, and a deeper lying distributor behind them.

Yep, for me the formation was so much better. Bentancur playing a true number 6 role without the need to press high. Udogie sitting on the left, whereas Porro still joining up with Bents and keeping quite narrow. That meant Johnson could stay wide whereas Sonny could play narrow.

My only question is why it took so long to find this balance. So many fans were asking for this for most of 2024.

Yep, for me the formation was so much better. Bentancur playing a true number 6 role without the need to press high. Udogie sitting on the left, whereas Porro still joining up with Bents and keeping quite narrow. That meant Johnson could stay wide whereas Sonny could play narrow.

My only question is why it took so long to find this balance. So many fans were asking for this for most of 2024.

Even last year, we made tweaks but caveats

- First 10 games last season we really didn't need any tweaks
- Next 10 or so games we were absolutely fudged with injuries/suspensions, so was make do mode
- And back end of season we didn't have Bentancur anywhere near fit and Udogie was out.

A fit and in form Bentacur is a special player, he was the guy that made Conte's brick outnumbered midfield work.

I'd also say, have an actual focal point in Saolanke, and playing Kulu a little more centrally (even if he's technically wide, but allowed to come in more) are huge differences.

It feels like with Arsenal & Brentford, we actually know what our first 11 looks like.

Even last year, we made tweaks but caveats

- Next 10 or so games we were absolutely fudged with injuries/suspensions, so was make do mode
- And back end of season we didn't have Bentancur anywhere near fit and Udogie was out.

A fit and in form Bentacur is a special player, he was the guy that made Conte's brick outnumbered midfield work.

I'd also say, have an actual focal point in Saolanke, and playing Kulu a little more centrally (even if he's technically wide, but allowed to come in more) are huge differences.

It feels like with Arsenal & Brentford, we actually know what our first 11 looks like.
That focal point think can’t be under stated
Solanke brings us a ball retention dynamic we haven’t had for a while and he is also bloody mobile

Matter of opinion. Loads of us were saying we would come unstuck and were riding our luck with some phenomenal saves from Venom to save the manager's blushes. Even if the injuries hadn't have appeared, we'd have probably figured out the hard way that the system was slightly flawed.

If memory serves we are now 4 clean sheets from our last 40 competitive matches. I guess the next phase might mean we see some shut outs.

Was this weekend perhaps the watershed moment in Ange's tenure?

Matter of opinion. Loads of us were saying we would come unstuck and were riding our luck with some phenomenal saves from Venom to save the manager's blushes. Even if the injuries hadn't have appeared, we'd have probably figured out the hard way that the system was slightly flawed.

If memory serves we are now 4 clean sheets from our last 40 competitive matches. I guess the next phase might mean we see some shut outs.

Was this weekend perhaps the watershed moment in Ange's tenure?
Clean sheets don’t mean anything if you don’t score
We would have had more if we didn’t have the injury spell we had with no adequate back up
City the team at the top of the table are conceding at the same rate as us … but taking chances the other end

Clean sheets don’t mean anything if you don’t score
We would have had more if we didn’t have the injury spell we had with no adequate back up
City the team at the top of the table are conceding at the same rate as us … but taking chances the other end

I know when I looked before that the goals conceded that Villa had was a complete anomaly to getting top 4 when you look back 10 years. Of course, both our clubs were very similar last year.

We need to improve the goals for and against concurrently. I'd like to target something like 40 goals conceded. We only achieve that with more clean sheets.

I know when I looked before that the goals conceded that Villa had was a complete anomaly to getting top 4 when you look back 10 years. Of course, both our clubs were very similar last year.

We need to improve the goals for and against concurrently. I'd like to target something like 40 goals conceded. We only achieve that with more clean sheets.
We average 1 goal game with the proper defence and more without
2 goals for though regardless so that’s a big positive

We average 1 goal game with the proper defence and more without
2 goals for though regardless so that’s a big positive

What you write is the big question. On a sample set of 5 games including playing against 2 very good sides we currently average a goal a game. Last season we conceded 1.6 goals a game across 38 games. It's a massive improvement if the small sample set is reflective of the entire season ahead.

Let's hope so.

With both Maddison and Kulusevski playing as AMs, are we seeing a tweak in how we play? The FBs get up in midfield, but stay a little wider, and form a kind of 2-3-2-3 formation. We have Son, Maddison and Udogie playing little triangles on the left and hopefully we'll see more of that on the right as well. This also leaves room in the middle for Solanke dropping a little deeper (or very deep as this image shows) or the deeper lying playmaker (in this case Bentancur) moving forward.

GYAzRIsb0AEOHKE
That image says that Solanke played behind Bentancur. Surely not? I understand "average" can be very misleading if someone spends the whole time either in attack or defending corners, but it looks rather misleading and makes you question the rest of it.

that’s gonna melt social media
When all is he is saying is he will play the Tottenham way
And so it should, just cause spurs continually fail to show up when it matters and break my heart over and over again doesn't mean I want it to continue like that.

It's as if he's never given a press interview at times.

And so it should, just cause spurs continually fail to show up when it matters and break my heart over and over again doesn't mean I want it to continue like that.

It's as if he's never given a press interview at times.
Or it’s been miss quoted with missing things like punctuation or pretext
Well worth reading what was said before as that’s the context that is missing

Back