• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

Surely the former is better than actually believing his choices would have won that match?

I'd rather our manager was a bit of a prick than incompetent.

Why is it better?

The last line is funny because it's hard to decipher which one refers to AVB.

I think the problem is picking a team that he later admitted he knew they weren't fit enough to play, in a game in which we conceded 2 late goals.

I think what was meant by that is Ade and Rose werent fit hence being subbed off. In tandem I guess the players werent used to playing at that intensity. I dont think him deploying those tactics was anything to do with 'distancing' himself from AVBs tactics. Thats fairly absurd and on par with conspiracy theories.

I personally think its how he wants to play and whilst the players werent match fit in terms of intensity, it was Timmy implementing his ideas from the get go.

Why is it better?

The last line is funny because it's hard to decipher which one refers to AVB.

Seriously? This could get very boring very quickly if I have to spell everything out for you.

Either NBD chose for us to play the way we did against West Ham and he's incompetent or he did it for some ulterior motives and he's a prick. I would rather he's a prick as it makes him less likely to be incompetent.

Seeing as we're stuck with him in the short/medium term I'd rather he wasn't incompetent.

I think what was meant by that is Ade and Rose werent fit hence being subbed off. In tandem I guess the players werent used to playing at that intensity. I dont think him deploying those tactics was anything to do with 'distancing' himself from AVBs tactics. Thats fairly absurd and on par with conspiracy theories.

I personally think its how he wants to play and whilst the players werent match fit in terms of intensity, it was Timmy implementing his ideas from the get go.

I think he meant the team rather than Rose and Ade, considering he also said they needed to rest with the ball and didn't do it.

I don't think it's absurd to think TS was implementing tactics to show he wasn't AVB. He will have been in Levy's ear since AVB was appointed telling him this is what he would do if he had the job - he's got his chance and needed to prove why they should place their faith in him.

I don't have a massive problem with the idea of stamping your own authority on the team in general. But maybe there could have been some sort of middle ground where we relied on periods of rest more in the game (considering the squad would have been well versed in it this season after how they have played) rather than going gung ho the entire game. He knew the fitness of the squad, he knew how they would have been prepared, but I think there is an argument to say it's a tad unprofessional to send the team out there knowing that they wouldn't have the fitness to complete the game in that manner. The fact we conceded 2 late goals only shows that fact up in the spotlight even more.

I said earlier that there was no point in keeping this thread open and it would just be divisive to no actual positive purpose.

It is a shame I was proved right. No new information, thoughts or arguments. Just the same old, same old.

CLOSE IT NOW and move on peeps.

Seriously? This could get very boring very quickly if I have to spell everything out for you.

Either NBD chose for us to play the way we did against West Ham and he's incompetent or he did it for some ulterior motives and he's a prick. I would rather he's a prick as it makes him less likely to be incompetent.

Seeing as we're stuck with him in the short/medium term I'd rather he wasn't incompetent.

Why does the way we played against West Ham mean he's incompetent? The way we played against West Ham, Liverpool and City in the league wasn't though right?

I don't think AVB's a prick by the way, perhaps insecure and a little weird. I did find a manager who had a team with the talent this squad has playing the utterly ****e and blunt football we were playing as a sign of incompetence though. In one game Tim managed to make us look like a somewhat cohesive attacking unit, we even scored three goals, something AVB couldn't manage all season.

Last edited:

Why does the way we played against West Ham mean he's incompetent? The way we played against West Ham, Liverpool and City in the league wasn't though right?

I don't think AVB's a prick by the way, perhaps insecure and a little weird. I did find a manager who had a team with the talent this squad has playing the utterly ****e and blunt football we were playing as a sign of incompetence though. In one game Tim managed to make us look like a somewhat cohesive attacking unit, we even scored three goals, something AVB couldn't manage all season.

None of that other than your first sentence has any relevance to the point in hand. If you're unsure of what that is, it's only a page or two back - a response of mine to KD.

The reason it makes him incompetent is that every person watching the match that I spoke to (including a lot of neutrals), plenty of pundit views and that of NBD himself say that it was entirely the wrong approach.

I assume you can also see the wastefulness of lobbing in aerial crosses against West Ham's two defensive lumps too right? It might get the neanderthal section of the crowd going, but then so would replacing goal posts with jumpers and shooting all them cheating, diving foreigners that ruin our game.

None of that other than your first sentence has any relevance to the point in hand. If you're unsure of what that is, it's only a page or two back - a response of mine to KD.

The reason it makes him incompetent is that every person watching the match that I spoke to (including a lot of neutrals), plenty of pundit views and that of NBD himself say that it was entirely the wrong approach.

I assume you can also see the wastefulness of lobbing in aerial crosses against West Ham's two defensive lumps too right? It might get the neanderthal section of the crowd going, but then so would replacing goal posts with jumpers and shooting all them cheating, diving foreigners that ruin our game.

I don't think it's any more wasteful than having an isolated striker up front who thrives on supply with uncreative/limited central midfielders behind him and selfish, direct inverted wingers either side. Not that I think we should go with what we saw against West Ham in the Cup again but we were pretty much undone by our defenders being beaten aerially, something which could've happened whether we played 442, 4231, 433 or any other accepted formation by the smart fans.

I was feeling optimistic, until I saw that from Sugar.

Although, did he have a good opinion of Harry? Stopped clocks, right twice and all that...

If anyone ever needs to know how to make a good football decision, just ask that misogynist and IP thief, then do the precise opposite.

I have to say, seeing that Sugar said that makes me shudder. Rarely have I held such contempt for a man associated with our club. The fact he is a 'Lord' tells you how cheap and easy those titles are to give away...

I think the problem is picking a team that he later admitted he knew they weren't fit enough to play, in a game in which we conceded 2 late goals.

No you missed the point. He was BRAVE and GAMBLED against wet spam. We went off fast and quick and tried to score early. We nearly did. In fact we should have been 2-0 up at half time. His subs were virtually forced on him. His centre back pairing were poor aerially and we were without our three best headers of a ball in defence.

His tactics were all perfectly justified. They didn't come off. Fair enough. Too early to judge. But who knew the team would only be able to last 80 minutes. At this stage of the season, a shocking indictment on the previous regime.

No you missed the point. He was BRAVE and GAMBLED against wet spam. We went off fast and quick and tried to score early. We nearly did. In fact we should have been 2-0 up at half time. His subs were virtually forced on him. His centre back pairing were poor aerially and we were without our three best headers of a ball in defence.

His tactics were all perfectly justified. They didn't come off. Fair enough. Too early to judge. But who knew the team would only be able to last 80 minutes. At this stage of the season, a shocking indictment on the previous regime.

Anyone with the slightest understanding of football could have told you that if they'd known what our game plan was and no, it's not a shocking indictment on the previous regime. The exact same happened with Southampton against us (and they weren't even attacking that much, just pressing) and would with a vast majority of teams if they went gung ho without slowing things down at times.

That's your view, that winning football only comes from going to score first and thinking about holding onto it later...but it doesn't mean it is winning football. We played a quick tempo, we didn't score enough, we conceded late goals. So all the time people said to me 'AVB's plan is flawed, it doesn't take into account what happens if the opposition scores first', the West Ham game was a perfect opportunity for me to say 'This shows why the Sherwood plan is flawed, it doesn't take into account what happens if we fail to score in our dominant stage and they hit us late on when we're knackered'.

No strategy is perfect, but we clearly obviously saw the downside against West Ham. I don't have a problem with how Sherwood wants to play, the only problem is playing a system that he knows the squad hasn't been prepared for fitness wise all season long. We are out of a cup for another season because of that decision.

Anyone with the slightest understanding of football could have told you that if they'd known what our game plan was and no, it's not a shocking indictment on the previous regime. The exact same happened with Southampton against us (and they weren't even attacking that much, just pressing) and would with a vast majority of teams if they went gung ho without slowing things down at times.

Our game plan was to score early. It didn't happen. If we had scored early, especially if we had scored twice as we deserved to do so, then there would have been plenty of opportunities to rest with the ball later on. We lost because the subs were virtually forced on us and we didn't have our three best defensive headers of the ball available to us.

Against Southampton, it may have escaped your notice, but we WON playing those tactics. In fact we finished strongly and while Southampton came at us late on, Soldado missed three good chances to make it an emphatic victory.

That's your view, that winning football only comes from going to score first and thinking about holding onto it later...but it doesn't mean it is winning football. We played a quick tempo, we didn't score enough, we conceded late goals. So all the time people said to me 'AVB's plan is flawed, it doesn't take into account what happens if the opposition scores first', the West Ham game was a perfect opportunity for me to say 'This shows why the Sherwood plan is flawed, it doesn't take into account what happens if we fail to score in our dominant stage and they hit us late on when we're knackered'.

No strategy is perfect, but we clearly obviously saw the downside against West Ham. I don't have a problem with how Sherwood wants to play, the only problem is playing a system that he knows the squad hasn't been prepared for fitness wise all season long. We are out of a cup for another season because of that decision.

I agree that no strategy is perfect, but given the choice, I would much rather go with Sherwoods higher tempo start than AVB's highly dangerous strategy of starting slowly, conserving energy and hope it all comes right late on. This maybe ok with a world class talent like Bale to win you games late on, but generally in my view is very contingent on a number of things happening:

1. The opposition don't score first. At home we didn't win or even draw this season if the opponent took the lead.

2. The opponents don't score more than once. As soon as this happened we were opened up at will and succumbed to some heavy drubbings.

3. The opposition tire themselves out against our high possession game. This only works if they are chasing down the ball. In many games, most opponents just let us have the ball and pass sideways in our own half. It didn't tire them out at all.

4. It relied us scoring late on in games and then hoping we could hang on. If we accomplished the first, then we were living on a knife edge that teams couldn't/wouldn't score. Hull, Crystal Palace and Swansea probably should all have got something out of those games. We were lucky with Penalty decisions both for and against us.

Regarding AVB's supposed talents as a coach, a simple balance sheet analysis will demonstrate that most players regressed under AVB than improved.

Improved

Bale - although it could be argued that this was as much down to the man himself than anything AVB did

Townsend - improved this season, but could equally have been down to his time at QPR

Walker - maintained his early promise but still has brain frat moments and still can't cross for toffee.

Regressed

Lloris - became increasingly unreliable after AVB's frankly idiotic decision to ignore medical advice and leave him on at Everton

Verts - he took a top quality CB and made him play left back against his will and destroyed his confidence.

Dawson - a lion of a player in a blood and guts team, but AVB wanted to play a high line, but all his CB's apart from Kaboul lack the pace to play this and are therefore regularly exposed.

Naughton - he took a competent RB and played him out of position at LB in a role he wasnt suited to

Ade - apart from Chelsea away, AVB couldn't get a decent performance out of him last season, and completely mismanaged the situation this season

Lennon - took one of the most exciting wingers in England and effectively neutered him to such an extent he was more known for his defensive duties than his attacking flair

BAE - one of the best left backs in the PL under Redknapp AVB made him into pale impersonation of his former self

Dembele - has all the tools to be a quality player, but looks much worse for us than he did at Fulham

Sig- a much better player than his performances under AVB showed

New Signings (x7) - not one has played anything like they did for their previous clubs or indeed countries

Corners and free kicks - don't get me started........

Conclusion - a massive negative balance under AVB.

I agree that no strategy is perfect, but given the choice, I would much rather go with Sherwoods higher tempo start than AVB's highly dangerous strategy of starting slowly, conserving energy and hope it all comes right late on. This maybe ok with a world class talent like Bale to win you games late on, but generally in my view is very contingent on a number of things happening:

1. The opposition don't score first. At home we didn't win or even draw this season if the opponent took the lead.

2. The opponents don't score more than once. As soon as this happened we were opened up at will and succumbed to some heavy drubbings.

3. The opposition tire themselves out against our high possession game. This only works if they are chasing down the ball. In many games, most opponents just let us have the ball and pass sideways in our own half. It didn't tire them out at all.

4. It relied us scoring late on in games and then hoping we could hang on. If we accomplished the first, then we were living on a knife edge that teams couldn't/wouldn't score. Hull, Crystal Palace and Swansea probably should all have got something out of those games. We were lucky with Penalty decisions both for and against us.

Regarding AVB's supposed talents as a coach, a simple balance sheet analysis will demonstrate that most players regressed under AVB than improved.

Improved

Bale - although it could be argued that this was as much down to the man himself than anything AVB did

Townsend - improved this season, but could equally have been down to his time at QPR

Walker - maintained his early promise but still has brain frat moments and still can't cross for toffee.

Regressed

Lloris - became increasingly unreliable after AVB's frankly idiotic decision to ignore medical advice and leave him on at Everton

Verts - he took a top quality CB and made him play left back against his will and destroyed his confidence.

Dawson - a lion of a player in a blood and guts team, but AVB wanted to play a high line, but all his CB's apart from Kaboul lack the pace to play this and are therefore regularly exposed.

Naughton - he took a competent RB and played him out of position at LB in a role he wasnt suited to

Ade - apart from Chelsea away, AVB couldn't get a decent performance out of him last season, and completely mismanaged the situation this season

Lennon - took one of the most exciting wingers in England and effectively neutered him to such an extent he was more known for his defensive duties than his attacking flair

BAE - one of the best left backs in the PL under Redknapp AVB made him into pale impersonation of his former self

Dembele - has all the tools to be a quality player, but looks much worse for us than he did at Fulham

Sig- a much better player than his performances under AVB showed

New Signings (x7) - not one has played anything like they did for their previous clubs or indeed countries

Corners and free kicks - don't get me started........

Conclusion - a massive negative balance under AVB.

So are you saying those players regressed this season, or had all those players who in your mind regressed, regressed by the end of last season?

Just checking as it would seem unfair to judge based on a bad patch that he didn't get the chance to get out of, i.e. after the Hull league game

So are you saying those players regressed this season, or had all those players who in your mind regressed, regressed by the end of last season?

Just checking as it would seem unfair to judge based on a bad patch that he didn't get the chance to get out of, i.e. after the Hull league game

A bit of both. Some players regressed last season ( Ade, BAE, Lennon) some this season, mainly after AVB blunders (Lloris, Naughton, Verts, Daws). Oh, and you can add Defoe to that list. One PL goal in 2013. Fantastic.

Last edited:
Back