• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Blimey, if only Nelson Mandela and Ghandi had had that attitude, right? The world would have been a much better place :)

Yup, you know, in history years from now it shall be recorded…

Nelson Mandela, Ghandi, NWND…

The difference is mate, the first two were known for peace…the last one is known for peacing people off!!!!!

:-k:-#:-"

Oh, so that's why i felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. Fine, well I will have my opinion and you can have yours. If you're happy with what AVB is doing, then good on you, I'm happy for you.

My question is if you are happy to watch the football being dished up by avb's team what is wrong with you?

Doing a bang up job.

I'll take your definition of **** over actually being **** any day.

Doing a bang up job?
We're 7th, we're not scoring, we're scraping results...just, against the likes of Hull at home!!

I won't be taking your definition of bang up job thank you very much!

This is what happens when we lose before an international break. Two weeks of arguing over "where it's going wrong" when if we had played three days later and tonked someone 4-0 people would be praising the team.

I think that we should wait til March/April and if the football is still of the same standard then we can come out and say it's all AVB's fault. IF we stop to think about it and consider how we have half a new team compared to last season and how most have had little or no pre season with one another, then we can explain some of the problems. As others have said, AVB did well last year with someone elses team and now he has his own players, but he won't have learnt enough about them in this short amount of time (considering some have been injured) to know how best to use them all. We didn't really get to see the best of Bale until March last year when he started playing in the middle.

Sorry, but where is the evidence that AVB's philosophies involve fluid play and stuff? Yes, it's clear he likes a high-line and attacking full-backs. I see that every time i see Spurs, with our full-backs pushed up at the half-way line, ready to be done by a long diagonal punt in behind when the last of our 100 sideways passes go astray.

I can see he likes a keeper to be off his line the instant the punt does go over the top. I see that all the time. I can see he values control. But control, while its not park-the-bus defensive, is AVB defending himself too much, its safety-first percentages football.

We retain possession all the time, what do we do with it? Its painful to watch. We don't do anything. And the thing is he did this at Chelsea, all the Chelsea fans I knew said "he'll make you boring to watch and you'll struggle against weak teams and get done on the counter all the time". You know what? I said you're just bitter that he's our new manager. It looks like they may be proved right.

He did this last season, so many games that were boring to watch, but Bale popped up with a goal, or we managed to get one from somewhere.

Pochettino has now got Southampton playing good football, so after half a season? Saints have had to bed in a lot of new players too, intact more players into their first team than we have.

This excuse of all these new players. Only Soldado, Paulinho and Chiriches have regularly started games for us!!! Even if you count Townsend as being new, who basically plays the same as Lennon, but with more shooting, then its still a stretch to explain the devastatingly awful football being played.

I trust what I am seeing, not what AVB wrote in a book while he was at Porto a few years ago, I am seeing a definite choice to play the way we are, basically it is always choose the safe pass, unless you see a stone-wall gap in their defensive make-up and you are sure you can make the pass…it's basically tiring the opposition out and waiting for the mistake.

The problem is in terms of effectiveness is if the mistake never comes, or if it comes, but you don't finish your one or two chances, or if they manage to score, then you're screwed.

Also, to watch its pretty horrible.

So please show me the evidence, as if i'm the jury right now, what i'm getting from you is "ignore all the blood splattered all over his apartment, the DNA traces on her body, the illegally owned shot-gun with his prints all over it…I met the guy a few weeks ago and he told me that he's a really calm kind of dude and he loves his wife, must be what he's really like, because you know, he said so!"

Argggggghhh...I would try and come back to every individual point in detail but I'm really struggling to find the motivation to do it now.

We rarely get done by the instant punt over the top. It happens sometimes, sure. Because EVERY SYSTEM HAS BENEFITS AS WELL AS WEAKNESSES. Any other style anyone else advocates will have just as many weaknesses, and then when something goes against us using that style in a future Spurs team everyone will be saying that is the major issue behind the team. We drop our defensive line deeper? Great, we then allow the opposition the freedom to move into our half, what if they slice us open that way because we haven't gone deep enough to leave space in behind? What if we go really deep to nullify that space, only we don't have the players to block out teams that way and our attacking players can't get on the ball in the oppositions half? There will be a negative to absolutely every system. As it is though the ball over the top rarely catches us out, and as has been said, teams like Chelsea tried it all half and looked foolish because we mopped it up every time. And once we start getting better with the ball, the chances to exploit us that way will be lessened further.

Control is control, it's not defensive. It is control. It's not all out attack let's have a ****ing go at them, but it's not defensive either. It just isn't. And if played well, we pin the opposition back in their half and play the match, and the season, on our terms, dictating ourselves when we increase the tempo and when we rest with the ball. It is how a top club plays.

Southampton have Wanyama in midfield who is basically a 'win the ball and give it simple' kind of guy. Their entire attack is basically the same, with the same attacking full backs and Lovren coming in to defence. Their big attacking signing, Osvaldo has struggled. Does that mean he is destined to be rubbish though? If you were a Saints fan would you want Osvaldo out of Southampton because you have seen with your own eyes that he isn't very good? Or do you give the guy a chance to settle in, get used to the ideas he has been given and see if he can prove his worth?

Well done, you've gotten that 'if we don't score and the opposition score we are screwed' with this choice of system. But what if we start the game by blitzing the opposition, we pepper their goal but they are alert and keep us out. They then exploit our tiredness towards the end of the half and hit us with a goal. We try the same thing second half, try to blitz them but get stung on the counter again. The opposition now shuts up shop while we have expended our energy trying to make early breakthroughs. The problem is you see, if we don't score using that strategy and the opposition does, we are screwed.

Your analogy is flawed because AVB actually has played good football and been successful with previous clubs, he just isn't doing it right now in this stretch of form. His Porto team was good to watch. I'm not just basing it on a book written about him (although it is an interesting read). I think the problem is, with the style he wants to get to, if you aren't doing it well, it doesn't look very good. Even if we do create a lot of chances fans don't seem to appreciate it as much like for example in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game, many were surprised watching it back how many chances we had. It's because of the nature of the play, we can be on a slow tempo for a good while and all of a sudden a good chance appears out of nowhere. But as I said, if you don't play this system well, it doesn't look good. It looks laboured and almost pointless. Martinez was getting stick at the start of the season for Everton's pointless sideways passing, only after the transfer window they hit a nice bit of form. Potchettino got it last year. AVB gets it too. But once it clicks with us, we will be fine. And I maintain that the Norwich game at the start of the season, while not one of the greatest performances ever, was actually hugely encouraging and better than anything we produced against a lesser team at home in the entirety of last season. It was fluid, the movement was excellent and we had a great tempo. I think that is what we are working towards on a consistent basis and I think it's the fairest assumption to say that once the attacking players 'get it', then we will get back to it.

I must be watching another team to some of the posters around here, but I think we play some really awesome football a lot of the time under AVB.. I admit that we have been poor on occasion this season, but name me a team who hasn't been?

Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we showed glimpses of real cohesion and flare in my opinion.. When it all clicks I am confident well start banging them in.. People are just so impatient and damned short sighted these days, it's a bloody scourge!

I must be watching another team to some of the posters around here, but I think we play some really awesome football a lot of the time under AVB.. I admit that we have been poor on occasion this season, but name me a team who hasn't been?

Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we showed glimpses of real cohesion and flare in my opinion.. When it all clicks I am confident well start banging them in.. People are just so impatient and damned short sighted these days, it's a bloody scourge!

Agreed 100%.

I'd be way more patient if we had a creative midfielders that just haven't clicked yet.
But instead we have Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue.
And these ugly ducklings aren't going to turn into swans overnight.
I just cant see us ever playing good football without a creative central midfielder in the team.

Ahh and of course you conveniently neglect to mention Lewis Holtby, Gylfi Sigurdsson or Christian Eriksen in your list of 'ugly ducklings' ..

The four you mention are more industrial players indeed, but no less vital to our team structure.. Perhaps one issue has been the combination of midfielders used, too much industry and not enough intricacy, but AVB will have his reasons for that I am sure.

I firmly believe an attacking force of:

--------------------------------Soldado------------------------------------
Siggy/Chadli---------------Eriksen/Holtby---------- Lamela/Townsend

has huge potential, with any combination of ugly ducklings Sandro/Capoue + Paulinho/Dembele supporting would be how I view it..

For whatever reason AVB hasn't really gone for any formation like this too often, but there is plenty of time and I am sure we will see something like it more often in the near future.

couldnt disagree more

and its not some of the posters that are seeing it different , its alot of them and a lot of spurs and more importantly alot of football fans in general universally

i mean really , it can be some serious snore enduing stuff which i dont have a problem with necessarliy if thats the bird we are going to ride but to then call that awesome stuff...i can only think that you haven't seen some really exciting teams play in the last 20 years or so

cause "really awesome alof of the time" this is not IMO

couldnt disagree more

and its not some of the posters that are seeing it different , its alot of them and a lot of spurs and more importantly alot of football fans in general universally

i mean really , it can be some serious snore enduing stuff which i dont have a problem with necessarliy if thats the bird we are going to ride but to then call that awesome stuff...i can only think that you haven't seen some really exciting teams play in the last 20 years or so

cause "really awesome alof of the time" this is not IMO

I think the point is that indeed, a lot of the time we play some bad looking stuff, but when it all comes together and clicks we as a team put nice moves together. At the moment it is happening more in smaller moments in games rather than for sustained periods of pressure, but it is there within the team. And you have to think that as the comfort grows with the methods it will become more apparent.

Does anyone remember at the start of AVBs reign, Graham Roberts was one of his most vocal critics, especially against the style of football. He then got invited to the training ground by Donna Cullen, spoke with AVB, and was then convinced the good football will come eventually but that we are goin through a process right now to get there. I think if we got similar opportunity to listen to AVBs plans we might all be similarly convinced...maybe even NWND!

No, but full-backs are often more attacking when they're coming from deep on the over-lap. At the moment if anything they're more likely to just get in our winger's way and increase the congestion and there isn't much room for them to build up a head of steam going forward.

We're in general just pushed up far too high and making the pitch far too congested, we need to loosen up a bit and be a bit more flexible in the play. Push up at the right time and force mistakes, but be prepared to drop off too. A classic example of the successful teams is that when a centre-back has the ball they will drop off. They know the centre-back doesn't have the ability to be likely to hurt them with an accurate through-ball or dribble, but as soon as the ball is fired into a danger man then its push-up and press in packs!

I'd also like our full-backs to hold off on pushing up until a wide-midfielder or wide forward has the ball, go on a run from deep ready to be played in.

The thing is we are very vulnerable to the counter, being so pushed up as well, Hull, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Sheriff, well most teams this season have managed to create chances against us, often fluffing them by just one ball over the top or slid in-between our centre-backs and full-backs for someone to run onto.

Sheriff was the best example as they had two pacey strikers that constantly got in behind with one ball over the top despite us bossing possession as usual not doing anything with it.

We're vulnerable because we're not creating chances, the opposition don't feel under pressure and are able to pick their time and their pass.

Could you kindly take the time to explain our large amount of clean sheets this season? Or should I just give in and accept that we are the luckiest team alive? Is that the jist of things?

Could you kindly take the time to explain our large amount of clean sheets this season? Or should I just give in and accept that we are the luckiest team alive? Is that the jist of things?

Don't you understand? We're too defensive, just in the wrong areas of the pitch and the clean sheets (like penalties at the other end) are masking the travesty that is AVB's incompetent coaching.

Without a doubt some of that has been down to AVB's "system." But also down to the fact we have some brilliant individuals who get us out of the ****, Lloris, Sandro and Walker running back at break neck speed. Have you seen the number of times we have been cut open at will this season? Arsenal for example, despite us "dominating" looked like they would score with every attack. Saudi Sportswashing Machine how many times did they cut us open before they scored? I remember at least 1 brilliant last ditch tackle by Chiriches. Sheriff did the same and as for West Ham enough said and I said to my mate before that game our "luck" will eventually run out given the number of chances we concede. I do believe it is a combination of system and the fact we have a very expensive squad of very good players. How good would the "system" have been when we had the dross of the 90s?

Last edited:

Without a doubt some of that has been down to AVB's "system." But also down to the fact we have some brilliant individuals who get us out of the ****, Lloris, Sandro and Walker running back at break neck speed. Have you seen the number of times we have been cut open at will this season? Arsenal for example, despite us "dominating" looked like they would score with every attack. Saudi Sportswashing Machine how many times did they cut us open before they scored? I remember at least 1 brilliant last ditch tackle by Chiriches. Sheriff did the same and as for West Ham enough said and I said to my mate before that game our "luck" will eventually run out given the number of chances we concede. I do believe it is a combination of system and the fact we have a very expensive squad of very good players. How good would the "system" have been when we had the dross of the 90s?

We'd probably play a different system with our 90s squad - it wouldn't have had the quality to retain possession or play a high line.

We'd probably play a different system with our 90s squad - it wouldn't have had the quality to retain possession or play a high line.
ah but we don't when Friedal plays and he definitely does not suit a high line. We should have a second system for when he plays.

ah but we don't when Friedal plays and he definitely does not suit a high line. We should have a second system for when he plays.

I think that's why he doesn't get all the cup games - id have thought Gomes would be the ideal second choice for our high line

I'd say we did play a different system for Friedel - at the beginning of last year we didn't play a proper high line and only started on it when Lloris came in.

At Chelsea his job was to implement that style because he had been told to by Roman. Here, he can give Levy the benefit of his experience and say it will take time.

Once we are playing the high line I think it's Brad's job to adjust for the team, not the whole team to adjust for Brad. It would create more trouble than it is worth.

Back