• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I loved him after that cameo against Charlton in the cup all those years ago, thought he would be great talked him up etc. Over the years my thoughts on him have changed, resulting in today coming full circle and hating him and never wanting to see him again in a spurs shirt, utter rubbish.

We will lose him for relatively little in a couple of years time after everyone balk's at what Levy asks for him.

I think he is officially the most frustrating player I have experienced watching play for Spurs and there have been a few over the journey!

That missed opportunity to get the ball to N'Jie at the end of the game with an early cross was criminal, the tame effort on goal was embarrassing, none of it was surprising.

Townsend was actually OK yesterday in the time he was on the pitch. He had that one poor moment when we were 3 on 2 and he hit a tame shot instead of picking out Alli who had pulled back to the edge of the box but otherwise he did reasonably well. He helped us stretch them and we did enough yesterday while he was on to have won the game. IMO he was certainly better than Chadli yesterday and was probably on a par with Lamela was as well.

He has enormous rushes of blood to the head. The break he had where Clinton was standing in acres of space inside their box and he chose to try and shoot through three players was infuriating.
I actually think it was a difficult ball to get it to N'Jie.... He couldn't play a low ball as there were defenders in the way and had he floated one across then the defenders could've re-adjusted and pulled across to snuff it out. I thought the right ball was one to Alli, who pulled back towards the edge of the box. However even then it looked as though Alli only did that just as Townsend was taking the shot. Had he executed the shot reasonably well he probably would've scored as it was taken from a decent position.

Townsend was actually OK yesterday in the time he was on the pitch. He had that one poor moment when we were 3 on 2 and he hit a tame shot instead of picking out Alli who had pulled back to the edge of the box but otherwise he did reasonably well. He helped us stretch them and we did enough yesterday while he was on to have won the game. IMO he was certainly better than Chadli yesterday and was probably on a par with Lamela was as well.
You're right, we did enough to win the game when he was on, trouble is he kept spazzing the ball at the keeper or the corner flag like he always does.

Anyone else in that position (especially the player he replaced) and we'd have won the match. Poch doesn't often get it wrong but that sub was one of the worst I've seen from him.

Just think all our fringe/returning players need game time. They are frustrating to watch as they search for touch and form.

Just think all our fringe/returning players need game time. They are frustrating to watch as they search for touch and form.
Townsend has had lots of time, he was the same of the bench as he is when in a longer run. I suppose he deserves some credit for consistency, but being consistent at not making the right choice, ever is pretty bad.

When he first came on, I thought that he was doing alright, because he did stretch the Swansea defence, but he soon resorted to the usual failings, going down blind alleys, blasting the ball wide etc. After 5 minutes, I came to the view, that Townsend wasn't going to contribute anything to a Spurs win. He has no football brain.

When he first came on, I thought that he was doing alright, because he did stretch the Swansea defence, but he soon resorted to the usual failings, going down blind alleys, blasting the ball wide etc. After 5 minutes, I came to the view, that Townsend wasn't going to contribute anything to a Spurs win. He has no football brain.
As I said before. He did more than Chadli yesterday and as much as Lamela did. Looks to me like he is being made a bit of a spacegoat here. I was at the game yesterday and it wasn't a poor performance at all. One poor moment with the 3 on 2, but even then the two players supporting him didn't really do enough to give him a great option.

Completely agree Finney, if you look at that break again you can see that he didn't actually have that many options, ali pulled back at the last minute and should have been the pass, but that option didn't materialize until too late.

He's quite clearly become a spacegoat.

As I said before. He did more than Chadli yesterday and as much as Lamela did. Looks to me like he is being made a bit of a spacegoat here. I was at the game yesterday and it wasn't a poor performance at all. One poor moment with the 3 on 2, but even then the two players supporting him didn't really do enough to give him a great option.

I agree, they were brick too.

I understand what you mean but the truth is that Townsend has played 90 games for us and he still has the same faults he started with. I hate slagging off our own players but I think we should move him on while he is still in the England squad and should attract a good price.

Completely agree Finney, if you look at that break again you can see that he didn't actually have that many options, ali pulled back at the last minute and should have been the pass, but that option didn't materialize until too late.

He's quite clearly become a spacegoat.
I haven't had the chance to see the game again (I will try to watch it tonight) but from my seat at The Liberty it looked as though N'Jie just kind of hung around in space at the back post without ever getting into a position where Townsend could really get him the bal. As Townsend was going forward with the ball during the 3 on 2 I wanted N'Jie to bust a gut to try to get up level with Townsend so that Townsend could put it in behind the defenders for him to run on to, that didn't happen. Ali also seemed to hold his position centrally, when I think the better run would possibly have been for him to look to try to get on the right of Townsend to open up the two defenders and create more space for Townsend coming inside. In the end Townsend's shot was very weak, but I think both Ali and N'Jie were also culpable in that break as neither of them really made the right runs.

I agree, they were brick too.
The thing is though - we were the better team for probably 60 to 70 minutes of the game and yet it seems several of our players have been brick? It doesn't really add up. Personally I thought Chadli was quiet yesterday, but other than him the rest of the team all contributed to us taking the game to Swansea and dominating them for a large majority of the game. Swansea usually look to control possession, but yesterday they were reduced to playing on the break.

Something that did stick out to me yesterday was how Ayew would've been absolutely perfect for our system. Great movement, excellent workrate, he is tenacious, has good touch, pace, seems to have good awareness, is happy both going wide and coming inside and seems to be a real team player. I know his wages were high but overall he still looks to be a real bargain

He had plenty of space out on the wing as Swansea were pushing up, it was a sensible move by Poch in that regard as as has been mentioned it stretched the play (similar to the Sunderland game when he was brought on in similar circumstances) however he never had the impact he did in the previous game - his crossing was off and his decision making was poor so ultimately he never really looked like contributing anything of note so just frustrated everyone - when he came on against Sunderland he was dangerous, yesterday he was not. Had he come on for Chadli and Lamela was still on the pitch to exploit the space created then maybe it would have had more of an impact?

He had plenty of space out on the wing as Swansea were pushing up, it was a sensible move by Poch in that regard as as has been mentioned it stretched the play (similar to the Sunderland game when he was brought on in similar circumstances) however he never had the impact he did in the previous game - his crossing was off and his decision making was poor so ultimately he never really looked like contributing anything of note so just frustrated everyone - when he came on against Sunderland he was dangerous, yesterday he was not. Had he come on for Chadli and Lamela was still on the pitch to exploit the space created then maybe it would have had more of an impact?
I thought Lamela had gone extremely quiet yesterday at the start of the second half and that was probably the period in the game where I felt that Swansea were on top. It seemed to me that Swansea had started to push their left back on to double up on Walker with Montero and create a numerical advantage on that side of the pitch. By bringing Townsend on with his more direct style I think that Poch was trying to ensure that Swansea couldn't risk playing so advanced out wide on that side. I think it worked as well, we then had Swansea's left sided players stretched apart further and it created space for us to play in.

I thought by and large Poch made the right subs yesterday. I would've left Kane on (despite him looking knackered and out of form) simply because he is the sort of player who can always get a goal, but I can't really blame Poch too much for subbing him as it seems Kane is close to burn out (and will have to carry on playing through that due to us only having a single number 9 option in the squad).

Lamela had gone quiet but i think with the addition of Townsend he would have benefitted from the extra space in the middle amd as we have seen in recent games if given a bit of space he can create openings, which is why i would have brought Chadli off and left Lamela on

Back