• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

Not as a poacher that's for sure. Imo he was expected to do everything, drop deep and collect, lead the line, finish chances, close down etc etc. There was no specific plan imo to his game but playing Soldado as a complete striker? hmmmm it's not going to work.

it breaks my heart to say this, but for once i disagree strongly with you.

if soldado was given those instructions then he has to be the biggest block head in the face of the universe. cause he just did not do those things

Like picking a team/style that intentionally distances oneself from one's predecessor, rather than the best one to win the match?

That's your belief and i doubt i will be able to change it.

My belief is that he picked a team that he thought could win FIRST AND FOREMOST. Did the thought of him distancing himself from AVB's negative style go through his head at any point? dunno but i would say it's a high probability that it did but above actually wanting to win the game first? ummmmm no.

it breaks my heart to say this, but for once i disagree strongly with you.

if soldado was given those instructions then he has to be the biggest block head in the face of the universe. cause he just did not do those things

I thought you would disagree with this statement tbh but i stand by it.

He was expected to drop deep and look for the ball a lot of the time...that's is my opinion. He also did close down an awful lot...basically we bought a poacher and decided it was best to play him as a complete striker (which is utterly ridiculous being that he's far from a complete striker).

That's your belief and i doubt i will be able to change it.

My belief is that he picked a team that he thought could win FIRST AND FOREMOST. Did the thought of him distancing himself from AVB's negative style go through his head at any point? dunno but i would say it's a high probability that it did but above actually wanting to win the game first? ummmmm no.

I really hope his reasoning was to distance himself, because I fear what that match says about him tactically if not.

I thought you would disagree with this statement tbh but i stand by it.

He was expected to drop deep and look for the ball a lot of the time...that's is my opinion. He also did close down an awful lot...basically we bought a poacher and decided it was best to play him as a complete striker (which is utterly ridiculous being that he's far from a complete striker).

He closed down because the whole team was supposed to press, but I don't think he was supposed to play as a complete striker, which means it isn't ridiculous if we didn't buy him to do that :)

Well you're inferring that we setup the same in both games, if you think that then you're wrong.

Not at all - in fact that couldn't be further from the truth.

I think NBD set us up against West Ham in a manner that set him as far apart from AVB as possible. I think SCIB was his team.

He closed down because the whole team was supposed to press, but I don't think he was supposed to play as a complete striker, which means it isn't ridiculous if we didn't buy him to do that :)

We're not going to agree. IMO he was given instructions to go looking for the ball if it doesn't find you...hence him dropping deep a lot.

Our previous managers 'be patient and save your energy for later' tactics also worked a treat against the same team at home.

That tactic being right or wrong (you and I will debate that until the cows come home, I'm sure) has no bearing on the other being right or wrong.

Not at all - in fact that couldn't be further from the truth.

I think NBD set us up against West Ham in a manner that set him as far apart from AVB as possible. I think SCIB was his team.

So which setup is the best one to win us the match? Always Very Boring's successful 4231 which garnered superb results such as Spurs 0-3 West Ham, Spurs 0-5 Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project 6-0 Spurs?

So which setup is the best one to win us the match? Always Very Boring's successful 4231 which garnered superb results such as Spurs 0-3 West Ham, Spurs 0-5 Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project 6-0 Spurs?

The correct formation is completely irrelevant - I think you've massively misread or failed to comprehend my initial point.

The issue is picking a formation one knows will reduce our chances of winning merely to distance oneself from one's predecessor.

Am I missing something? What is wrong about a new coach trying to stamp his authority by playing under his own conditions with his own formations and tactics?

The correct formation is completely irrelevant - I think you've massively misread or failed to comprehend my initial point.

The issue is picking a formation one knows will reduce our chances of winning merely to distance oneself from one's predecessor.

Well that's what you believe, or maybe he picked that team/formation because he felt it gave us the best chance of winning. You believe the former because you're an AVBeliever and evidently not a fan of Tim Sherwood.

Well that's what you believe, or maybe he picked that team/formation because he felt it gave us the best chance of winning. You believe the former because you're an AVBeliever and evidently not a fan of Tim Sherwood.

Surely the former is better than actually believing his choices would have won that match?

I'd rather our manager was a bit of a prick than incompetent.

Am I missing something? What is wrong about a new coach trying to stamp his authority by playing under his own conditions with his own formations and tactics?

I think the problem is picking a team that he later admitted he knew they weren't fit enough to play, in a game in which we conceded 2 late goals.

I don't think this line is where intelligent debate can happen, it's a bit along the type of argument we've surely all had at school like 'Sunderland beat Emirates Marketing Project, who just beat Arsenal so Sunderland are better than Arsenal'.

I don't think it's fair to say one system or the other is good or not based on matches against the same team. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing. We are all better than this :)

Back