• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

they'll be lots of "<manager> on brink of sack" in tomorrow's impartial press won't there

Very good weekend for us. And at least one of Arsenal or Everton will drop points as well.

AVB appears to have somewhat abandoned the inverted wingers nonsense and he deserves credit for that. I thought he was set in his way and would never change it but he's proved me wrong so far. It might work in the future but for now lets just stick to what we know being that it's served us well before.

Either 2 wingers in their 'normal' position or one direct winger and one inverted 'winger' on the other side. **** playing 2 inverted wingers for now.

Either 2 wingers in their 'normal' position or one direct winger and one inverted 'winger' on the other side. **** playing 2 inverted wingers for now.

I think Lennon has shown him it can work with a normal winger as both a possession keeper and as an attacking threat when we are pushing to score. Lennon has always been very tactically aware and a good decision maker, so it's good he's been able to show the manager this way can work.

There is a slight concern though that we might become too predictable in terms of our goal threat if we are playing pure wingers plus a playmaker like Holtby. But then again, it didn't exactly work having inverted wingers in terms of goalscoring so as long as we are playing with good balance and supporting the striker when needed, normal wingers can seemingly work well.

We have 5 players for the wide positions though including Sig, something needs to happen there.

Agree. One inverted winger can work, remember when we used to have Lennon on the right and someone like Taino on the left under Jol. But you need the left back to offer width for it to work, so we need Rose back. Its too predictable having a right footer like Naughton who doesn't offer any real wing play.....

Chelsea points from first 15 PL games under AVB: 31

Chelsea points from first 15 PL games under Mourinho this season: 30

Haha wow...he really got treated like **** when he first came to England didn't he?

Some Spurs fans are incredible, last season under AVB we hit our highest points tally in this league, while this season we have a point more than we did after 15 games last season but some Spurs fans still want to see the back of AVB

Some Spurs fans are incredible, last season under AVB we hit our highest points tally in this league, while this season we have a point more than we did after 15 games last season but some Spurs fans still want to see the back of AVB

Some of us do yeah, while we pound his gorgeous ass! AVB <3

i'm sure tomorrows papers will be full of talk of Jose getting the bullet, I mean AVB had one bad result and the knives came out, i'm sure there is no anti-spurs bias that led to that and thats the way it is for everyone...

i'm sure tomorrows papers will be full of talk of Jose getting the bullet, I mean AVB had one bad result and the knives came out, i'm sure there is no anti-spurs bias that led to that and thats the way it is for everyone...

Moyes will likely get a bit more of tomorrow's papers ..

Jose is a proven commodity in England, the press like to go after the new/young foreign manager in the PL, they had an agenda against AVB, similar to they went after Ramos early.

Only because Lennon's in the best for of our 3 right-siders.

4 of our 5 wide players are naturally inverted (Chadli and Siggy are right-footed left-siders, Lamela and Townsend are left-footed right-siders).

Townsend can easily play on the left.

It's not his prefered side though. My point is that inverted wingers isn't something we are imposing on our wide players, it's something that all but one of them do naturally.

It's not his prefered side though. My point is that inverted wingers isn't something we are imposing on our wide players, it's something that all but one of them do naturally.

I would suggest you are being disingenuous, most wingers naturally favour their stronger foot, which means a naturally left footed player will more often than not cut in when played on the right flank and go down the byline if played on the left and vice versa for right footed players, which means in effect it is being imposed

Doesn't do much good for the striker though as Townsend in particular likes to cut in and shoot rather than cross or slip a pass through.

Back